Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

Default Antique Ceiling Fan

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...

Bought a 1960's house with an antique ceiling fan in the MBR that
sounds like a B-29 on its takeoff roll. No problem; I can replace a
ceiling fan in my sleep. Bought a new fan, put it together on the
living room floor and went in to take the old one down when disaster
struck.

The old fan is hung from a hook screwed into a ceiling joist and rests
in a ruber biscuit. The wire is just poked through a hole in the
ceiling and there is no box to hang the new fan. Attic access is
extremely limited and I would have to crawl over and under about 37
miles of ductwork to get to this corner bedroom. I know that there are
telescoping boxes that you can feed through a "small" hole and screw
open to expand, but I don't trust them.

Does anyone make an old fashioned ceiling fan that hangs from a hook
rather than mounting to a box? If push comes to shove I will have to
spend spend a few hours of quality time in the attic navigating my way
to the back bedroom to install a reinforced electrical box in the
ceiling, but if there is any way to avoid it, I would love to.

Somebody?

Anybody?

Help...?

John

A shallow box with a stud or similar mount securely screwed to the ceiling
joist will safely support your fan and properly enclose the electrical
connections. You may have to go to an electrical supply or very good
hardware store to find what you need but it should be doable without going
in the attic.
Don Young

Antique Ceiling Fan RBM Home Repair 0 April 20th 06 03:47 AM
Antique Ceiling Fan [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 20th 06 02:59 AM
My ceiling needs some tlc - cover up or replace? none UK diy 5 February 27th 06 03:42 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM