Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ceiling fan - blades not turning

I have a 30inch (approx) ceiling fan in a bedroom and it has stopped
working.
It does not have a remote.
The light is working fine.
The blades do not turn but I can hear the motor running when the blades
are turned on.

So, the power seems to be going to the blade motor(or whatever) but the
blades aren't turning.
The blades will spin easily by hand. They are well balanced and they
have never been noisy.

I cannot remember the make.

What might the problem be?

eliz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:29:46 -0700, eliz Has Frothed:

I have a 30inch (approx) ceiling fan in a bedroom and it has stopped
working.
It does not have a remote.
The light is working fine.
The blades do not turn but I can hear the motor running when the blades
are turned on.

So, the power seems to be going to the blade motor(or whatever) but the
blades aren't turning.
The blades will spin easily by hand. They are well balanced and they have
never been noisy.

I cannot remember the make.

What might the problem be?

eliz

Motor might be bad wouldn't you think?

Sounds more like a bad startup capacitor. These are mostly generic and
available in the lighting department at Home Depot (assuming the OP is
in the States).

Usually repair involves demounting the fan and some disassembly.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:56:33 -0500, jakdedert Has Frothed:

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Didn't know that kind of motor had a cap in it.

Some probably use shaded pole motors, better ones are likely to be PSC
which use a cap. There really isn't much else to go wrong, if it turns
freely by hand and hums when power is applied, there's gotta be a second
winding that isn't powered.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"eliz" wrote in message
ups.com...

I cannot remember the make.

What might the problem be?

Might be anything.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip kip is offline

I had on doing the same thing..
Turned out to be the Line Locking Wedge Phase Shifter.
Very Very common..
frank
"eliz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 30inch (approx) ceiling fan in a bedroom and it has stopped
working.
It does not have a remote.
The light is working fine.
The blades do not turn but I can hear the motor running when the blades
are turned on.

So, the power seems to be going to the blade motor(or whatever) but the
blades aren't turning.
The blades will spin easily by hand. They are well balanced and they
have never been noisy.

I cannot remember the make.

What might the problem be?

eliz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:59:49 -0400, kip Has Frothed:

I had on doing the same thing..
Turned out to be the Line Locking Wedge Phase Shifter. Very Very common..
frank

You don't say....

It's true. The Line Locking Wedge Phase Shifter can cause all sorts of
problems, esp. if they put an anti clockwise one into a clockwise fan.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in
news
I had on doing the same thing..
Turned out to be the Line Locking Wedge Phase Shifter. Very Very
common.. frank

You don't say....

Yeah, although my first thought was the dilithium crystals might need to be
repolarized and straightened...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

eliz ha escrito:

I have a 30inch (approx) ceiling fan in a bedroom and it has stopped
working.
It does not have a remote.
The light is working fine.
The blades do not turn but I can hear the motor running when the blades
are turned on.

So, the power seems to be going to the blade motor(or whatever) but the
blades aren't turning.
The blades will spin easily by hand. They are well balanced and they
have never been noisy.

I cannot remember the make.

What might the problem be?

eliz

Probably a bad run capacitor. You should dismantle the lamp kit of the
ceiling fan. The lamp kit is usually attached to circular metal
housing. Inside the housing you will find the cap, the two switches of
the ceiling fan (one for the lamp and the other for the motor fan) and
the reverse switch. Normally these capacitors have three wires, two of
them goes to the motor switch and the third one goes to the reverse
switch. Just replace the cap with other of similar specs, and you will
have your ceiling fan operating again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Land" wrote in message
. 3.44...

Yeah, although my first thought was the dilithium crystals might need to
be
repolarized and straightened...

God's teeth don't do that. ALWAYS polarized and restraightened.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Did you know the first Hunter fans were water powered?

Now that's an interesting idea. Who knows, it might even still be practical
in buildings with water circulation systems. (Chilled water, etc...)

I once saw some ceiling fans that were actually ceiling mounted furnace
vents. The air came out through a squirrel cage like fan device with paddles
attached at four points on the bottom.

What's a Meat Plow?

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in

"Jim Land" wrote in message
. 3.44...

Yeah, although my first thought was the dilithium crystals might need
to be
repolarized and straightened...

God's teeth don't do that. ALWAYS polarized and restraightened.

Gee, Homer, now you've got me wondering. I believe I used to straighten
first and then repolarize, although it's been so long since I've done
it.... but then, I didn't use God's teeth. Do you?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Sounds more like a bad startup capacitor.

I had to replace the cap in one of our older fans. I just took the old cap
to a local shop that sells and repairs fans and they matched one up for me.
The caps for the ceiling fans come in several mfd values and according to
the repair guy need to be replaced with a like value. Didn't cost much but
that was 10 yr ago. RM ~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rob Mills wrote:

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Sounds more like a bad startup capacitor.

I had to replace the cap in one of our older fans. I just took the old cap
to a local shop that sells and repairs fans and they matched one up for me.
The caps for the ceiling fans come in several mfd values and according to
the repair guy need to be replaced with a like value. Didn't cost much but
that was 10 yr ago. RM ~

Home Depot had some the last time I needed one.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

More than likely to be an out of phase non reversing clack valve.
They tend to get a bit rusty and give up the ghost - especially in wet
climates like the UK.
Best of luck with it.

--
stuart2z9sl