Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose for occasional use -- update

I hate to do this, but I've made a decision.
(Henry Blake, MASH 4077th).

I've got an estimate out, for cleaning the roof
AC unit. If the bid is accepted, I'm going to
buy four eaches, 50 foot lengths of the better
hose at Walmart. The nylon braided stuff.

I can remember one cheap hose I had, years
ago, that had a lot of kinks in it. I tried to
straighten out the hose, but the kinks remained.
The extra money would be worth it, to get
the job done. And there is a very great risk
that cheap hose would simply not do the job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2011 8:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I hate to do this, but I've made a decision.
(Henry Blake, MASH 4077th).

I've got an estimate out, for cleaning the roof
AC unit. If the bid is accepted, I'm going to
buy four eaches, 50 foot lengths of the better
hose at Walmart. The nylon braided stuff.

I can remember one cheap hose I had, years
ago, that had a lot of kinks in it. I tried to
straighten out the hose, but the kinks remained.
The extra money would be worth it, to get
the job done. And there is a very great risk
that cheap hose would simply not do the job.

I have a couple of flat vinyl roll up hoses that came on their own
reels. They're cheap but handy for simple stuff. I also have heavy
duty expensive rubber hose with machined fittings because I often
hook up to the hot water on mop sinks for exceptional cleaning of
coils. Hot water works so much better. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 6:30*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I hate to do this, but I've made a decision.
(Henry Blake, MASH 4077th).

I've got an estimate out, for cleaning the roof
AC unit. If the bid is accepted, I'm going to
buy four eaches, 50 foot lengths of the better
hose at Walmart. The nylon braided stuff.

I can remember one cheap hose I had, years
ago, that had a lot of kinks in it. I tried to
straighten out the hose, but the kinks remained.
The extra money would be worth it, to get
the job done. And there is a very great risk
that cheap hose would simply not do the job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

For work like that, I would want the lightest, most flexible hose
possible. Working on a roof wrestling a stiff hose is not my idea of
fun. Of course it does leave one with the problem of kinking. Pretty
much a mexican stand-off as to which is better.

Perhaps a stiff one to get up to the roof then a cheap flexible?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid of heights, so I usually have a stiff one before I go up on
the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish I could find the flat cheap roll up ones. I was able to
find cloth type hose for $35 for 50 feet. That gets a bit
expensive. I agree about hot water, it does work better. I
take hot water for coil cleaning, when I can find it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I have a couple of flat vinyl roll up hoses that came on
their own
reels. They're cheap but handy for simple stuff. I also have
heavy
duty expensive rubber hose with machined fittings because I
often
hook up to the hot water on mop sinks for exceptional
cleaning of
coils. Hot water works so much better. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might be on to something, some of each. I'm remembering
some old vinyl hose I had, years ago. The hose was kinked
shut in several places, which made it useless. At the
moment, I'm thinking to wait till I get the bid, and then go
buy good hose. Not total indestructo, but good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message

For work like that, I would want the lightest, most flexible
hose
possible. Working on a roof wrestling a stiff hose is not
my idea of
fun. Of course it does leave one with the problem of
kinking. Pretty
much a mexican stand-off as to which is better.

Perhaps a stiff one to get up to the roof then a cheap
flexible?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm OK on flat roofs, but climbing the ladder terrifies me.
And the moment betwen the ladder and the roof terrifies me
even worse. Next week, I've got to do a building that is
about 20 feet tall, and that's really going to be a bad
experience. Gives me sweatty palms. I should buy a small
container of foot powder, and powder my palms before I climb
the ladder. My palms are sweatting, as I type, just thinking
of climbing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'm afraid of heights, so I usually have a stiff one before
I go up on
the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I'm OK on flat roofs, but climbing the ladder terrifies me.
And the moment betwen the ladder and the roof terrifies me
even worse. Next week, I've got to do a building that is
about 20 feet tall, and that's really going to be a bad
experience. Gives me sweatty palms. I should buy a small
container of foot powder, and powder my palms before I climb
the ladder. My palms are sweatting, as I type, just thinking
of climbing.

I keep a bottle of Ativan (lorazepam) on hand for anxiety-producing
situations and to break the cycle of insomnia when it becomes
repetitive. 0.5 mg will let me sleep all night, and 0.25 mg is perfect
for the kind of experience you're talking about. Put it under the tongue
20-30 minutes before you get the ladder out.

It's a benzodiazepine (like Valium, aka "mother's little helper") so it
can be habit forming. I know quite a few people who take it nightly for
sleep, but I wouldn't do that. A bottle of a dozen usually lasts me six
months or a year.

It is not a sleeping pill, so it's not likely to make you drowsy. (It's
effect on sleep is to quiet the mind. Like meditation, but faster.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

the roof.- Hide quoted text -

Ah for those days when I had a 'stiff one". Getting old is not fun.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 6:41*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm OK on flat roofs, but climbing the ladder terrifies me.
And the moment betwen the ladder and the roof terrifies me
even worse. Next week, I've got to do a building that is
about 20 feet tall, and that's really going to be a bad
experience. Gives me sweatty palms. I should buy a small
container of foot powder, and powder my palms before I climb
the ladder. My palms are sweatting, as I type, just thinking
of climbing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'm afraid of heights, so I usually have a stiff one before
I go up on
the roof.

Same here except I _can_ work from a ladder as long as I'm not up very
far. It is getting back on the ladder from the roof that really gets
to me.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

I keep a bottle of Ativan (lorazepam) on hand for anxiety-producing
situations and to break the cycle of insomnia when it becomes
repetitive. 0.5 mg will let me sleep all night, and 0.25 mg is perfect
for the kind of experience you're talking about. Put it under the
tongue 20-30 minutes before you get the ladder out.

I couldn't imagine any advice worse than recommending a benzo before
climbing a ladder.

I honestly hope this is just a joke that I just don't get.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

I keep a bottle of Ativan (lorazepam) on hand for anxiety-producing
situations and to break the cycle of insomnia when it becomes
repetitive. 0.5 mg will let me sleep all night, and 0.25 mg is perfect
for the kind of experience you're talking about. Put it under the
tongue 20-30 minutes before you get the ladder out.

I couldn't imagine any advice worse than recommending a benzo before
climbing a ladder.

I honestly hope this is just a joke that I just don't get.

Jon

Not at all a joke, and perfectly appropriate. Someone who is terrified
of ladders is orders of magnitude safer on one, with steady nerves. I'm
talking 1/4 milligram, not five grams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
Not at all a joke, and perfectly appropriate. Someone who is terrified
of ladders is orders of magnitude safer on one, with steady nerves.
I'm talking 1/4 milligram, not five grams.

You are supposed to be afraid of heights, it keeps you alive. The way to
overcome that fear is through gradual exposure, developing the confidence
and the motor pathways which enable you to safely reach the heights you need
to reach.

Circumventing this by taking a drug which reduces the anxiety only places
you in a situation which your brain has not been trained to deal with, with
a higher likelihood of making a mistake and falling. This is exacerbated by
the reduction of inhibitions caused by the drug, which, even in small doses,
cause you not to fully realize the danger you are in.

Ask your doctor if he thinks your advice is sound, but you already know what
he is going to tell you.

Falling off of a ladder isn't a matter of twisting your ankle, it often
involves damaging the spine, or worse, the cervical vertebrae, leading to
various forms of paralysis. Sometimes you get lucky and just can't lift
more than five pounds for the rest of your life. I know several guys this
has happened to over my lifetime, and it just isn't worth it.

If you are unable to train yourself to climb a ladder safely, and with
confidence, hire a gutter cleaning service.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rather not be medicated. Need my reflexes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote
in message ...
Smitty Two wrote:

I keep a bottle of Ativan (lorazepam) on hand for
anxiety-producing
situations and to break the cycle of insomnia when it
becomes
repetitive. 0.5 mg will let me sleep all night, and 0.25
mg is perfect
for the kind of experience you're talking about. Put it
under the
tongue 20-30 minutes before you get the ladder out.

I couldn't imagine any advice worse than recommending a
benzo before
climbing a ladder.

I honestly hope this is just a joke that I just don't get.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with you, fear helps keep a person safe. Can I hire a
gutter cleaning service to go to the roof of a mall, and
change AC filters? Or clean the coils on a roof AC? My
agreement says I'm not allowed to hire subcontractors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2011 3:40 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the decay curve of age. I did high work as a kid, and even
free-climbed rock faces at the local quarry. However, a few years ago,
apparently my body had enough of that foolishness, and started sending
me messages. Started around the same time I noticed that I was using the
handrail on stairways. WTF? I can't even stand close to the balcony rail
in the lobby at work anymore without getting that funny feeling, or
twist around halfway up my extension ladder to trim tree branches that
are getting into the house. And I carry the ladder around the house and
set it on the deck, to get on the roof now, versus extending it all the
way from the driveway by the garage door. That step back onto the ladder
from the roof was just getting too scary.

So, I do still do SOME high work, but I'm a lot more careful now, and
plan all my moves to minimize the trips up and down. But my place is a
one-story- if I had a 2-story, I think I'd probably hire the roof work out.

My inner ears are probably looking out for me. 18 and immortal was a
LONG time ago, and I don't bounce worth a damn any more.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I hear that a lot. Funny thing is I've gone pretty much the opposite
direction. I used to get "High Angsiety" in a five-story building and was
really afraid to go from ladder to roof. Not so much anymore.

So, I do still do SOME high work, but I'm a lot more careful now, and
plan all my moves to minimize the trips up and down. But my place is a
one-story- if I had a 2-story, I think I'd probably hire the roof work out.

I'll hire out most of the roof work, primarily because our roof is 15:12. ;-)

My inner ears are probably looking out for me. 18 and immortal was a
LONG time ago, and I don't bounce worth a damn any more.

That's for sure.

My problem is that my knees and feet won't take the abuse anymore. After a
couple of hours on a ladder, both will be reminding me that I shouldn't have
done that, for a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Much the same, here. When I was 18, I loved ladders and high
places. Now, 30 years later, ladders scare me. I'm fine with
flat roofs, but up the ladder, and onto the roof really
terrifies me. And the moment from the roof to the ladder
scares the life out of me, again.

That said, last week, I needed to be on a roof to change
filters on HVAC unit. My helper and I found the safest
place, and I went up. I got to doing too many things at
once, and forgot to put the filters into one of the units.
Had to go back up. Ah, well. Made for a long day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that sounds like real world wisdom. The ladder I'd be
using is fiberglass. It is 300 pound rated, and I weigh
somewhat less than that. Your fall due to the ladder, that
sounds miserable. I'm guessing you're going to be on
ibuprophen for a long time.

The two length of hose I've got now, are some kind of vinyl
with nylon mesh woven in. these have lasted for about 20
years. They have been hanging on the shade side of my
trailer since about 1994. They are reasonably light weight.
My Dad had some rubber hose, which was heavy, stiff, and
clumsy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

If you're using an aluminum step ladder, toss it in the
trash and buy
a good wooden ladder before you go to the roof. In Feb. I
went to my
roof to shovel off the snow, using an aluminum step ladder
in an icy
deck. I finished the roof, but when I stepped on the ladder
the legs
bent and I fell all the way down, and ended up in the
hospital. I
will never use or own another aluminum step ladder. They
are weak and
because they were on a slippery and icy deck, the legs just
buckled.
After I fell, that fu**ing ladder hit me in the face as well
as poking
a hole in my siding. Both rear legs were bent at a 90 deg.
angle away
from the ladder. I'm still cussing at that POS, even though
it went
to the recycler months ago. My back is still sore after
weeks of
physical therapy and meds. I actually crushed a steel
folding chair
when I fell on it.

As far as the hose, get a RUBBER Hose if you want a good
one. They
all kink, but rubber lasts almost forever and wont get stiff
or break
in cold weather. They cost double the price of a
reinforeced plastic
one but last many years. Spend the $30 for a rubber hose
which will
last you at least 12 years, rather than $15 for a plastic
that will
last 2 or 3 years. In the end, you come out ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2011 8:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Now, that sounds like real world wisdom. The ladder I'd be
using is fiberglass. It is 300 pound rated, and I weigh
somewhat less than that. Your fall due to the ladder, that
sounds miserable. I'm guessing you're going to be on
ibuprophen for a long time.

The two length of hose I've got now, are some kind of vinyl
with nylon mesh woven in. these have lasted for about 20
years. They have been hanging on the shade side of my
trailer since about 1994. They are reasonably light weight.
My Dad had some rubber hose, which was heavy, stiff, and
clumsy.

Don't know if it's been mentioned...are you sure there is sufficient
water pressure to get water up to that roof? Have a little experience
with connecting outside faucet to use on second story, and it wasn't
much pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The water around my part of the world typically 50 to 60
PSI, at 2.2 feet lift per PSI. Which is plenty to get to the
top of a 20 foot roof. The one I did a couple weeks ago,
plenty of pressure at the roof.

Did you have a cheap vinyl hose with lots of kinks to cut
off the flow? Enquiring minds want to know!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

Don't know if it's been mentioned...are you sure there is
sufficient
water pressure to get water up to that roof? Have a little
experience
with connecting outside faucet to use on second story, and
it wasn't
much pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I'd rather not be medicated. Need my reflexes.

--
Christopher A. Young

You ain't gonna have any reflexes if those sweaty hands cause you to
fall off the damn ladder. O.25 mg. of Ativan doesn't really qualify as
"medicated," though some disagree. You'd not notice a "buzz" or a
reduction in mental acuity at all.

Garden hose or occasional use -- buy quality? Stormin Mormon Home Repair 28 April 22nd 11 05:42 PM
Garden hose MiamiCuse Home Repair 22 July 16th 09 05:13 AM
Hose adapter - Facuet to Garden Hose? MP Home Repair 7 July 26th 07 02:43 AM
How to fix my garden hose? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 09:29 PM
Air Hose as Garden Hose?? Derek Metalworking 11 March 23rd 05 09:25 AM