Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Property Rights question...

I have a back fence, that is the property line with my neighbour.

On MY side of the fence are thick cedar trees that go about 15 feet high.
Scattered throughout the cedars are small trees (not cedar) or something
that are growing and poking thru the fence into the neighbours sides.

Tonight the neighbour decided the reach over the fence line and clip the
those little weedy trees that are growing from my land in-between they nice
cedar tree barrier, also on my land. He's reaching over the fence trying to
clip them as low as he can on my side. Al this wile my wife and I are
eating dinner and we are assuming he can see or at least hear us.

So I went to the back fence and said hello and asked him what he's doing.
He says " just clipping these ugly little trees poking thru the fence. I
don't mind the cedars, just trying to get these little suckers". I told
him that I prefer to prune them myself and that I'd prune them to my liking
when I get the chance.

This is only my second year of owning a house and lot so I want to ask, was
this neighbour in the wrong to reach over the fence and clip on my side?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message
[...]

Where, exactly , is the property line? Do not assume it is the fence line;
fences are often set in a few inches. If he was clipping growth on his
property, it is OK. He is allowed to cut anything that overhangs onto his
property, but is not allowed to intrude on you.

My guess is that he is trying to be helpful, not cause problems or willfully
damage your property.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"The Henchman" wrote in :

[...]

In cases like this it is best to stay on friendly foot. So the thing to
ask is whether he'd mind discussing with you what it is that is bothering
him, so you can take care of your side of the fence. We had almost the
reverse. Our fence with one set of neighbors is 1 foot inside my
property and one of the neighbors wanted to plant flowers and bushes on
her side of the fence, but on our 1 foot strip property. That 1 foot
actually runs next to a concrete path that is in fact the other
neighbor's property (one side of our property abuts 2 other properties.
We told her that she could indeed use our property for her flowers and
bushes if they didn't get too big, but that it did remain our property.
So now everyone is satisfied. I think we'll outlive the 2 older widows

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess is that he is trying to be helpful, not cause problems or
willfully damage your property.

Given OP's description of the growth in question as weedy, I'd say
that's also likely. But, it _is_ pushy to be on his side of fence w/o
asking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Key in all this is what Ed asked. Where exactly is the property line
relative to the fence? In most places the neighbor may trim whatever

However, from a practical perspective, I don't think what the
neighbor did is so bad, even if he cut back a few more inches
onto the other side. A few factors come to mind:

Those weedy branches probably grow fairly quickly and by
cutting them back a few extra inches it won't have to be done
so often.

It would seem since they are on the backside of the fence
doing that would not even be noticeable to the first property
owner.

Reaching over the fence, it would not seem he could cut
them back all that much further than he's entitled to
anyway

He's just trying to remedy and ugly situtation on his side.

If they are weedy branches, what exactly are they, how do
they look and maybe it would be better for both parties if
they were removed all together.

I would have approached the property owner first to discuss
the issue before doing the cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:49*pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
[...]

You've been there 2 years and you have let weeds grow in the back
until they are growng through the fence. My guess is he figured you
don't care. Otherwise you would have cut them down a long time ago.

He probably figured you were just inconsiderate. Now he probably
thinks you're an inconsiderate asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is only my second year of owning a house and lot so I want to ask, was
this neighbour in the wrong to reach over the fence and clip on my side?

You've been there 2 years and you have let weeds grow in the back
until they are growng through the fence. *My guess is he figured you
don't care. *Otherwise you would have cut them down a long time ago.

He probably figured you were just inconsiderate. *Now he probably
thinks you're an inconsiderate asshole.-

well neigbor could of sprayed them with roundup on his side and entire
plant would of died

small stuff growing thru fence cracks tends to get larger over time:
( vegation can damage fence and at minimum make fence maintence
impossible
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 19, 10:31 pm, dpb wrote:

My guess is that he is trying to be helpful, not cause problems or
willfully damage your property.

Given OP's description of the growth in question as weedy, I'd say
that's also likely. But, it _is_ pushy to be on his side of fence w/o
asking.

--

Key in all this is what Ed asked. Where exactly is the property line
relative to the fence? In most places the neighbor may trim whatever
is extending into their property back to the property line.

Well, it would be a stretch to think the side of the fence the OP lives
behind is on the other guy's property...unless it is entirely the other
guy's fence which the posting doesn't imply at all.

Now it _could_ be the OPs wrong about where the property line actually
is, yes...

However, from a practical perspective, I don't think what the
neighbor did is so bad, ...
He's just trying to remedy and ugly situtation on his side.

Isn't that pretty much what I had just said????

Other than I still say it's pushy to reach over the fence into the
neighbor's air space w/o saying something; especially when they're
(apparently) pretty obviously right out there...

I would have approached the property owner first to discuss
the issue before doing the cutting.

Indeed, I think there's an echo in here...

If it's a bunch of stuff basically growing up as weeds from seed, the OP
probably _should_ take 'em out before they become even more of a
nuisance on his side and get large enough to be a major hassle, but if
it's on his side its his call (again w/ the assumption the fence is the
property line as per often the case in subdivisions, particularly the
back-to-back case as OP says this is in his post).

Irregardless, I say it's pushy and borderline offensive to intrude into
the other yard over the fence w/o permission or request or explanation.
Don't know where OP is located; locale can have a lot to do w/ what is
considered good etiquette; around here "you just don't do that!".

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

And you didn't keep up with your own junk because???????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think he was wrong. I think your stern rebuke should do.
If not, photographs and calling the cops will help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
jamesgangnc wrote:

You've been there 2 years and you have let weeds grow in the back
until they are growng through the fence. My guess is he figured you
don't care. Otherwise you would have cut them down a long time ago.

He probably figured you were just inconsiderate. Now he probably
thinks you're an inconsiderate asshole.

Too much gets read into the actions of others sometimes. I have a friend
who was doing some remodeling a couple of years ago, and a scrap piece
of 2x4 that he cut off tumbled over the fence into the neighbor's yard.
He figured the neighbor would just throw it away, since it was a scrap.
But the neighbor ended up tossing it back over the fence. My friend was
furious about what a ****ing asshole the neighbor was. He read it as the
neighbor telling him, "I'm not throwing your ****ing piece of scrap
away, do it yourself, asshole." I think it could have just as easily
been "This doesn't look like a piece you need, but just in case, here,
I'll toss it back over there for you."

Neighbor disputes come up frequently on a.h.r., and IMO, the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a neighbor.

Amen.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

What's plan B, if the fence reacher turns out not to be
cooperative?

Would it be too much to make offer like "arms reaching over
the fence will be cut off, at the fence line". ??

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a
neighbor.

Amen.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

neighbor wars can be nasty and no one wins. except lawyers
if things
go to court

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a
neighbor.

Amen.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

neighbor wars can be nasty and no one wins. except lawyers
if things
go to court

I just went through something like this. The neighbor can trim
anything on his side of the property line as long as he doesn't kill
or seriously damage the tree in the process (OK, this is Canadian Law,
but my understanding is it's pretty much the same in the US).
Technically, he's not allowed to reach over the fence to cut it on
your side, but if he's only cutting a few extra inches off the
branches on your side, then there's no big bad there. It is
considered polite to inform your neighbor before trimming their tree,
but not required. As the other posters mentioned, it's not worth it
to start a feud over it.

There are a few caveats about new trees and such, but because you were
only there for two years, they wouldn't apply. Also, as an amusing
aside -- you own all the trimmings he cut, and if he really wanted to,
he could force you to get rid of them. Oh yeah, there are also some
laws in certain states about the maximum heights of cedar hedges, as
they may infringe on your neighbors access to sunlight, and a neighbor
can force you to cut down your hedges to appropriate heights. All in
all, it's best to get along with your neighbors.

John

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:26:45 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Jun 20, 11:00 am, Han wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a neighbor.

Amen.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

neighbor wars can be nasty and no one wins. except lawyers if things
go to court

Neighbors on each side of me are cops. That makes five LEOs in three
houses. Four retired, one active.

We talk instead of waging "war". It's a win-win and lawyers get nada!

Ask them how much they like(d) to get involved in fenceline disputes! My
experience is they show up, say "This is a civil matter" and then leave.
The only thing the cops I knew hated more were dog disputes.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 11:00 am, Han wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

the best answer
is always the same: talk to the neighbor, as a neighbor.

Amen.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

neighbor wars can be nasty and no one wins. except lawyers if things
go to court

I read once that aside from landlord/tenant disputes (which often have their
own courts!) that dog and fenceline disputes form the majority of small
claims court cases. Can't find that cite now, so maybe I'm having a memory
lapse, but I think it's accurate. In once case it's dogs acting like dogs,
in the other it's humans acting like dogs.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Ask them how much they like(d) to get involved in fenceline disputes! My
experience is they show up, say "This is a civil matter" and then leave.
The only thing the cops I knew hated more were dog disputes.

Or domestics... "Even though I have two black eyes, a tooth missing, a
compound fracture of my arm, I KNOW he really loves me and you can't
take him to jail."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's plan B, if the fence reacher turns out not to be
cooperative?

Would it be too much to make offer like "arms reaching over
the fence will be cut off, at the fence line". ??

What if the feud goes to court? In most jurisdictions in USA, there
are laws against some things without exception for contracts affecting
only their signers.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Ask them how much they like(d) to get involved in fenceline disputes!

My
experience is they show up, say "This is a civil matter" and then leave.
The only thing the cops I knew hated more were dog disputes.

Or domestics... "Even though I have two black eyes, a tooth missing, a
compound fracture of my arm, I KNOW he really loves me and you can't
take him to jail."

A long, LONG time ago I did a ride along with an old-school sergeant who
carried a very respectable-looking .45 replica for domestics. When he
calmed them down long enough to sit at the kitchen table he would produce
the replica, place it on the table and say "When I come back, one of you had
better be dead." If either of the parties was stupid enough to reach for
the replica, off to jail they went. I thought it was a brilliant test of
who was the instigator/most belligerent. His supervisors took a somewhat
dimmer view when they found out.

He got the idea from a Mexican policeman who kept a big, unloaded hog-leg
pistol on his right hip and a Walther PPK on the other side in a belt clip.
He would transport prisoners sitting up front to see who was stupid enough
to try to take his (empty) gun from him. They did NOT however, go directly
to jail. Life is clearly different south of the border.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2011 9:49 PM, The Henchman wrote:
[...]

He most likely had no right to do as he did. Good start to a huge,
expensive dispute....best to calm it now and perhaps do as he asks.
Keeping egos out of it, getting rid of weed trees probably needs to be
done and would be good for you, your yard and the fence. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"The Henchman" wrote in :

I don't really know what the answer is, although I wish the guy had
introduced himself and asked permission first. I'm not upset at the
matter, just wondering who gets what rights. My wife, now she's the
one upset with the guy.

There is legalistics and there is neighborliness. When you moved in 2
years ago, did you introduce yourselves? Did he lve there beforeyou moved
in?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote
well neigbor could of sprayed them with roundup on his side and entire
plant would of died

He could have done that, and gotten in significant trouble for doing so.

Why? He only sprayed what was on his side. The other guy would have to
prove it also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2011 8:13 PM, The Henchman wrote:

I don't really know what the answer is, although I wish the guy had
introduced himself and asked permission first. I'm not upset at the
matter, just wondering who gets what rights. My wife, now she's the
one upset with the guy.

I have a saying I apply to all my neighbors (and I hope they apply it
to me): "If that's the *worst* thing they do, then I've got a pretty
decent neighbor." It helps keep this kind of stuff in perspective.
Yeah, it's quirky, it's annoying, but it sure as hell beats having
drug dealers, vandals, or petty thieves living next door. I'd rather
have to deal with comparatively small-time stuff like this.

Speaking of which, I have a slightly weird neighbor problem. I have
several big gardens on my property. It's quite pretty and people like
to walk by, come on up and visit. Fine by me. But...every so often,
somebody stops by when I'm not around and _adds_ something to my
property. Like a bird feeder. Or a bat house. Or cutesie lawn or
garden ornaments (those are the worst). I'm sure they mean well and
are just trying to show their enjoyment of my property. But sometimes
it puts me in an awkward position. Here's another mystery gift
appearing on my property, and I think it's hideously tasteless. But if
I remove it, I hurt somebody's feelings - whose, I have no idea.
Nobody ever admits to gifting me with this stuff.

It's a whole lot better than having stuff stolen, which is what
property owners usually have to deal with, so it's one of those "If
this is the worst I have to deal with, I'm lucky" things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 9:42 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:
[...]

That's hilarious....and rare! I'd be dying of curiosity to know who
gifted me with stuff like that. My guess would be a very good friend )

It's a whole lot better than having stuff stolen, which is what property
owners usually have to deal with, so it's one of those "If this is the
worst I have to deal with, I'm lucky" things.

For the OP, I hope the "property rights question" becomes "how can we
remain friends". The law is only the basis for the issue, and might be
a long way from being a solution. I'm curious about keeping weed trees
going among the desirable plants, and why they are allowed to grow
through the fence....I KNOW one has the right to grow whatever...if the
fence belongs to OP, then he's allowing trees to damage the fence. If
the fence belongs to the neighbor, he really has an interest it keeping
the stuff from growing through the fence. If the OP is not ABLE to keep
up with the landscaping, a deal with the neighbor might help get it
done. I hope you all make nice and become friends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 8:56 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:22 am,
wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:13 pm, "The wrote:

and build where I can have at least a 100-foot strip of trees between me
and the neighbors. Maybe put up a single non-barbed dayglo orange wire
to mark the boundry, at a non-hazardous height, with suitable signs, to
discourage open and notorious self-made easements. Nothing nasty or
ugly, just something to keep the neighbors honest, and hunters out.
(around here, too many of them think fencelines don't apply to them.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2011 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

Chuckle. In high school, my kid sister and her friends used to plant
flocks of cheesy pink flamingos on lawns at times. One of her crowd had
a dirt-cheap source for them. Not sure what criteria they used to pick
their targets.

I just get paintballed or TP'd.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

You have yet to tell us which side of the property line the fence is
on. I have never heard of a fence being exactly on the line. Who
originally paid for the fence and its installation?

-----------------

Built 43 years ago by the housing developer. It's a 43 year old cedar slat
fence that my survey (dec 2009) says is the property line.

Most houses around here have the fence on the property line and the only
time they don't is when spats or fights break around and the fence shifts to
one side because of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message

You have yet to tell us which side of the property line the fence is
on. I have never heard of a fence being exactly on the line. Who
originally paid for the fence and its installation?

-----------------

Built 43 years ago by the housing developer. It's a 43 year old cedar
slat fence that my survey (dec 2009) says is the property line.

Most houses around here have the fence on the property line and the only
time they don't is when spats or fights break around and the fence shifts
to one side because of it.

In that case, he is reaching to your property. My neighbor (we have no
fence) has come on to my property to trim things too. I usually thank hem
for doing so. Probably what your wife should do if he is cutting weed back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

In that case, he is reaching to your property. My neighbor (we have
no fence) has come on to my property to trim things too. I usually
thank hem for doing so. Probably what your wife should do if he is
cutting weed back.

I'd like to see a picture of what henchman says are his plants or bushes or
trees, and what the neighbor considers weeds. Maybe then we can judge who
is right to remove them or not. Not that I would really encourage going
onto another's property to do weeding. But then,spouse does it all the
time to help the old widow next doors.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

In that case, he is reaching to your property. My neighbor (we have
no fence) has come on to my property to trim things too. I usually
thank hem for doing so. Probably what your wife should do if he is
cutting weed back.

I'd like to see a picture of what henchman says are his plants or
bushes or trees, and what the neighbor considers weeds. Maybe then
we can judge who is right to remove them or not. Not that I would
really encourage going onto another's property to do weeding. But
then,spouse does it all the time to help the old widow next doors.

exactly. to the OP, those weeds might be the start of a hedge of trees to
prevent the neighbors looking into their hot tub at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 10:31*am, "chaniarts" wrote:
Han wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

In that case, he is reaching to your property. *My neighbor (we have
no fence) has come on to my property to trim things too. *I usually
thank hem for doing so. *Probably what your wife should do if he is
cutting weed back.

I'd like to see a picture of what henchman says are his plants or
bushes or trees, and what the neighbor considers weeds. *Maybe then
we can judge who is right to remove them or not. *Not that I would
really encourage going onto another's property to do weeding. *But
then,spouse does it all the time to help the old widow next doors.

exactly. to the OP, those weeds might be the start of a hedge of trees to
prevent the neighbors looking into their hot tub at night.

If you read the original post there is already a "hedge" of cedar,
probably leyland cypress. Subsequent posts suggest the yard was
neglected for a number of years prior to this. It's likely the
"trees" in question are trees that sprang up naturally from seed and
remained because no one was keeping the area between the fence and the
"cedar" trees maintained.

The op stopped replying after a number of people pointed out that
while he was technically right he was also being excessively anal.
And that until he was ready to maintain the area he probably shouldn't
worry much about how his neighbor prunes trees that stick through the
fence.

You really see a more probable conclusion based on what has been
posted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:31 am, "chaniarts" wrote:
Han wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

[...]

yep. i think you're ASSUME-ing the type of trees, the type and height of
fence, and whether the 'weeds' were actually seen by the OP when he moved in
or in walks around his property that he intended to leave in place.

with a nosy neighbor with a propensity to mess with my property, and gaps
between the trees, i'd want my hedge to fill in and make it solid to about
10'.

in my area, it's very uncommon to have backyard fences and thus it's hard to
see where actual property lines are. my neighbor is a small B&B. all this
spring, i had strangers wandering around in my backyard taking pictures of
the cacti in bloom. bothersome, to say the least, although none had the
temerity to bother anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 11:27*am, "chaniarts" wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:31 am, "chaniarts" wrote:
Han wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
news:Zo6dnU6D77hMJ5zTnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@giganews. com:

[...]

temerity to bother anything.- Hide quoted text -

While I agree a picture would seal the deal, I have to agree with
James that
we have a pretty good idea of what's going on. The OP stated that
the property had not been maintained for 7 years when they bought it
and they chose to work on upgrading the interior first for some
additional period of unkown duration. In the first post he described
the
situation as:

"On MY side of the fence are thick cedar trees that go about 15 feet
high.
Scattered throughout the cedars are small trees (not cedar) or
something
that are growing and poking thru the fence into the neighbours sides.

the neighbour decided the reach over the fence line and clip the
those little weedy trees that are growing from my land in-between they
nice
cedar tree barrier"

In a follow on post he called them ugly weedy saplings. I think from
that, you can figure out what's going on with a fairly high confidence
level. The OP made no claim that the weedy saplings were
part of any screening plan or of any value to him at all. And it
sounds
like the cedar trees already provide a screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2011 11:44 AM, wrote:

[...]

If the OP is still reading: please consider your neighbor's point of
view. Trees on the property line are nothing but a *huge* headache.
They are guaranteed to make trouble. Your neighbor waited for two
years for you to clean the trash trees out, but you didn't. He
should've talked to you about it. If he'd been upfront and said, these
trees are not gonna provide any benefit to you and are going to be
nothing but trouble for me, and then offered to clear them, you
probably would've been happy to let him do it. On the other hand, if
you'd balked, he would've found himself with trouble, and he would've
had to resort to surreptitiously dealing with the problem.

You offended him by continuing to maintain a nuisance on your property
that adversely affected his, then he offended you by taking matters in
his own hands. Consider it even and move on.

Property question LSMFT Home Repair 35 March 15th 10 04:51 PM
Workmanship Question - Legal rights Old_Boat Home Repair 18 May 30th 07 04:08 AM
Another Property Overhang Question TheScullster UK diy 8 May 9th 06 11:12 PM
Question about title of property? Zylan Home Ownership 6 August 12th 04 06:33 PM