Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Property Rights question...

On Jun 19, 10:31*pm, dpb wrote:

My guess is that he is trying to be helpful, not cause problems or
willfully damage your property.

Given OP's description of the growth in question as weedy, I'd say
that's also likely. *But, it _is_ pushy to be on his side of fence w/o
asking.

--

Key in all this is what Ed asked. Where exactly is the property line
relative to the fence? In most places the neighbor may trim whatever

However, from a practical perspective, I don't think what the
neighbor did is so bad, even if he cut back a few more inches
onto the other side. A few factors come to mind:

Those weedy branches probably grow fairly quickly and by
cutting them back a few extra inches it won't have to be done
so often.

It would seem since they are on the backside of the fence
doing that would not even be noticeable to the first property
owner.

Reaching over the fence, it would not seem he could cut
them back all that much further than he's entitled to
anyway

He's just trying to remedy and ugly situtation on his side.

If they are weedy branches, what exactly are they, how do
they look and maybe it would be better for both parties if
they were removed all together.

I would have approached the property owner first to discuss
the issue before doing the cutting.