Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Computers on the way out

George wrote:
On 6/29/2011 6:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote:
no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never
occurs.

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though
because you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you
recognize as important you quietly make your way out to the lobby
and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There
was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons,
put it in a rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came
and got them. I don't know of anyone that is so important they
NEED to be 24 touch.

because you don't know of anyone, of course, means it never happens.

i'm on call 24/7 providing customer support for a computer company.
i AM the covering call. i can either sit at home next to my phone,
or i can do normal things like go out to to the corner restaurant
for dinner or a local movie as long as i don't mind being paged out
to go home at a moments notice. i prefer to have at least a modicum
of a life.

And yet you're educated beyond your capacity and the vibrate feature
eludes you?

Steve

I missed where he said he didn't used vibrate mode.

of course you did. i didn't indicate the loudness of my phone in my post,
and he just ASSUMED. it's in my pocket and on vibrate 100% of the time so
wouldn't bother anyone anyway.

his jammer would, of course, do the equivalent of turning off my phone
without my knowledge. considering that my customers are running E911
services, if i can't help them, his jammer would cause police/fire/ambulance
departments not be able to dispatch for calls, or at least being delayed
when they have to fall back to paper/pencil dispatch systems.

all without his knowledge.

how many deaths could be attributed to his jammer?

sometimes actions could have unaccounted and unknowable consequences.