Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Composting

Does anyone have any first hand experience on the effectiveness of
'compost accelerators' ?

What does this 'stuff' actually do. I think they are enzymes and
assume they somehow accelerate the bacteria decomposition process.
Confirmation would be enlightening and useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
Does anyone have any first hand experience on the effectiveness of
'compost accelerators' ?

What does this 'stuff' actually do. I think they are enzymes and
assume they somehow accelerate the bacteria decomposition process.
Confirmation would be enlightening and useful.

If you can build the compost heap with well balanced content that is
well mixed into a thermally efficient compost container then no
accelerator is needed.
However most of us probably have no ideal compost 'heaps' fed with large
influxes of grass cuttings in summer, leaves in autumn etc. using an
accelerator in these circumstances does seem to help although I've not
done scientific comparative tests.
I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin coughed up some electrons that declared:

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
[...]

If there are stables nearby, a good idea (and free) is to take some bags and
collect some fresh steaming manure. Mix that in and you'll get the heap
going and the result is excellent compost. Worked a treat for me.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

I think its just a high nitrogen content fertilizer.
You need a lot of nitrogen to kick start the heap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

Why pay for the branded stuff - I use sulphate of ammonia which is cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

I think its just a high nitrogen content fertilizer.
You need a lot of nitrogen to kick start the heap.

And that fresh manure of mine was almost certainly full of horse wee so lots
of nitrogen, plus all the bugs. That probably explains why it worked well.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the most effective solutions is to simply wee
on your heap.

I can vouch for that. Great for star gazing too!

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:14:50 +0100, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience on the effectiveness of
'compost accelerators' ?

What does this 'stuff' actually do. I think they are enzymes and
assume they somehow accelerate the bacteria decomposition process.
Confirmation would be enlightening and useful.

They work - but they won't salvage a poorly-made heap.

Essentially you need to maintain a balance of nitrogen and oxygen, and
this is done by layering the heap - alternating between soft, green
material and harder, more woody stuff. Accelerators tend to add more
nitrogen, which quickly increases the heat in the heap.

Some commercial accelerators contains enzymes and the like, but many
gardeners add a nitrogen shot by using readily available ingredients
such as nettles. One of the most effective solutions is to simply wee
on your heap.

The bottom line is that is you build and maintain the heap correctly
you shouldn't need to add any additional boosters.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
wrote
dennis@home coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

I think its just a high nitrogen content fertilizer.
You need a lot of nitrogen to kick start the heap.

And that fresh manure of mine was almost certainly full of horse wee so lots
of nitrogen, plus all the bugs. That probably explains why it worked well.

Human urine works just as well as an accelerator and is readily
available.

Search Google for 'compost and urine'

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
[...]

Tim - I would be careful about that now. There was a question on the
BBC radio garden programme some weeks back about plants that had
failed - runner beans and the like - and the answer was that the
farmers are using a new weedkiller that does *not* become inactive
when in contact with the soil, passes through cows and the likes and
retains it's activity in the manure.

Farmers are meant to notify manure users but no doubt they don't read
all all the small print.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham coughed up some electrons that declared:

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
[...]

Oh...

They didn't mention if it was "Graze-On" did they?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience on the effectiveness of
'compost accelerators' ?

What does this 'stuff' actually do. I think they are enzymes and
assume they somehow accelerate the bacteria decomposition process.
Confirmation would be enlightening and useful.

They work - but they won't salvage a poorly-made heap.

Essentially you need to maintain a balance of nitrogen and oxygen, and
this is done by layering the heap - alternating between soft, green
material and harder, more woody stuff. Accelerators tend to add more
nitrogen, which quickly increases the heat in the heap.

Some commercial accelerators contains enzymes and the like, but many
gardeners add a nitrogen shot by using readily available ingredients
such as nettles. One of the most effective solutions is to simply wee
on your heap.

But watch out for the neighbours ..maybe better to use a bottle first
and take it to the garden ...LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct, 13:47, Alan wrote:
In message , Tim S
wrote

dennis@home coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

I don't know what is in them but the Garotta brand has been around for
years (50?) so i doubt tat it is particularly high tech.

I think its just a high nitrogen content fertilizer.
You need a lot of nitrogen to kick start the heap.

And that fresh manure of mine was almost certainly full of horse wee so lots
of nitrogen, plus all the bugs. That probably explains why it worked well.

Human urine works just as well as an accelerator and is readily
available.

Search Google for 'compost and urine'

S'alright for you gents ;o(

(And I don't mean women have difficulty Googling)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A beer in the garden, sort of thing? Sounds good to me!
Good excuse for a couple of sneaky pints on the sly....topping up the
nitrogen levels in the compost heap.
Ah....but which beer is best???
Could take quite a while to find out...

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Oh...

They didn't mention if it was "Graze-On" did they?

Aminopyralid:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct, 08:46, Tim S wrote:

If there are stables nearby, a good idea (and free) is to take some bags and
collect some fresh steaming manure. Mix that in and you'll get the heap
going and the result is excellent compost. Worked a treat for me.

I was told by an elderly & dedicated vegetable grower that horse
manure usually contains residues of the worming drug with which horses
are treated and this will kill most of the earthworms in the soil &/or
brandlings in the compost.

There's no stables near me, so I've never tested this wisdom.