Posted to alt.home.repair
cubby cubby is offline

Default Satellite locating tool

On Jun 21, 11:56*am, G. Morgan wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location
of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given
location?

Yes. * But a compass and a "angle finder" at Home depot in the tools
dept. *works too.

If you have a iPhone iPad or Android device, there is an awesome app
that you just point the screen in the sky and it tells you what is
there!

Another vote for the iphone app here. Can't believe how many people
are suggesting you do it the low-tech way. Good luck with that. The
iphone app I used about a year ago made it a piece of cake. You look
on the screen and as you move it around the skyline it will highlight
all of the sats for you superimposed on the image of the sky shot
through the camera. It's brilliant. I used it to relocate a directv
dish after rebuilding a roof. Was able to lock on to the signal
almost immediately, and then use the on-screen meters to fine tune to
a high signal strength (with helper watching the screen on the end of
the phone).