Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Builder left debris behind ...

On 7/4/2011 9:35 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jul 4, 9:08 pm, wrote:
"Percival P. wrote in news:iutmq5$5rs$1
@dont-email.me:

.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Oh, yeah.

You should see what's under the concrete in your basement, and under the
topsoil in your yard.

I think the problem has gotten worse than in previous years, since many
places no longer allow builders to burn debris on-site like they used to.

--
Tegger

My comment will go off topic but this string made me think of it.

About a year ago we were doing some repair on our 5th wheel trailer so
we could sell it. On one side the basement floor floor had a small
area where the plywood sub-floor had rotted (basement is a lower
storage compartment on these RVs). I decided to do the repair right
and cut out an entire section of the floor and replaced it with
plywood. When the floor panel was removed the insulation, which
rested on a rubber belly membrane, was damp. I pulled the insulation
out and got some similar fiberglass bat insulation to replace it. As
I was preparing to install the insulation it occurred to me if water
found its way in again, the insulation would again get soaked, again
exposing the lower plywood to rot.

At that time we were cleaning up the gift shop of the museum where we
do volunteer work. I remembered we had a bunch of 2" rubber balls we
were going to donate to the towns Christmas parade group for give-
away's. When it went to the museum I also found a box full of yellow
rubber ducks that were also slated for give away, so I grabbed a hand
full.

The dozen or so balls and ducks worked well. I scattered them around
the rubber membrane, put the insulation bat in and installed the new
plywood floor. A little Bondo smoothed things out and I reinstalled
the vinyl flooring. It was as good as new.

As I was cleaning up a vision came to mind. Some day, in the future,
some RV repair guy was called on to fix wiring or plumbing in this
area. As they often do, he was lie under the trailer with a box knife
and slice the section of membrane away for access. He would then be
pummeled with an avalanche or rubber ducks and balls. "What the
F***!!!!

RonB

U R Mean. :-)

TDD