Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Builder left debris behind ...

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:45:52 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Jul 5, 5:20*am, "
wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:48:37 -0400, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 07/04/11 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:44 pm, "Percival P. *wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

When I opened up a knee wall area to put in storage shelves, part of the
framing created small cavities that were to be covered with drywall.

Before I closed it up, I had each of my 4 kids draw a picture, sign it,
date it and stash it in a cavity. If anyone ever remodels that room,
they'll find a few cute surprises.

I know people who have put the day's newspaper in such places. *The way
newspapers are going, those who find them likely won't have a clue what they
are. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

My previous house was around five hundred years old.

Are you the original owner?

I did some replastering work and behind the old plaster I found a
fireplace in the wall thickness (which was stone, over four feet
thick.)
The hole had been filled with loose stones which I removed in order to
cement them back as not being cemented had caused the trouble.
It was filled with all sorts of junk including pottery, jars, glass
bottles, leather shoes, toys, big nails. I found out it was about 150
years old. Apparently it was customary to put stuff like this in the
house walls for good luck. So, I deemed it wise to put it back.

In another part of the house I found a horse shoe built into the wall.
This must have been done when the house was orginally built. I put
that back as well. No point in taking chances.
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://
www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
Document
nameKmlFile/name
Style id="sn_ylw-pushpin01"
IconStyle
scale1.1/scale
Icon
hrefhttp://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png/
href
/Icon
hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/
/IconStyle
/Style
Style id="sh_ylw-pushpin2"
IconStyle
scale1.3/scale
Icon
hrefhttp://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png/
href
/Icon
hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/
/IconStyle
/Style
StyleMap id="msn_ylw-pushpin130"
Pair
keynormal/key
styleUrl#sn_ylw-pushpin01/styleUrl
/Pair
Pair
keyhighlight/key
styleUrl#sh_ylw-pushpin2/styleUrl
/Pair
/StyleMap
Placemark
nameTy'r Ywen Farm./name
LookAt
longitude-3.020987665836357/longitude
latitude51.73579878392064/latitude
altitude0/altitude
heading0.01776560955128439/heading
tilt0/tilt
range47.49720295966286/range
altitudeModerelativeToGround/altitudeMode
gx:altitudeModerelativeToSeaFloor/gx:altitudeMode
/LookAt
styleUrl#msn_ylw-pushpin130/styleUrl
Point
coordinates-3.020987665836357,51.73579878392064,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/Document
/kml