Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Satellite locating tool

Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:18*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

There are tools. But they are expensive. There is a web site that
you can plug in your address and it will give you the direction to
most of the commercial satelites. You can even get an overhead view
of your property with directions on it.

Unless you are extremely wooded or pretty far to the north getting a
clear shot at the satelites is usually possible. If you want to swag
it, t's going to be somewhere between south east and south west at
about 90 - the deg of latitude you are located at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 12:16*pm, Tegger wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In article ,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

another neat way is to look up the dates and times of "sun outage" in
your area for that bird.

on those days, at those times, wherever the sun is, thats where your
bird is...

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 9:18 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

yes, but i have no idea what it is called. it is basically a tube they
look through with a compass and elevation scales on it. It's pretty basic.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:18*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

When you sign up for satellite service, the provider will install and
align the dish when he brings out the receiver. They also make the
connections from the dish to the receiver and TV set.

If this doesn't work for you, the start up program supplied with the
receiver will assist you(located at the TV set) and a helper(located
at the dish) to fine tune the aligment to your location.

JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me explain why I want this. I have two dishes for the Dish network.
They have been working well for about ten years. The dishes are aimed
through a hole in the trees. The problem is that the trees are growing
and I would like to determine when I can expect tree branches to block
the signal (and what I have to do if it happens). I would like to aim a
tool at the satellite and be able at the same time to see the nearby
tree branches. Possible?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:

Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

Yes. But a compass and a "angle finder" at Home depot in the tools
dept. works too.

If you have a iPhone iPad or Android device, there is an awesome app
that you just point the screen in the sky and it tells you what is
there!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 3:18*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

You can buy an inexpensive "satellitefinder" meter.
It goes in the sat. dish cable between the TV and the dish and draws
power from the TV.
They have either a meter or LCDs to indicate signal strength. You move
the dish about to get the max signal. A quarter inch makes a big
difference on the dish.
There is a list of satellites here.You need a compass to determine the
approximate location from this list and zero in with the meter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...chronous_orbit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 12:45*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Let me explain why I want this. *I have two dishes for the Dish network..
They have been working well for about ten years. *The dishes are aimed
through a hole in the trees. * The problem is that the trees are growing
and I would like to determine when I can expect tree branches to block
the signal (and what I have to do if it happens). *I would like to aim a
tool at the satellite and be able at the same time to see the nearby
tree branches. *Possible?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

From your second post it seems you have an arborist problem, not an
alignment one. Call a tree man (One with a bucket truck) and have
him open up the window in the branches.

JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 10:18 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Yes. Anything from a compass/inclinometer to a fancy expensive
purpose-built meter they hook up to the dish, to special software on a
laptop that does the same thing. Compass/inclinometer (and experience)
is enough for most installs- they know the direction and elevation of
the birds they use- verify with a compass, and look up. (One reason it
is best to get dishes installed when trees are in full leaf.) If you
have two people and some walkie-talkies, you can also zero it in with
most satt receivers- aim at best guess, and see if the receiver
handshakes, shows the right name, and wiggle it around till you max out
the signal.

If you wanna play, buy a receiver and dish at a garage sale/thrift store
for 10-20 bucks, and hook it up to an old TV. You can't get any
programs, but it will still read the self-id from the birds.

It gets a tad harder with a 2-way dish setup.
I'd ask on the alt.dbs.* groups.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 12:44 PM, GROVER wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:18 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you sign up for satellite service, the provider will install and
align the dish when he brings out the receiver. They also make the
connections from the dish to the receiver and TV set.

If this doesn't work for you, the start up program supplied with the
receiver will assist you(located at the TV set) and a helper(located
at the dish) to fine tune the aligment to your location.

JoeG

Some people prefer to install their own- the 'free professional
installation' is often worth what you paid for it. Whaddaya mean you
don't want a hole drilled through your living room wall behind your TV?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

What I really need is a viewer with a little magnification (like a small
telescope) that will also display (in the view) azimuth and compass
bearing. That way I can aim at the satellite (based on its coordinates)
and see if there are any branches that are too close.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 11:56*am, G. Morgan wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

Yes. * But a compass and a "angle finder" at Home depot in the tools
dept. *works too.

If you have a iPhone iPad or Android device, there is an awesome app
that you just point the screen in the sky and it tells you what is
there!

Another vote for the iphone app here. Can't believe how many people
are suggesting you do it the low-tech way. Good luck with that. The
iphone app I used about a year ago made it a piece of cake. You look
on the screen and as you move it around the skyline it will highlight
all of the sats for you superimposed on the image of the sky shot
through the camera. It's brilliant. I used it to relocate a directv
dish after rebuilding a roof. Was able to lock on to the signal
almost immediately, and then use the on-screen meters to fine tune to
a high signal strength (with helper watching the screen on the end of
the phone).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 8:16*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
What I really need is a viewer with a little magnification (like a small
telescope) that will also display (in the view) azimuth and compass
bearing. *That way I can aim at the satellite (based on its coordinates)
and see if there are any branches that are too close.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Use geometry. Measure the distance from the ground to the center of
your dish. Measure the distance across the ground from directly below
the center of yourr dish to directly below the "hole" in the tree.
You may need to put up a ladder and hang a weighted line to be exact.
Then you have one side of a triangle. Your satelite setup will give
you the degrees for your location. Calculate the height of that side
of the triangle, add the distance the center of your dish is from the
ground. You get the height of your "hole" in the trees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 12:45 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Let me explain why I want this. I have two dishes for the Dish network.
They have been working well for about ten years. The dishes are aimed
through a hole in the trees. The problem is that the trees are growing
and I would like to determine when I can expect tree branches to block
the signal (and what I have to do if it happens). I would like to aim a
tool at the satellite and be able at the same time to see the nearby
tree branches. Possible?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Maybe a tree trimmer would be an easier solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:

This thread got me curious: what would dedicated angle-seeking device

It's called an angle locator he

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-...ion/B00004T807

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:03:31 -0700, Oren wrote:

[snip]

The direct tv receivers (I've used) had an on screen menu (use remote
to find it). Put in your zip code and it lists some choices for
alignment (satellite). The same also has a signal strength meter that
gets louder when best aligned.

The ones I had wouldn't change the volume. The frequency would get
higher as the signal got stronger.

My old dish had a crude elevation gauge stamped in the LNB frame. I
just used a compass for a ballpark, then adjusted using the software
menu and slight moves adjusting the dish.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Any slogan simple enough to fit in a .sig is too simple to do any
good."
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:08:39 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jun 21, 8:16*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

Mrs. Johnson, I've asked you before to please stop trying to convince
us that the courses you made me take in high school were of any use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 21, 8:16 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
What I really need is a viewer with a little magnification (like a small
telescope) that will also display (in the view) azimuth and compass
bearing. That way I can aim at the satellite (based on its coordinates)
and see if there are any branches that are too close.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(440 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Use geometry. Measure the distance from the ground to the center of
your dish. Measure the distance across the ground from directly below
the center of yourr dish to directly below the "hole" in the tree.
You may need to put up a ladder and hang a weighted line to be exact.
Then you have one side of a triangle. Your satelite setup will give
you the degrees for your location. Calculate the height of that side
of the triangle, add the distance the center of your dish is from the
ground. You get the height of your "hole" in the trees.

Mrs. Johnson, I've asked you before to please stop trying to convince
us that the courses you made me take in high school were of any use.

Yeah, nobody has any practical use for how the hypotenuse of a triangle
relates to the sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuG_RTS15I
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2011 11:57 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 21, 8:16 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

I love that video, it demonstrates the desperate need for common sense.
ROTFLMAO

TDD