Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Straightening ceiling fan blades

We put some fans out on our patio. Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide.
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
We put some fans out on our patio. *Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. *These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide..
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? *Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? *Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? *The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. *But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

Lot of times the mount is symetrical. If so just flip them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
We put some fans out on our patio. *Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. *These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide..
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? *Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? *Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? *The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. *But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

Trying to "straighten" fan blades once they sag due to exposure to
excessive
moisture is a fool's errand...

So is trying to bake them in your oven with bricks on top of them...

As far as buying new fan blades at your local ReStore you should only
be
concerned with the length and weight of the replacement blades, you
can
drill additional holes using your current fan blades as templates, but
you
don't want to hang too much weight or add too much load (larger blades
produce more drag requiring more effort on the motor) to your fan
unless
you want to be replacing the whole thing sooner rather than later...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 16, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
We put some fans out on our patio. *Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. *These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide..
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? *Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? *Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? *The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. *But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

I'd be tempted to see if you can get new ones of fiberglass or
plastic. They're typically just a piece of flat stock with three
holes drilled in them. If you're handy and have a source for some
suitable stock you can make them yourself. Or have some made from
Damascus steel

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
We put some fans out on our patio. Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide.
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights,
and a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

For use in an uncontrolled atmosphere like a patio get a set of blades
designed for outdoor use.
Anything else will be a waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
We put some fans out on our patio. Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide.
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights,
and a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

There are paddle fans made specifically for outdoor use, often called
outdoor fans, porch fans, and gazebo fans. The blades on this type of fan
are typically made from materials such as plastic, that are not damaged by
the elements

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

For use in an uncontrolled atmosphere like a patio get a set of blades
designed for outdoor use.
Anything else will be a waste.

They may well be a waste too.

I got 3 fans designated for that use. All three wound up with sagging
blades. Fiberboard. Two were so bad they looked like open umbrellas. I
made new blades from 1/4 ply, no sagging.

I've got one in a lanai that was installed in 1998 that is still going just
fine.
The room is essentialy open to the outdors in humid Florida.
Blades are plastic. You have to pay attention to what you are buying.

Charlie

Caveat emptor

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote

The room is essentialy open to the outdors in humid Florida.
Blades are plastic. You have to pay attention to what you are buying.

Charlie

Caveat emptor

Oh yeah. Great. NOW you tell me. ;-)

When SWMBO insisted that the fans would be fine outdoors even though they
were obviously indoor fans, if was one of those, "We'll see" moments. So
far, one's blades droop by two inches, the other is in danger of taking off
Aunt Lucy's big hair.

I will get two sets at ReStore at $3 per set, and see how long they last,
and in the meantime look for some that are intended for outdoor use. I've
even seen indoor sets that droop.

And then there's balancing .................................

Thanks for the info, guys.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 9:55*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

When you buy the blades, will you also be buying the mounting
brackets?

Even if the mounting brackets line up with the holes in your motor,
the angle may be an issue.

Cheaper fans use low blade angles so they can use a cheaper motor.
Increasing the blade anlge might cost you more a lot more than $3 a
set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 17, 9:55*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

The whole thing is a fool's errand, in my book, trying to make a silk
purse of a sow's ear. Steve's bimbo bought a cheap ass POS fan, and now
it's time to throw it away and buy a good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:51*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 9:55*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

it's time to throw it away and buy a good one.- Hide quoted text -

A fool's errand can oft times be fun.

A little time in the shop making/fixing something that you might
otherwise buy can be very therapeutic.

Which feels better:

Saying "I made/fixed that." or saying "I bought that."?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 17, 11:51*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 9:55*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

Most of us in the group here are of an age where prioritizing our time
is important, because we don't feel quite so immortal anymore. It's
often great to fix or build, but a crappy old ceiling fan with warped
blades isn't something I'd spend 10 seconds on. It's always going to be
crap, no matter what he does to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 2:12*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 11:51 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 9:55 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF SMITTY TWO TWO.....THE MAN HAS A VERY GOOD SHOP
WITH EQUIPMENT SOPHISTICATED ENOUGH TO MAKE THEM.....THE FLAPS WHERE
OF RATTAN LIKE MATERIAL AS USED IN ISLAND LOCATIONS.....IF HE CAN PULL
OF CUTTING OUT A NEW SET OUT OF WOOD, HE IS A GENIUS, COMPARED TO A
SPOILED RICH WELL TO DO LAZY OLD TIMER LIKE YOU.
LET HIM USE HIS SHOP....IT'S WHAT HE BUILT IT FOR.

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2011 02:12 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On May 17, 11:51 am, Smitty wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On May 17, 9:55 am, "Steve wrote:
wrote

[...]

I imagine even a *good* ceiling fan will warp blades outdoors, if not
specifically listed for that use.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2011 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 17, 9:55Â*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

The room is essentialy open to the outdors in humid Florida.
Blades are plastic. Â*You have to pay attention to what you are buying.

Charlie

Caveat emptor

Oh yeah. Â*Great. Â*NOW you tell me. Â*;-)

When SWMBO insisted that the fans would be fine outdoors even though they
were obviously indoor fans, if was one of those, "We'll see" moments. Â*So
far, one's blades droop by two inches, the other is in danger of taking off
Aunt Lucy's big hair.

I will get two sets at ReStore at $3 per set, and see how long they last,
and in the meantime look for some that are intended for outdoor use. Â*I've
even seen indoor sets that droop.

And then there's balancing .................................

Thanks for the info, guys.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

When you buy the blades, will you also be buying the mounting
brackets?

Even if the mounting brackets line up with the holes in your motor,
the angle may be an issue.

Cheaper fans use low blade angles so they can use a cheaper motor.
Increasing the blade anlge might cost you more a lot more than $3 a
set.

At the speed those things turn, the blades could be vertical and not
harm most of the ceiling fan motors out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:10:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 17, 11:51Â*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

Â*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Depends if it works or not!!!. If it doesn't work and you bought it
you were just foolish. If it doesn't work and you made it you are
foolish AND incompetent - - - - - .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2011 10:18 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 16, 11:16 am, "Steve B" wrote:
We put some fans out on our patio. Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide.
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

Lot of times the mount is symetrical. If so just flip them.

As a point of reference, see also the following, which was posted in
a.h.r about 2 1/2 years ago.

http://www.diy-forum.net/scariest-th...e-t151205.html

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:10:06 -0600, "HeyBub" (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
What is the scariest thing in your house?

In my house the scariest thing is that ceiling fan in the living room.
One never knows when the propeller will come off and decapitate me or
someone else. It came with the house and I want it removed. I put a
sign by the switch that says "DO NOT TURN ON". But somehow somone
always turns it on. Then I have to risk my life walking in that room
to shut it off. I dont know why they put dangerous things like this
in houses.

Linda

It's a simple matter to install a safety-chain on ceiling fan blades. A
small length of chain and two bolts per blade are all that is needed. Simply
attach the chain from the metal spoke to the blade and you're good to go.
Works just like the safety chain on a trailer hitch.

Another safety item is to have blade fabricated out of rubber. You can do
this yourself with fairly thick sheet rubber and a sharp knife (use extreme
caution with sharp tools). If the blades DO come off, they'll only cause
bruising (unless they hit you in the eye - use safety glasses while enjoying
the breeze).

This might hold the propeller blades on, but what if the whole fan
comes flying off the ceiling? Instant decapitation. When I was a
child these were not used in houses, but I remember going to a store
with my parents and the ceiling fan in the store got me so scared that
dad had to take me out ot the car while mom shopped. They are
frightening and just dangerous no matter what. There must be better
and safer ways to cool a building.

I told my husband not to buy this house because of that ugly
frightening fan, but he insisted it was a good house and said he would
get the fan professionally removed. That was over 3 years ago, and I
have already threatend to divorce him if he dont get it out of here.
He always says money is tight and there are more important things to
fix, and tells me to just not turn it on. I explained to him that
even if it's off, it could fall on someone and kill them. I am going
to hire someone myself to remove it if he dont do something about it.
Even if it means the end of our marriage. I just cant live in a house
with that thing anymore. Especially since it seems to turn itself on,
because my husband said he never turns it on, and the kids know if
they turn it on, they will be severely punished. So it must turn
itself on. Either it leave this house, or I will take the kids and
leave.

Linda

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:55:31 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

When SWMBO insisted that the fans would be fine outdoors even though they
were obviously indoor fans, if was one of those, "We'll see" moments

And the problem IS?

It may take 25 years of marriage before the truth is known.

Actually, three. One set droops about three inches, and the other droops
like an umbrella.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 10:52*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On May 17, 9:55*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

[...]

harm most of the ceiling fan motors out there.- Hide quoted text -

Here's the llink to one of the many, many sites that stress the
relationship between blade size/angle and the power of the motor:

http://www.lampdepot.com/ProductCartPages/page111.htm

I quote...

The most powerful, durable and expensive motor is a "Stack" or "K55"
style motor. ... The power allows for 14 - 16 degree blade pitch and
use of wider blades so you get more air movement.
Low Grade promotional fans use small motors to move narrow blades at
near 10 degree pitches. The result is much lower air movement. Often
having lifetime warranties.

Fan ratings : Performance, Medium, Moderate, Promotional

Performance 14 -16 blade degree --- Stack or 188x20 motors
Medium 12 - 14 blade degree --- 188x12+ , or 172x14+ motors
Moderate 10 - 12 blade degree --- 153x15 motors
Promotional 8 -12 blade degree --- 153x13 or less
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I ask a stupid question? I am new to fixing things and one of my fan blade holder was. Ent upward moving in an armoire. How do I fix it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

This a funny post... well lemme tell yall something. I live in Colorado, where the humidity is 16% inside most of the time, and my blades still warped (6 years)... yes the fan is inside.