Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

What did it cost, $50.00?

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote the following:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

Did you have a question?
My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to
ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps.
I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones
were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement
stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 12:19*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. *It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. *That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. *The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. *It can also be used with a dimmer.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Is the brightness really equivalent to a 40W incandescent? I am
skeptical of that from the samples I have seen on display.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

I was just talking to our electrician about those, he's been selling a lot
of LED lighting lately and the only bug so far is failures apparently being
caused by dirty power so to speak--spikes and surges and noise. He's
looking at selling whole-house power conditioners as a result. I expect to
replace our CFLs with LED within a couple of years once the price is more
reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote the following:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about
ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it
comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

Did you have a question?
My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to
ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps.
I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones
were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement
stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury
poisoning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote the following:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about
ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it
comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

Did you have a question?
My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to
ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps.
I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones
were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement
stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury
poisoning.

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks out of a CFL
in a decade?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:30*pm, Frank wrote:
Googled this up at HD:

http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is
actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hmm,
Few of them burnt out on me after couple years. Just like CFLs.
Lasting 46 years is a myth to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

I was just talking to our electrician about those, he's been
selling a lot
of LED lighting lately and the only bug so far is failures
apparently being
caused by dirty power so to speak--spikes and surges and
noise. He's
looking at selling whole-house power conditioners as a
result. I expect to
replace our CFLs with LED within a couple of years once the
price is more
reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's like potassium iodate. If you fill your thyroid with
LED bulbs, the mercury bulbs can't establish themselves.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike" wrote in message

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from
mercury
poisoning.

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks out
of a CFL
in a decade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2011 2:09 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

I was just talking to our electrician about those, he's been selling a
lot of LED lighting lately and the only bug so far is failures
apparently being caused by dirty power so to speak--spikes and surges
and noise. He's looking at selling whole-house power conditioners as
a result. I expect to replace our CFLs with LED within a couple of
years once the price is more reasonable.

The first CFLs I bought didn't last 1/2 as long as claimed. The second
generation seemed to be more reliable.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Maybe not but you'd need more money to pay the electric company every month.

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

That's not very christian-like to let little kids go hungry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote the following:

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about
ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it
comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

Did you have a question?
My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to
ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps.
I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones
were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement
stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury
poisoning.

Ooops. My brain has been affected by mercury poisoning.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote the following:
HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote the following:
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about
ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it
comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

Did you have a question?
My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to
ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps.
I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones
were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement
stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury
poisoning.

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks out of a CFL
in a decade?

I, and many others of my age, have played with mercury as a kid in the
1940s.
Rub it on a coin and it shined it up.
I'm not sure, but we might have even tasted it.
I remember busting the long florescent bulbs.
There is nothing wrong with me now.
Will someone answer that telephone??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 5:06*pm, willshak wrote:
mike wrote the following:

HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote the following:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

It apparently prevented autism..Autism has really come on strong since
they started worrying about Mercury poisoningG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb (and who's the liberal, now?)

You must be a liberal? I find that liberals tend to use
inflamatory accusations, and tend to falsely assign
(attribute) completely absurd and hurtful words to others.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill Ng" wrote in message

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

That's not very christian-like to let little kids go hungry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb (and mercury poisoning)

The expression "mad as a hatter" came from working with
mercury.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks
out of a CFL
in a decade?

I, and many others of my age, have played with mercury as a
kid in the
1940s.
Rub it on a coin and it shined it up.
I'm not sure, but we might have even tasted it.
I remember busting the long florescent bulbs.
There is nothing wrong with me now.
Will someone answer that telephone??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2011 03:55 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
On May 4, 2:30 pm, wrote:
Googled this up at HD:

http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is
actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

Even so, "easily dimmable" is HUGE. In a year or so I might buy some
once some reports come back from the field.

I see the reviews mention FM interference, which I have also noticed
with CFLs. Not really ideal...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2011 3:55 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
On May 4, 2:30 pm, wrote:
Googled this up at HD:

http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is
actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

I was wondering about that but had not looked up the comparison.
I don't know a lot about electronics but do know that LED's need direct
current so part of the extra energy may be in the AC/DC conversion.

I would worry about the color too. I had bought a couple of CFL's that
put out such white light that I could not use them indoors and had to
consign them to the front porch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

mike wrote the following:
HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote the following:
[...]

Great for playing Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker.

There is nothing wrong with me now.
Will someone answer that telephone??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:30 pm, wrote:
Googled this up at HD:

http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is
actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

I was wondering about that but had not looked up the comparison.
I don't know a lot about electronics but do know that LED's need direct
current so part of the extra energy may be in the AC/DC conversion.

I would worry about the color too. I had bought a couple of CFL's that
put out such white light that I could not use them indoors and had to
consign them to the front porch.

Good news is I understand that new labels are being phased in which will
explicitly state color temp so once you find a color temp you like you
can stick with it.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/06/lightbulbs.shtm

Bad news is it does not require CRI but I have been able to find that
info for major brands at least online if not on the packaging.
Unfortunately many CFLs still have crappy CRI...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

mike wrote the following:

HeyBub wrote:

willshak wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote the following:

[...]

They weren't around when I was a kid. Cap guns were our weapon of choice.

There is nothing wrong with me now.
Will someone answer that telephone??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's
rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten
times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on
instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

I was just talking to our electrician about those, he's been selling a
lot of LED lighting lately and the only bug so far is failures
apparently being caused by dirty power so to speak--spikes and surges
and noise. He's looking at selling whole-house power conditioners as a
result. I expect to replace our CFLs with LED within a couple of years
once the price is more reasonable.

I know a guy who's built up quite a business replacing florescent tube
lights in parking decks with direct drop in LED replacement lamps and
he's doing a great deal of business. The owners have decided it's a good
return on their investment.

http://www.earthled.com/DirectLED-t8...placement.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3l9du2c

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2011 4:44 PM, Bill Ng wrote:
"Stormin wrote in message ...
Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Maybe not but you'd need more money to pay the electric company every month.

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

That's not very christian-like to let little kids go hungry.

Heck, I just eat the children, the toes are the crunchy part.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:30 pm, *wrote:
Googled this up at HD:

http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is
actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

I was wondering about that but had not looked up the comparison.
I don't know a lot about electronics but do know that LED's need direct
current so part of the extra energy may be in the AC/DC conversion.

I would worry about the color too. *I had bought a couple of CFL's that
put out such white light that I could not use them indoors and had to
consign them to the front porch.

CFL lamps also require dc, they rectify the AC powerline ti dc, and
then run a high-frequency dc - ac converter tolight the lamp tube
itself. There is a large step-up in voltage needed to strike the
initial arc thru the tube, and the reduction in mercury reduces trhe
pressure in the tube until it heats up a little. Regular tubular
fluorescents contain appreciably more mercury than the cfl's do
because the arc lengthis mujch longer and the diameter of the tube is
much larger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Like a lot of older electrical/electronic hardware, such bulbs are quite
tolerant of poor quality electrical supply. Newer electronic gear--not so
much. But the point is CFLs and LEDs burn a small fraction of the power of
incandescent bulbs, and in case it's escaped your attention burning fossil
fuels has some notable drawbacks including cost and pollution.

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

Leave it to a bargain-basement ideologue to miss the point. If you want to
pay more for your electricity, go on using incandescent bulbs. We slashed
our power bill by using CFLs with no drawbacks I can see, and I'll be happy
to try LEDs when the price is right. You can go on burning kerosene or
whatever it is you do, and don't forget to check under your bed for liberals
before you go to sleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
net...

The first CFLs I bought didn't last 1/2 as long as claimed. The second
generation seemed to be more reliable.

I've had a few that died way before the advertised date, and others that
have gone on happily for years and years, so it's maybe a factory quality
control issue rather than the design itself. But they sure cut our power
bill. I'll try LEDs when I figure the price is right, and go from there
based on what I find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

I know a guy who's built up quite a business replacing florescent tube
lights in parking decks with direct drop in LED replacement lamps and
he's doing a great deal of business. The owners have decided it's a good
return on their investment.

Our neighbor owns a nightclub and has replaced most of his stage lighting
with LED units which not only burn way less power but don't generate nearly
as much heat which the performers really appreciate. He even thinks it's
saving him money on air conditioning since the new lights are producing so
much less heat. It sure looks like the way lighting will go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:44*pm, "Bill Ng" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in ...
Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Maybe not but you'd need more money to pay the electric company every month.

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

That's not very christian-like to let little kids go hungry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I don't think his logic (or lack of it) comes from "Mormon" or
Christian values...more the selfishness of old age. It's a regression
to childlike behavior.
It's funny that so many hippies that were super liberals in the
Sixties and Seventies...are God offal, staunch, fat, conservatives
now. My brother being one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 5:52*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On May 4, 4:44*pm, "Bill Ng" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in ...
Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Maybe not but you'd need more money to pay the electric company every month.

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

That's not very christian-like to let little kids go hungry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I don't think his logic (or lack of it) comes from "Mormon" or
Christian values...more the selfishness of old age. It's a regression
to childlike behavior.
It's funny that so many hippies that were super liberals in the
Sixties and Seventies...are God offal, staunch, fat, conservatives
now. My brother being one.

My brain is shot too, it's "awful" ain't it? (can't even rely on spell-
check anymore!)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"DGDevin" wrote in
m:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I know a guy who's built up quite a business replacing florescent
tube lights in parking decks with direct drop in LED replacement
lamps and he's doing a great deal of business. The owners have
decided it's a good return on their investment.

Our neighbor owns a nightclub and has replaced most of his stage
lighting with LED units which not only burn way less power but don't
generate nearly as much heat which the performers really appreciate.
He even thinks it's saving him money on air conditioning since the new
lights are producing so much less heat. It sure looks like the way
lighting will go.

It sounds great, and I will keep it in mind, but $60/tube for a 4 ft
fixture that likely needs 2 tubes to work well enough? At 1/3 the price
I'll consider a few replacements, but I guess that'll be a few years off

I did pay $40 for a 3-light LED undercabinet light. At 1.5 W/LED, I can
afford continuous light on my kitchen counter without the overheads.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lets see. If we had filament bulbs, we would not need the
power conditioners?

Trust liberals. Because welfare didn't work, we now need
AFDC, SSI, SSD, Medicare, Medicade, and child health plus.

Medicade? Is that a new lemon-flavored beverage? I think it's Medicaid.
(-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:52*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" *wrote in ...
[...]

I HAVE SEEN SINLGE LED BI-PIN LAMPS ON A TRACKLIGHT SYSTEM..IT LOOKED
NICE & THE LIGHT WAS SUFFICIENT AT NIGHT...BUT SOME LEDS I HAVE SEEN
WORKING IN DAYLIGHT ARE INSUFFICIENT.

SOMEONE COME & ASK ME MY NAME
Taken back by surprise, what I saw with my eyes, this girl really
loves this guy !

THERE'LL BE NO MUTANT ENEMY ! POLITICAL ENDS AND SUB-REMAINS SHALL
DIE !

TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

Did not know that. I do recall someone posting a diagram or picture of
internal electronics for a cfl and there was a lot of stuff in there.
Surprising that they can make them so cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in news:ipu43o$g07$1@dont-
email.me:

On May 4, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

mercury is what provides the initial ions for current to flow across the
tube. it helps establish the arc.

I took apart a CFL and it only had two transistors,a tiny transformer,a
couple of electrolytic caps,2 diodes and some chip caps. It rectifies and
DOUBLES the input voltage,then converts to HF AC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 50,000 watt liberal finder, which I activate before
bedtime.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message

to try LEDs when the price is right. You can go on burning
kerosene or
whatever it is you do, and don't forget to check under your
bed for liberals
before you go to sleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I, and many others of my age, have played with mercury as a kid in the
1940s.
Rub it on a coin and it shined it up.
I'm not sure, but we might have even tasted it.
I remember busting the long florescent bulbs.
There is nothing wrong with me now.

Me too. Many times. I think that my first few Gilbert chemistry sets
even contained a small vial of mercury. I also played closely with a
"nuclear energy" set as a young teenager that included several sources
of alpha, beta, and gamma emitters. I also probably fried my feet to a
crisp in the shoe store fluoroscopes in the early 1950s.

I'm in my mid-60s with no evidence of radiation damage or mercury
poisioning.

This is not to say that mercury and ionizing radiation are not
dangerous, or that what we did is safe. But it seems that the current
hyperventilation over avoiding mercury levels that are only a small
fraction of what we experienced might be an over-reaction.