Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default Property Rights question...

On 6/20/2011 8:13 PM, The Henchman wrote:

I don't really know what the answer is, although I wish the guy had
introduced himself and asked permission first. I'm not upset at the
matter, just wondering who gets what rights. My wife, now she's the
one upset with the guy.

I have a saying I apply to all my neighbors (and I hope they apply it
to me): "If that's the *worst* thing they do, then I've got a pretty
decent neighbor." It helps keep this kind of stuff in perspective.
Yeah, it's quirky, it's annoying, but it sure as hell beats having
drug dealers, vandals, or petty thieves living next door. I'd rather
have to deal with comparatively small-time stuff like this.

Speaking of which, I have a slightly weird neighbor problem. I have
several big gardens on my property. It's quite pretty and people like
to walk by, come on up and visit. Fine by me. But...every so often,
somebody stops by when I'm not around and _adds_ something to my
property. Like a bird feeder. Or a bat house. Or cutesie lawn or
garden ornaments (those are the worst). I'm sure they mean well and
are just trying to show their enjoyment of my property. But sometimes
it puts me in an awkward position. Here's another mystery gift
appearing on my property, and I think it's hideously tasteless. But if
I remove it, I hurt somebody's feelings - whose, I have no idea.
Nobody ever admits to gifting me with this stuff.

It's a whole lot better than having stuff stolen, which is what
property owners usually have to deal with, so it's one of those "If
this is the worst I have to deal with, I'm lucky" things.