Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computers on the way out

George wrote:
On 6/29/2011 6:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote:
no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never
occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though
because you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you
recognize as important you quietly make your way out to the lobby
and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons,
put it in a rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came
and got them. I don't know of anyone that is so important they
NEED to be 24 touch.

because you don't know of anyone, of course, means it never happens.

i'm on call 24/7 providing customer support for a computer company.
i AM the covering call. i can either sit at home next to my phone,
or i can do normal things like go out to to the corner restaurant
for dinner or a local movie as long as i don't mind being paged out
to go home at a moments notice. i prefer to have at least a modicum
of a life.

And yet you're educated beyond your capacity and the vibrate feature
eludes you?

Steve

I missed where he said he didn't used vibrate mode.

of course you did. i didn't indicate the loudness of my phone in my post,
and he just ASSUMED. it's in my pocket and on vibrate 100% of the time so
wouldn't bother anyone anyway.

his jammer would, of course, do the equivalent of turning off my phone
without my knowledge. considering that my customers are running E911
services, if i can't help them, his jammer would cause police/fire/ambulance
departments not be able to dispatch for calls, or at least being delayed
when they have to fall back to paper/pencil dispatch systems.

all without his knowledge.

how many deaths could be attributed to his jammer?

sometimes actions could have unaccounted and unknowable consequences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, wrote:

Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer
reading old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse
telling you "give me your cell number and I will call you 45
minutes before you need to pick them up"?

What horsecrap! You are so busy in your life, your own family
members can't count on 5 hrs of concern on your part? They are so
insignificant a business deal or dinner date is more important and
THEY should be put on hold?

Take yer cell phone and jam it up yer ass! ...and don't bother to
call.

nb

Talk about bizarre conclusions.

Do some thinking for a moment. Suppose you are in the waiting room
biting your fingers because that is what they show on TV to show
concern. Do you imagine the door will fly open and they will ask you
to scrub in because they ran into issues they can't solve? Would it
make any difference if you were standing across the street looking at
the waterfall in the park?

A family member had lifesaving surgery at one of only two of the
hospitals in the US that could do it. They are a premiere teaching
hospital. Not only do they look out for the patient but they do their
best to comfort and accommodate the family.

So when we brought him in for the surgery we stayed in the room until
after midnight with no objections from the hospital. When he came out
of surgery we were allowed in the ICU where they brought him when he
came out of anesthesia.

When I bring him back for a followup outpatient procedure which will
be necessary forever the nurse is the one who says "I am nurse Jones,
please give me your cellphone number and go out for a walk or for
lunch and I will call you" because they know you can prove nothing by
sitting in the waiting room getting frustrated and imagining
everything. And they also know that over 80% of the population have a
cellphone so it isn't an unusual idea.

Times change and ideas change.

And that was a nice respectful reply when no one attacked you. I
suppose that is part of your 99 year old cowboy persona with the
"jes" this and "jes" that?

there are plenty of tests or procedures that take a long time but have no
need for someone to wait for. dialysis comes to mind. the patient may need
dropoff/pickup, but certainly sometime to wait with them is unnecessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, HeyBub wrote:

Dilbert: "I think I saw an 'e'!"

zactily! lol....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 7:09 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

Na, i just don't need one. Bad enough having a land line. Ever notice
that every time a phone rings, someone WANTS something?

97.5% of my incoming calls are from SWMBO. I could very easily do without a
cell phone, and I am constantly being reminded of putting it in my pocket.
I don't mind for the important stuff, but when it is to just .......... what
you doing? how's it going? stuff, sorry, I'm busy. Go to voicemail.

I see people with sad sorry lives walking up and down the aisles at the
market blabbing every detail of their sad sorry lives LOUDLY over the phone.
Hell, just hook them up the PA system.

Sheesh.

Steve

I used to think a lot of people were crazy and talking to themselves or
having a conversation with an imaginary friend but it turned out to be a
Bluetooth cellphone headset hidden by their hair. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 3:58 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though because
you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as
important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a
rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I
don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.

Hell, I'm on 24 hour call for my customers who ask:

"Do you charge extra for nights and weekends?"

"No, I charge the same outrageous rate all the time."

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote
Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a
rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I
don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.

I used to be on call for a business that supplies home oxygen. Most
weekends I'd get one call at the most. If your oxygen machine broke down,
how long would you want to wait until you hear from me? Yes, there is a
backup for a few hours, but you'd still want to know I was going to take
care of you soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:47:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I used to think a lot of people were crazy and talking to themselves or
having a conversation with an imaginary friend but it turned out to be a
Bluetooth cellphone headset hidden by their hair. ^_^

Doesn't mean you were wrong about them being crazy.
One of my guys at work had one when they first came out.
He would walk and talk.
Sometimes he was walking toward me.
With his lips moving, looking at me, but I could barely hear him.
I'd say "What?"
I never got used to it.
He learned to turn around and walk the other way when he saw me.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I used to think a lot of people were crazy and talking to themselves or
having a conversation with an imaginary friend but it turned out to be a
Bluetooth cellphone headset hidden by their hair. ^_^

Doesn't mean you were wrong about them being crazy.
One of my guys at work had one when they first came out.
He would walk and talk.
Sometimes he was walking toward me.
With his lips moving, looking at me, but I could barely hear him.
I'd say "What?"
I never got used to it.
He learned to turn around and walk the other way when he saw me.

--Vic

I would see a Black woman using one of those things and they are often
very cross with the person on the other end. I didn't know they had a
Bluetooth headset and thought they were practicing to chew on somebody's
butt when they got home. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote

his jammer would, of course, do the equivalent of turning off my phone
without my knowledge. considering that my customers are running E911
services, if i can't help them, his jammer would cause
police/fire/ambulance departments not be able to dispatch for calls, or at
least being delayed when they have to fall back to paper/pencil dispatch
systems.

Of course, there would be NO land lines for people to call 911 for an
emergency in church or in a restaurant, right? Cell phones would be the
only form of communication. We're talking about zapping a boob who's being
a boob. We're talking about momentarily interrupting service. We're not
talking about a long term blockage. Apparently you don't know how these
things work. Just as long as you hold the button is as long as they work.
It's not as if one sets it to block for hours.

Do the math, genius.

And heaven forbid dispatch has to do a little work, and not rely on a GPS
signal from a cell phone which may be erroneous. What if a witness from
across the river calls it in? Or a witness in a high rise? Seems to me
that they would like to have the location of the ACTUAL emergency, and not
the witnesses.

HTH, but I doubt it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Yes, there is a
backup for a few hours, but you'd still want to know I was going to take
care of you soon.

I learned this with my first "brick" phone. If people could talk to a
human, they would wait, be patient, and be reasonable within a few
parameters. They just wanted a time and assurance that the service tekkie
would be there, and from X to XX o'clock. It was when they got a recording,
or didn't get ahold of someone they were unsure.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

That syndrome is pandemic at my office. First gap in conversation, they
are all whipping out their electronic mistresses, and closed off to
outside input. Reminds me of that ST TNG episode about the addictive game.

--
aem sends....

Or, a ring tone goes off, and everyone looks like a Western gunfighter.
Ready to slap leather. But only one gets satisfied. Groans from the
others.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I used to think a lot of people were crazy and talking to themselves or
having a conversation with an imaginary friend but it turned out to be a
Bluetooth cellphone headset hidden by their hair. ^_^

TDD

And then they look at you like you have interrupted them during climax when
you speak to them.

"You tawkin' to ME?"

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 10:45 PM, Steve B wrote:
"The Daring wrote

I used to think a lot of people were crazy and talking to themselves or
having a conversation with an imaginary friend but it turned out to be a
Bluetooth cellphone headset hidden by their hair. ^_^

TDD

And then they look at you like you have interrupted them during climax when
you speak to them.

"You tawkin' to ME?"

Steve

You have to admit that the changes in technology, which we all take for
granted and consider normal, that modify human behavior would seem alien
and bizarre to our younger selves much less than those belonging to our
parents generation. Both my late parents were WWII Army veterans and a
gadget as simple as a cellphone seen by them in the 1940's would be an
item belonging to outer space aliens. Imagine what people of that era
would think of a Bluetooth headset. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Total mental insanity, walking around, talking to ghosts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

You have to admit that the changes in technology, which we
all take for
granted and consider normal, that modify human behavior
would seem alien
and bizarre to our younger selves much less than those
belonging to our
parents generation. Both my late parents were WWII Army
veterans and a
gadget as simple as a cellphone seen by them in the 1940's
would be an
item belonging to outer space aliens. Imagine what people of
that era
would think of a Bluetooth headset. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote

[...]

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down. EMS calls
my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and don't get the call
because i happen to be sitting in the same restaurant that you're using your
jammer in. the E911 site computer stays down until I service it. the people
in the E911 area don't get a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the
30 seconds it would normally take.

it doesn't really matter if anyone at the restaurant we're in can reach 911
in their local area. they're not involved. it's the (many) thousands of
people in the remote area that are involved. their emergency services
computer isn't up, and won't get up until i get notified whereever I am, not
where the E911 computer is.

And heaven forbid dispatch has to do a little work, and not rely on a
GPS signal from a cell phone which may be erroneous. What if a
witness from across the river calls it in? Or a witness in a high
rise? Seems to me that they would like to have the location of the
ACTUAL emergency, and not the witnesses.

heart attack or rape in progress victims are rarely called in to EMS from
far away. usually it's the next table or a passerby.

HTH, but I doubt it.

Steve

self rationalizations to avoid having to think about the far reaching
consequences of your own illegal actions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
.com...

Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The smartphone
with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a tablet to connect
to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a larger screen. Portable,
mobile use anywhere. Should also kill computer desk sales. Works for me.

Where do you suppose most of the content that appears on smart phones and
tablets is produced? On desktop computers, that's where. That's because
trying to edit music tracks or do video production or create graphics or
even type a lot of text on itty bitty devices is at best a pain in the butt
if not downright impossible.

The desktop computer will be around for a long time because that's where
most of the work gets done. Portable devices are fun and even useful, but
they're not a replacement for desktop computers any more than cordless saws
are a replacement for a table saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down. EMS calls
my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and don't get the call
because i happen to be sitting in the same restaurant that you're using your
jammer in. the E911 site computer stays down until I service it. the people
in the E911 area don't get a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the
30 seconds it would normally take.

You are the only person in the entire world 24/7 that can answer
this call? What happens if you, yourself, are incapacitated. My
contention was that for most people (there may be a few exceptions and
you may even be one of those), there is no need for them to bother me.
They can just do things when someone else is on first call or make
arrangements to cover for them for awhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down.
EMS calls my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and
don't get the call because i happen to be sitting in the same
restaurant that you're using your jammer in. the E911 site computer
stays down until I service it. the people in the E911 area don't get
a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the 30 seconds it would
normally take.

You are the only person in the entire world 24/7 that can answer
this call? What happens if you, yourself, are incapacitated. My
contention was that for most people (there may be a few exceptions and
you may even be one of those), there is no need for them to bother me.
They can just do things when someone else is on first call or make
arrangements to cover for them for awhile.

how would i know that someone has to cover for me? as far as i can tell, i'm
available. someone, without my knowledge, prevented that.

and yes, i am first on call off hours for all customers worldwide for my
company, and am the only person at any one time doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 14:17:02 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down. EMS calls
my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and don't get the call
because i happen to be sitting in the same restaurant that you're using your
jammer in. the E911 site computer stays down until I service it. the people
in the E911 area don't get a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the
30 seconds it would normally take.

You are the only person in the entire world 24/7 that can answer
this call? What happens if you, yourself, are incapacitated. My
contention was that for most people (there may be a few exceptions and
you may even be one of those), there is no need for them to bother me.
They can just do things when someone else is on first call or make
arrangements to cover for them for awhile.

Whether anybody else can take the call is beside the point.
When you're on call you're on call.
It's not nice to rely on the backup if you're lucky enough to have a
rotating call list.
Many IT systems are complex to the point where getting them restarted
is a chore and can be easily screwed up.
I supported one system for nearly 2 years as the primary call, and the
only one who could handle problems expeditiously.
The others on the list were practically useless.
I was on call even while on vacation.
And another system for less time on much the same basis, but even more
extreme.
Management decides. My input was to agitate for more staff and
training, quit, or squeeze for more salary.
I did the latter, and was satisfied with the outcome.
The only time I got really ****ed was when the phone rang, the DVD
was loaded, and the pizza delivery man showed up all at the same time.
But I had made my own bed.
Anyway, a vibrating phone or pager gets rid of the "disturb" problem,
so it's only an issue with rude people.
If they don't have a phone, they'll just cough and fart a lot.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

how would i know that someone has to cover for me? as far as i can tell, i'm
available. someone, without my knowledge, prevented that.

Okay, you are on the tangent introduced by the jamming guy while I am
still on my point about how most of the time jamming would be
unnecessary if people just did the things like eat out and go to
concerts, etc., when the were NOT on call so they could safely turn off
their cells and pagers. I'll try to keep up (grin).

and yes, i am first on call off hours for all customers worldwide for my
company, and am the only person at any one time doing that.

But there are others at other times, when you could do things that
require phones be turned off.