Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Straightening ceiling fan blades

On May 16, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
We put some fans out on our patio. *Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. *These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide..
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? *Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? *Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? *The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. *But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

Trying to "straighten" fan blades once they sag due to exposure to
excessive
moisture is a fool's errand...

So is trying to bake them in your oven with bricks on top of them...

As far as buying new fan blades at your local ReStore you should only
be
concerned with the length and weight of the replacement blades, you
can
drill additional holes using your current fan blades as templates, but
you
don't want to hang too much weight or add too much load (larger blades
produce more drag requiring more effort on the motor) to your fan
unless
you want to be replacing the whole thing sooner rather than later...

~~ Evan