Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computers on the way out

I agree, some folks call too often, and say too little. On
the other hand, I'm one of the fortunate ones. When my phone
rings, it's typically customers wanting to spend money.

And people use Facebook much the same as the Yakafone. Too
much information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

97.5% of my incoming calls are from SWMBO. I could very
easily do without a
cell phone, and I am constantly being reminded of putting it
in my pocket.
I don't mind for the important stuff, but when it is to just
........... what
you doing? how's it going? stuff, sorry, I'm busy. Go to
voicemail.

I see people with sad sorry lives walking up and down the
aisles at the
market blabbing every detail of their sad sorry lives LOUDLY
over the phone.
Hell, just hook them up the PA system.

Sheesh.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 11:08 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:
Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The
smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a
tablet to connect to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a larger
screen. Portable, mobile use anywhere. Should also kill computer desk
sales. Works for me.

Client side: yes
Server side: no

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There are some laptops that have big enough screens and keyboards that I
could see one as a desktop replacement but it would have to be a quite
fast and powerful laptop for me. Besides, I'm as blind as a bat and
absolutely have to have a big screen monitor or I can't do anything.

As soon as they make a 24" or larger laptop, I plan to buy one. I don't
care how fast and powerful it is, because I only do one thing that
requires speed and power and I have a separate machine for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology
have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard
cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of
decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with
wireless signal.

Iridium might have succeeded, but it was 20 yrs. ahead of its time.
Maybe it's time to try that approach again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately:

"Anyone caught manufacturing, selling, owning, or using a jammer in
the U.S. is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison
for each offense."

Have a good attorney on retainer.

nb

That's really funny because the people who sell the cellphone jammers
have revealed the fact that their biggest customers are US government
agencies Federal, state and local. I would get a small one to switch
on and off whenever some rude asshole makes inappropriate use of their
cellphone because the importance of emergency calls concerns me. I would
hate to be responsible for interfering with an emergency call to a
doctor or someone who's job is to protect people. Those type folks will
excuse themselves and go to a quiet area to carry on a conversation. I
can usually tell who the rude, mindless, selfish jerks are so I would
enjoy a small jammer to mess with them by making their calls drop off.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 2:23 PM, dpb wrote:
George wrote:

Actually pretty accurate. Desktop sales continue to decline each year
in favor of more portable devices.

Which are ok for either req'd portability and/or the small viewpoint
few-minute task...

The newer smartphones do a pretty good job of panning and zooming. My
phone has an 8 megapixel camera so I am pretty sure it does photos and
video (it also does stuff like scanning barcodes and has software that
allows me to take a picture of a document and convert it into a PDF
and send it via its full featured email client if I want), I can
certainly do spreadsheets and I have no idea what cam/cam is.

But panning and zooming is _very_ time-consuming for _real_ work of any
great magnitude. And the input devices for manual interaction are, to
coin a phrase, "pathetic" simply owing to the size factor.

The workstation isn't going away; simply the number of alternates for
other purposes is going up. I'd wager a fair amount of any decline in
sales is tied to economic conditions more than the form factor for the
market wherein workstations are important.

There are simply different types of work being done on the different
platforms and I don't see that the large scale work is going to go away
but the more or less trivial application has always outclassed the
"power user" in sheer numbers and will continue to do so.

But as another poster notes, it's a far different thing to say that
other markets grow than that the whole workstation market is going away

Exactly, the OP likely works for someones marketing department.

And I do use the wireless hotspot for my tablet notebook.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 8:59 PM, mm wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:23:31 -0500, wrote:

George wrote:

Actually pretty accurate. Desktop sales continue to decline each year in
favor of more portable devices.

Which are ok for either req'd portability and/or the small viewpoint
few-minute task...

The newer smartphones do a pretty good job of panning and zooming. My
phone has an 8 megapixel camera so I am pretty sure it does photos and
video (it also does stuff like scanning barcodes and has software that
allows me to take a picture of a document and convert it into a PDF and
send it via its full featured email client if I want), I can certainly
do spreadsheets and I have no idea what cam/cam is.

But panning and zooming is _very_ time-consuming for _real_ work of any
great magnitude.

This is even why, as good as computer maps are, if I have a paper map,
it's better because I can pan and zoom in a centisecond.

But you need to have access to a paper map. Electronic maps bring a lot
to the table. I have never seen a paper map that can locate your
position on it and tell you which direction you are traveling (pretty
handy when it is pitch black in a rainstorm and you are in an unfamiliar
area or you got forced off the highway you knew because it was shutdown
say because of an accident).

I have also never seen a paper map where you could tap on it and have it
tell you the route to the nearest hospital or the location of nearby
restaurants (and link you to their website so you can look at the menu).

And the input devices for manual interaction are, to
coin a phrase, "pathetic" simply owing to the size factor.

The workstation isn't going away; simply the number of alternates for
other purposes is going up. I'd wager a fair amount of any decline in
sales is tied to economic conditions more than the form factor for the
market wherein workstations are important.

There are simply different types of work being done on the different
platforms and I don't see that the large scale work is going to go away
but the more or less trivial application has always outclassed the
"power user" in sheer numbers and will continue to do so.

But as another poster notes, it's a far different thing to say that
other markets grow than that the whole workstation market is going away

And I do use the wireless hotspot for my tablet notebook.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 7:13 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
Congoleum wrote in
:

Cellphone providers are becoming Drug Pushers.
They get you hooked on Smartphones, then they
start raising Data use pricing.

I wish someone would bring back the old time phonebooth;the REAL old ones
where you could sit down,close the door,and talk without others able to
listen in. then we would not have to hear THEM yammer,and they would not be
walking around not looking where they're going.

I am a heavy cell user but I also know that technology doesn't trump
basic courtesy and manners.

I find it really annoying to be assaulted by folks who are mannerless.
If I am at a service the phone is *off*. If I go to a movie the phone is
*off*. If I am at a restaurant the phone is on vibrate so I can see who
is calling but I will never answer it. If important I will walk out into
the lobby and return the call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The
smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in.

There are many many uses for desktops other than "facebook" and "home"
use...

For example is the grocery store going to get handhelds for the
checkout cash registers?

Are the department of motor vehicles clerks going to switch to
handhelds?

Are bank tellers going to switch to handhelds?

Then how about computer aided design of buildings, cars, homes, etc. I
would like to see someone do THAT on a tiny screen!

Draw this on your handheld...
http://www.revitcity.com/forum_files..._PLAN_A101.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 5:35 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:08:25 -0400, Dbdblocker wrote:

Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The
smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a
tablet to connect to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a larger
screen. Portable, mobile use anywhere. Should also kill computer desk
sales. Works for me.

You'll not experience the actual computing power of a desktop in a tablet
or smartphone for a good while to come. They couldn't touch this 4 ghz
quad core AMD/Asus combo with 8 GB ram, NVidia CUDA support and 2
terabytes of SATA 3 storage. Oh, forgot the 32" HD monitor.

How does that work out portability wise? Do you have any issues getting
it through the TSA checkpoints at the airport?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 7:32 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:27:52 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 6/28/2011 5:35 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:08:25 -0400, Dbdblocker wrote:

Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The
smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a
tablet to connect to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a
larger screen. Portable, mobile use anywhere. Should also kill
computer desk sales. Works for me.

You'll not experience the actual computing power of a desktop in a
tablet or smartphone for a good while to come. They couldn't touch this
4 ghz quad core AMD/Asus combo with 8 GB ram, NVidia CUDA support and 2
terabytes of SATA 3 storage. Oh, forgot the 32" HD monitor.

Nor can most people afford the no-longer-unlimited cell phone data
plans, and there are vast parts of the country where cell phones barely
work, if at all, for voice calls, much less a high speed data
connection.

I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology
have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard
cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of
decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with
wireless signal.

I took my IPad 2 on a flight across the country 2 months ago. The airline
had wireless. Boy what a joke that was. They use common carrier cell
towers that aren't even EVO1X. Once you get say 30 people online it's
useless. Unless you live in a large city, 4G is spotty. I have a 4G USB
stick for my netbook. It's like using 33.6 dial up. Nowhere near the
rated data transfer. Maybe in ten years when we're in generation 6 or 7
of cellular data it might be a bit faster but for now it sucks for
everything except text email and messaging.

Maybe try a different carrier? I have a 4G phone. When in a 4G area I
typically see 9 Mb/s download (24 Mb/s in Philly last week) which rivals
my cable modem at home. When in a 3G area I typically see 2 Mb/s
download which is also quite usable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-28, wrote:
Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out.

Nonsense.

Can't do graphics, photo, cam/cam, spreadsheets, and a dozen other
things on a cellphone or even a tablet. Yes, full desktops boxes will
lose popularity for many purposes and no doubt get smaller in size,
but will never be "on the way out", any more than TV's. Another
thing. I'll never use a cellphone or tablet for anything I need to
view. I'm a geezer and can't see something that small fer dammit, and
EVERYONE'S eyes get worse with age and EVERYONE ages.

nb

All those things will be in the cloud. 10 inch tab not big enough?
They will get bigger.

The Cloud does not equal mobile computing. You REALLY don't know
anything about this subject, do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-28, wrote:

All those things will be in the cloud.

Another fantasy scam!!

I won't even put my real name on the internet, let alone important
data. In case you haven't been paying attention, hackers are hacking
everything in sight, including govt security agencies! Putting
information on the cloud is a fool's game.

Cynically speaking, it's a good move if you want to outsource the
security issues and subsequent liability for when the security gets
breached. I can see companies choosing this for precisely that reason
- "Losing your data to hackers was not our fault! It was the cloud
storage company's fault!"

If you actually care about your data and security, that's a problem.
If you rely on cloud services, your data and apps will be a hostage to
the company's fortunes. **** them off? Congratulations, you've just
lost access to your data. Company went bankrupt? Same thing.

Ironically, the cloud concept is inherently disadvantageous to
American IT companies, because anything stored on US-based servers can
be accessed by the US gov't on demand. Foreign-based corporations and
individuals don't like that one bit. If they choose the cloud, they
will (and are) choosing companies that can keep their data offshore
and out of the US gov't's hands. This places US cloud service
providers at a competitive disadvantage. Of course, if it isn't the
feds snooping, it's the Chinese hackers you've got to worry about.

10 inch tab not big enough? They will get bigger.

Yeah, like I'm gonna hump around a 19" cellphone/pad.

They won't get bigger. There's a reason why the majority of books fall
within a fairly small size range - they're meant to be portable, after
all. And lcd screens are a good bit more fragile than books, and are
the single largest consumer of electricity in an electronic device.
Increase the screen size, you gotta increase the size of the battery,
too. Now you're talking real weight and bulk issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 8:34 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
The Daring wrote:

There are some laptops that have big enough screens and keyboards that I
could see one as a desktop replacement but it would have to be a quite
fast and powerful laptop for me. Besides, I'm as blind as a bat and
absolutely have to have a big screen monitor or I can't do anything.

As soon as they make a 24" or larger laptop, I plan to buy one. I don't
care how fast and powerful it is, because I only do one thing that
requires speed and power and I have a separate machine for that.

I'd only need the power if it was a desktop replacement. I have several
older laptops that I use for different purposes. One of them has a large
enough screen that I can use to watch TV and movies over the wireless
connection to my router. I can prop up in bed and watch TV/movies with
my earphones plugged in so I don't disturb my roommate.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

OR. OR OR they could just pick up a DAMN corded phone and use it.
We did just fine without cell phones.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

The house phone is usually out in the lobby but I know that in the more
exclusive restaurants, the waiter would bring a phone to a patron. I've
never seen a corded phone brought to someone in a theater or movie. The
people with class know how to act with a cellphone and will go to the
lobby to use their cellphone.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-28, wrote:
Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out.

Nonsense.

Can't do graphics, photo, cam/cam, spreadsheets, and a dozen other
things on a cellphone or even a tablet. Yes, full desktops boxes will
lose popularity for many purposes and no doubt get smaller in size,
but will never be "on the way out", any more than TV's. Another
thing. I'll never use a cellphone or tablet for anything I need to
view. I'm a geezer and can't see something that small fer dammit, and
EVERYONE'S eyes get worse with age and EVERYONE ages.

nb

All those things will be in the cloud. 10 inch tab not big enough?
They will get bigger.

The Cloud does not equal mobile computing. You REALLY don't know
anything about this subject, do you?

Unfortunately all of the marketing about "the cloud" has created the
perception that giving all your information to someone else to store on
their system out of your control aka "the cloud" is the way and the light...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

You can leave me out of the "We did fine without" group.

I would never ever go back to the days of wasting time because I didn't
have communications. If for example the utility notifies you that they
need to get into the apartment you own would you prefer hanging out for
the day waiting or having the utility person call your cellphone from
their cellphone 30 minutes prior to when they would be there?

If you were say driving to an event in the next state would you rather
find out there was a problem (person in accident etc) after you drove 4
hours or would you prefer to be alerted shortly after you turned the key
in your car?

Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer reading
old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse telling you
"give me your cell number and I will call you 45 minutes before you need
to pick them up"?

And the list goes on. There is just too much utility value not to have
and use one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though because
you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as
important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, George wrote:

Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer reading
old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse telling you
"give me your cell number and I will call you 45 minutes before you need
to pick them up"?

What horsecrap! You are so busy in your life, your own family members
can't count on 5 hrs of concern on your part? They are so
insignificant a business deal or dinner date is more important and
THEY should be put on hold?

Take yer cell phone and jam it up yer ass! ...and don't bother to
call.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though because
you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as
important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a
rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I
don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never
occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though
because you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you
recognize as important you quietly make your way out to the lobby
and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it
in a rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got
them. I don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24
touch.

because you don't know of anyone, of course, means it never happens.

i'm on call 24/7 providing customer support for a computer company. i AM the
covering call. i can either sit at home next to my phone, or i can do normal
things like go out to to the corner restaurant for dinner or a local movie
as long as i don't mind being paged out to go home at a moments notice. i
prefer to have at least a modicum of a life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-28, Dbdblocker wrote:

All those things will be in the cloud.

Another fantasy scam!!

I won't even put my real name on the internet, let alone important
data. In case you haven't been paying attention, hackers are hacking
everything in sight, including govt security agencies! Putting
information on the cloud is a fool's game.

10 inch tab not big enough? They will get bigger.

Yeah, like I'm gonna hump around a 19" cellphone/pad.

First panel:
Dilbert tells his dog he invented an internet RING!

Second panel:
Dog: "That's insane"
Dilbert: "Quiet, I'm surfing"

Third panel:
Dilbert: "I think I saw an 'e'!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 8:09 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

Na, i just don't need one. Bad enough having a land line. Ever notice
that every time a phone rings, someone WANTS something?

97.5% of my incoming calls are from SWMBO. I could very easily do without a
cell phone, and I am constantly being reminded of putting it in my pocket.
I don't mind for the important stuff, but when it is to just .......... what
you doing? how's it going? stuff, sorry, I'm busy. Go to voicemail.

I see people with sad sorry lives walking up and down the aisles at the
market blabbing every detail of their sad sorry lives LOUDLY over the phone.
Hell, just hook them up the PA system.

Sheesh.

Steve

That syndrome is pandemic at my office. First gap in conversation, they
are all whipping out their electronic mistresses, and closed off to
outside input. Reminds me of that ST TNG episode about the addictive game.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 9:41 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology
have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard
cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of
decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with
wireless signal.

Iridium might have succeeded, but it was 20 yrs. ahead of its time.
Maybe it's time to try that approach again.

Iridium is still there, with DoD as a silent partner. Absurdly
expensive, though, and as cell coverage footprint worldwide increases,
used less and less.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 9:58 AM, George wrote:
[...]

Shrug. Sure, if you throw enough money at it, you can get nice toy with
good connectivity. Some of us still cringe at paying $43 a month for
low-end DSL. High-end data plan? Ain't gonna happen.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve B wrote:

I want one.

Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately:

"Anyone caught manufacturing, selling, owning, or using a jammer in
the U.S. is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison
for each offense."

Have a good attorney on retainer.

nb

That's just for the little people. How in the world would they catch you?
You'd be gone before anything could be done. And who would associate some
old fart in Bermuda shorts and mismatching shoes and an Old Guys Rule T
shirt with something that high tech?

I won't say who, but a very close acquaintance of mine is a LEO. She has
THOUSANDS of copied movies. So much for the FBI disclaimer before movies.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

What he said. I got no problems with people staying in touch. I do have a
problem with some rude obnoxious filthy ring tone going off during church or
at a restaurant. And it seems like it takes them the full 15 seconds to
answer it. They know enough to download a ringtone, but can't figure out
the vibrate feature.

I'm checking a jammer out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, Steve wrote:

I want one.

[...]

Classy doctors use the vibrate feature. Unclassy people use "Bad to the
Bone" at highest volume. And usually take 20 seconds to answer calls.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

And yet you're educated beyond your capacity and the vibrate feature eludes
you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 6:10 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I have the least expensive published cable modem plan from Comcast at
home. I also have the least expensive data plan which is $29.95/month
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The
smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a
tablet to connect to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a larger
screen. Portable, mobile use anywhere. Should also kill computer desk
sales. Works for me.

Aw, crap! Why didn't you tell me before I replaced my 10 yr old PC.
And why didn't you tell me before I bought SHMBO an iPod 2 for her
birthday (in 5 days). You butthead!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology
have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard
cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of
decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with
wireless signal.

Iridium might have succeeded, but it was 20 yrs. ahead of its time.
Maybe it's time to try that approach again.

Iridium is still there, with DoD as a silent partner. Absurdly
expensive, though, and as cell coverage footprint worldwide increases,
used less and less.

But at least they moved away from their initial bend over and grab your
ankles if you want to use it guaranteed to fail business model pricing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-29, wrote:

Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer reading
old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse telling you
"give me your cell number and I will call you 45 minutes before you need
to pick them up"?

What horsecrap! You are so busy in your life, your own family members
can't count on 5 hrs of concern on your part? They are so
insignificant a business deal or dinner date is more important and
THEY should be put on hold?

Take yer cell phone and jam it up yer ass! ...and don't bother to
call.

nb

Talk about bizarre conclusions.

Do some thinking for a moment. Suppose you are in the waiting room
biting your fingers because that is what they show on TV to show
concern. Do you imagine the door will fly open and they will ask you to
scrub in because they ran into issues they can't solve? Would it make
any difference if you were standing across the street looking at the
waterfall in the park?

A family member had lifesaving surgery at one of only two of the
hospitals in the US that could do it. They are a premiere teaching
hospital. Not only do they look out for the patient but they do their
best to comfort and accommodate the family.

So when we brought him in for the surgery we stayed in the room until
after midnight with no objections from the hospital. When he came out of
surgery we were allowed in the ICU where they brought him when he came
out of anesthesia.

When I bring him back for a followup outpatient procedure which will be
necessary forever the nurse is the one who says "I am nurse Jones,
please give me your cellphone number and go out for a walk or for lunch
and I will call you" because they know you can prove nothing by sitting
in the waiting room getting frustrated and imagining everything. And
they also know that over 80% of the population have a cellphone so it
isn't an unusual idea.

Times change and ideas change.

And that was a nice respectful reply when no one attacked you. I suppose
that is part of your 99 year old cowboy persona with the "jes" this and
"jes" that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology
have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard
cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of
decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with
wireless signal.

Iridium might have succeeded, but it was 20 yrs. ahead of its time.
Maybe it's time to try that approach again.

Iridium is still there, with DoD as a silent partner. Absurdly
expensive, though, and as cell coverage footprint worldwide increases,
used less and less.

But at least they moved away from their initial bend over and grab your
ankles if you want to use it guaranteed to fail business model pricing.

DoD didn't have much choice but to step in- they were about to de-orbit
the birds, as required by multi-country agreement when a satt provider
goes belly-up. (Don't need dark junk up there, etc.) DoD needed portable
semi-secure comms Real Bad, and Iridium was the only ready-to-go tool on
the shelf at the time. So, they set up their own ground station in
Hawaii, got a vendor to do a comsec module for the original 2 versions
of the handsets, and not much has changed since then. The original
handsets are orphans at this point, (charging station even has a socket
for a Moto StarTac phone on it), but nobody has made a secure module for
newer handsets that meets DoD standards, which the commercial crypto
modules sold by other brands of satt phones do not.

All in all, a shotgun wedding that will dissolve as soon as either side
has a better option available.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 6:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

I missed where he said he didn't used vibrate mode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 4:58 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though because
you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as
important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a
rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I
don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.

Its a different world today. All sorts of businesses operate with much
less staff and also very flat management structure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Possible exception of Dr. Beeper, (who looks a bit like
Chevy Chase) and maybe the guy in the 3rd row who's having
chest pains?

I sit in the back row. If my phone rings, I dash out to the
hall. I get essentially zero social calls, they are all
customers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus