Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Property Rights question...

"The Henchman" wrote in :

I have a back fence, that is the property line with my neighbour.

On MY side of the fence are thick cedar trees that go about 15 feet
high. Scattered throughout the cedars are small trees (not cedar) or
something that are growing and poking thru the fence into the
neighbours sides.

Tonight the neighbour decided the reach over the fence line and clip
the those little weedy trees that are growing from my land in-between
they nice cedar tree barrier, also on my land. He's reaching over the
fence trying to clip them as low as he can on my side. Al this wile
my wife and I are eating dinner and we are assuming he can see or at
least hear us.

So I went to the back fence and said hello and asked him what he's
doing. He says " just clipping these ugly little trees poking thru the
fence. I don't mind the cedars, just trying to get these little
suckers". I told him that I prefer to prune them myself and that I'd
prune them to my liking when I get the chance.

This is only my second year of owning a house and lot so I want to
ask, was this neighbour in the wrong to reach over the fence and clip
on my side?

In cases like this it is best to stay on friendly foot. So the thing to
ask is whether he'd mind discussing with you what it is that is bothering
him, so you can take care of your side of the fence. We had almost the
reverse. Our fence with one set of neighbors is 1 foot inside my
property and one of the neighbors wanted to plant flowers and bushes on
her side of the fence, but on our 1 foot strip property. That 1 foot
actually runs next to a concrete path that is in fact the other
neighbor's property (one side of our property abuts 2 other properties.
We told her that she could indeed use our property for her flowers and
bushes if they didn't get too big, but that it did remain our property.
So now everyone is satisfied. I think we'll outlive the 2 older widows

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid