Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Antique Ceiling Fan

What you have is probably an old Hunter cast iron fan. Hunter actually still
makes a few like that, although even though it hangs from the hook, it's
still required to have an electrical box. All you need is a pancake fan box.
Its one half inch deep, has knockouts on the back and mounts directly to the
beam your current hook is going into.

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...

Bought a 1960's house with an antique ceiling fan in the MBR that
sounds like a B-29 on its takeoff roll. No problem; I can replace a
ceiling fan in my sleep. Bought a new fan, put it together on the
living room floor and went in to take the old one down when disaster
struck.

The old fan is hung from a hook screwed into a ceiling joist and rests
in a ruber biscuit. The wire is just poked through a hole in the
ceiling and there is no box to hang the new fan. Attic access is
extremely limited and I would have to crawl over and under about 37
miles of ductwork to get to this corner bedroom. I know that there are
telescoping boxes that you can feed through a "small" hole and screw
open to expand, but I don't trust them.

Does anyone make an old fashioned ceiling fan that hangs from a hook
rather than mounting to a box? If push comes to shove I will have to
spend spend a few hours of quality time in the attic navigating my way
to the back bedroom to install a reinforced electrical box in the
ceiling, but if there is any way to avoid it, I would love to.

Somebody?

Anybody?

Help...?

John

Antique Ceiling Fan [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 20th 06 02:59 AM
My ceiling needs some tlc - cover up or replace? none UK diy 5 February 27th 06 03:42 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM