Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Satellite locating tool

On 6/22/2011 11:57 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:08:39 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jun 21, 8:16 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
What I really need is a viewer with a little magnification (like a small
telescope) that will also display (in the view) azimuth and compass
bearing. That way I can aim at the satellite (based on its coordinates)
and see if there are any branches that are too close.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(440 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Use geometry. Measure the distance from the ground to the center of
your dish. Measure the distance across the ground from directly below
the center of yourr dish to directly below the "hole" in the tree.
You may need to put up a ladder and hang a weighted line to be exact.
Then you have one side of a triangle. Your satelite setup will give
you the degrees for your location. Calculate the height of that side
of the triangle, add the distance the center of your dish is from the
ground. You get the height of your "hole" in the trees.

Mrs. Johnson, I've asked you before to please stop trying to convince
us that the courses you made me take in high school were of any use.

Yeah, nobody has any practical use for how the hypotenuse of a triangle
relates to the sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuG_RTS15I

I love that video, it demonstrates the desperate need for common sense.
ROTFLMAO

TDD