Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Another Property Overhang Question

Just noticed a post about overhang onto adjacent property and it reminded me
of a recently built extension.
I like to roam around the village and look at on-going works, planning
posters etc. to keep abreast of developments so-to-speak.

This one property had a brick wall right upto the pavement edge and they
have now demolished the wall and built an extension to the same boundary.
This is a gable end wall, so the roof , fascias, soffits and guttering
project beyond this and effectively over the path by 6-8".

Is this acceptable to planning and/or building regs?
It sounds like nothing and doesn't affect me in the slightest, but it's one
of those things which, once you are aware of it, strikes you as mighty odd.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 8 May 2006 15:45:49 +0100 TheScullster wrote :
Is this acceptable to planning and/or building regs?
It sounds like nothing and doesn't affect me in the slightest, but it's one
of those things which, once you are aware of it, strikes you as mighty odd.

One of our church walls is up to the back of the footpath. When we replaced
the boiler the new flue had to come through this wall, i.e. overhanging the
pavement. The council highways people were quite happy about this after
checking the height was such that pedestrians were unaffected.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

TheScullster wrote:
Just noticed a post about overhang onto adjacent property and it reminded me
of a recently built extension.

I think it eventually becomes a 'flying freehold'; not a great problem
if overhanging a public road, but I'd object if it were overhanging my
property. I think the owner has to complete a form at the planning
stage, which requires him to confirm that he owns all the land that the
proposed development is to be built on, or over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed D Ball

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Just noticed a post about overhang onto adjacent property and it reminded

me
of a recently built extension.
I like to roam around the village and look at on-going works, planning
posters etc. to keep abreast of developments so-to-speak.

This one property had a brick wall right upto the pavement edge and they
have now demolished the wall and built an extension to the same boundary.
This is a gable end wall, so the roof , fascias, soffits and guttering
project beyond this and effectively over the path by 6-8".

Is this acceptable to planning and/or building regs?
It sounds like nothing and doesn't affect me in the slightest, but it's

one
of those things which, once you are aware of it, strikes you as mighty

odd.

Phil

What about BT lines running over your property ?I have 9 of them over the
back garden and would dearly like to see them removed or a rental paid.
It must happen everywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Ed D Ball" wrote:

What about BT lines running over your property ?I have 9 of them over the
back garden and would dearly like to see them removed or a rental paid.
It must happen everywhere.

These examples are the reverse of the original post!
I can see how the large service companies can have historic rites over
private property.
The fact that private individuals can construct extensions/outbuildings that
overhang public pavement surprises me!
Particularly when there are numerous posts to this group about boundary
disputes.

One thing that really narks me about all this, is that, to the letter of the
"law?", I need to apply for planning permission to erect a 6 foot fence on
the boundary between my back garden and a similar footpath.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

TheScullster wrote:
"Ed D Ball" wrote:

The fact that private individuals can construct extensions/outbuildings that
overhang public pavement surprises me!

Yes, but it's only overhanging a pavement by 6 to 8" and doesn't affect
the use of the pavement. I'm sure the local authority could make an
isue of it, but I hope they have better things to do.

One thing that really narks me about all this, is that, to the letter of the
"law?", I need to apply for planning permission to erect a 6 foot fence on
the boundary between my back garden and a similar footpath.

Probably to check that you're not about to stick up a 6ft brick wall
which may get blown over & kill someone (it has happened) or that the
fence isn't topped with spikes. I'm sure you'd have more sense, but I'm
sure there's many who wouldn't; where is Drivel BTW?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Ed D Ball" contains these words:

What about BT lines running over your property ?I have 9 of them over the
back garden and would dearly like to see them removed or a rental paid.
It must happen everywhere.

Plant a Leylandii, wait till BT get fed up and move the lines, then cut
it down.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed D Ball

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Ed D Ball" contains these words:

What about BT lines running over your property ?I have 9 of them over

the
back garden and would dearly like to see them removed or a rental paid.
It must happen everywhere.

Plant a Leylandii, wait till BT get fed up and move the lines, then cut
it down.

..Yep.
Should be interesting
I'll post on here when it's grown