Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose or occasional use -- buy quality?

I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:25:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?
The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

If you need it to last forever, really run up the credit card debt and
buy Sears Craftsman Rubber Hose. They will replace it forever, just
like the tools
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

Braided nylon last a really long time. I have a couple 100 foot lengths
over 10 years old and no leaks. I avoid pulling on kinks.

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 9:25*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term debt,
perhaps your cash flow is such that you should forgo this
project...unless, of course, the project is going to make you money in
the long run.

If you can't afford the hose with your existing cash, how will you pay
for the water it uses or any other expenses related to the project?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

We don't buy anything on credit. If we do not have the money saved we don't
need it. Always had low paying jobs. now retired and have less. However we
live fine with what we have and not what we wish for. Sent 2 boys to college
and have no debts. That credit thing is why so many people are in financial
trouble. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:13:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term debt

Where'd the "long term" come from? It's still a debt no matter how long
it takes to pay it back. Personally I hate putting stuff on credit cards
even if I know it'll be paid off in a month.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:25:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a work
project. Might need the hose two or three times a year, for use during
the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from Walmart, or get the
braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

How do the prices stack up for 50' v 100' v 200' etc.? At least if one
50' section breaks you're not replacing the entire run - but then maybe
50' lengths are far more expensive per foot than longer hoses?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hoses tend to break where people crease them to cut off water flow
(instead of using the faucet), when they're run over by something
(lawn mower) or when they're full of water with a closed nozzle/
sprayer on the end and then left out in the hot sun (water expands).
If none of those apply then it's way cheaper to get the cheap hose and
if necessary keep an extra 50' as a spare (unless of course running to
the store if it breaks is an option, then you don't need the spare).

If hoses didn't last a dozen uses nobody would own hoses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?
The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

If you need it to last forever, really run up the credit card debt and
buy Sears Craftsman Rubber Hose. They will replace it forever, just
like the tools

We have tons of everyday commercially hard used Craftsman tools
(including hoses), and do warranty exchanges on the broken ones
sometimes weekly. Did all that buying nonsense back in the early 70's...
the Craftsman warranty has been a great value for us.

However, I'm becoming concerned that Sears might not be around much
longer. There is never anyone in the store anymore, and the
price/quality points of their other goods is 'amazing'.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 11:52*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:13:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term debt

Where'd the "long term" come from? It's still a debt no matter how long
it takes to pay it back. Personally I hate putting stuff on credit cards
even if I know it'll be paid off in a month.

cheers

Jules

"Where'd the "long term" come from? "

Call it an assumption, but when someone takes the time to mention "The
expensive stuff means more credit card debt." (note the use of the
word "more") *and* brings it up as part of the decision making
process, it seems to me that it's not going to get paid off anytime
soon.

Obviously, for SM's sake, I'd love to be wrong and have made a bad
assumption, but I'd really curious as to why the words "more credit
card debt" were mentioned if it wasn't an pretty big issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

At home I buy the even better quality. For projects where I may be leaving
it overnight I buy the cheap stuff so the thieves won't bother to steal it.

The only thing I would point out is that the cheaper hoses have a tendecy to
kink even when new. On a 50 or 100 foot run I accept that as the cost of
doing business.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 8:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

if you're talking about those bright yellow ones, they last fairly well.
I've only had problems with them where they are driven over on a
gravel driveway. They have a tendency to de-laminate in the layers and
then bulge and blow. Course I have 112psi on my outside hydrants also.
For occasional use i'd certainly buy the cheap ones.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 10:55 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:25:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a work
project. Might need the hose two or three times a year, for use during
the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from Walmart, or get the
braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

How do the prices stack up for 50' v 100' v 200' etc.? At least if one
50' section breaks you're not replacing the entire run - but then maybe
50' lengths are far more expensive per foot than longer hoses?

cheers

Jules

I put every dime we spend on discover. Yes, mcdonalds and burger king
also. REWARDS!. pay off each month, they make nothing off me.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

This is what neighbors are for, borrow the hoses, if they ever want
them back loan them back to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 11:55*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:25:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a work
project. Might need the hose two or three times a year, for use during
the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from Walmart, or get the
braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

How do the prices stack up for 50' v 100' v 200' etc.? At least if one
50' section breaks you're not replacing the entire run - but then maybe
50' lengths are far more expensive per foot than longer hoses?

cheers

Jules

I'm sure you know that they make repair couplings.

If I had a 200' hose and it sprung a leak at 75' (or would that be
125'?) I wouldn't replace the entire run, I'd give up a few inches and
repair it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

reply:

Lemmeeseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Buy one and put it on a credit card, and end up
paying what I could have paid for one with a lifetime
guarantee....................

Wait, wait, I know this one .........................................

I'm with you, DD.....

I never really knew what a good hose was until the construction company
doing street repairs ran over my cheapo garden hose. They replaced it with
a Goodyear hose with the heavy brass fittings. After that, I learned the
differences in hoses, and have never bought another cheap hose. Of course,
I haven't had to because these don't die unless I leave them out full of
water in freezing weather. I have found some at yard sales at the
ridiculous prices of $3-$5, and I gobble them up. I then go to the tire
store and get free rims, and mount them on a piece of scrap pipe, making a
neato hose holder, particularly any you can find with a hubcap.

AND, there's no CC debt dilemma or guilt...........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:13:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term debt

Where'd the "long term" come from? It's still a debt no matter how long
it takes to pay it back. Personally I hate putting stuff on credit cards
even if I know it'll be paid off in a month.

cheers

Jules

We run $3-$7k a month on credit cards, all paid for the first statement, no
interest. Those plane tickets sure pile up in a hurry.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 11:02*am, "WW" wrote:
[...]

@WW:

People who need to claim business expenses for tax purposes usually
select
a credit card which is ONLY used for such expenses... Makes
accounting
all that much easier... Only 12 monthly statements to keep track of
to have
an organized explanation of the charges...

Keeping a cash ledger and all those cash receipts for a business takes
a lot
of time which a lot of people would rather not have to do
administratively...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:02*am, "WW" wrote:
[...]

OK Buster, you asked fer it. Jes wait fer that knock on the door. The
FBI bin tipped off to yer UNAMERICAN activity!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

One can get free rims at a tire store? Seriously? I'm looking for
some way to store one of my backyard hoses & don't want to spring for
a second cart.
Please advise. Tx

HB

and mount them on a piece of scrap pipe, making a
neato hose holder, particularly any you can find with a hubcap.

AND, there's no CC debt dilemma or guilt...........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 9:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may be needing another 200 or so feet of garden hose for a
work project. Might need the hose two or three times a year,
for use during the day.

Should I buy the cheap $7.97 lengths of 50 feet from
Walmart, or get the braided nylon good stuff for 14.97?

Don't want to go 100 feet, that's too clumsy to handle.
Since the hose is used one or two days a year, I'm leaning
toward the cheap hose, it won't get much use. And won't be
out in the sunshine for very long. The expensive stuff means
more credit card debt.

I would buy the less expensive hose and get a good reel for it.
Reasoning is: more substantial hose would be very heavy and harder to
manage. The lighter hose will reel in easier, be lighter, and would
store on the reel. Having that length of lighter hose without a reel
would lead to more twists and kinks. Unhitch it from the faucet before
reeling it up so it empties and doesn't burst if it freezes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

True, my cash flow is really tragic. The hose will be used
at work, to make more money. The water will be provided by
the business, where I'm cleaning a roof AC unit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term
debt,
perhaps your cash flow is such that you should forgo this
project...unless, of course, the project is going to make
you money in
the long run.

If you can't afford the hose with your existing cash, how
will you pay
for the water it uses or any other expenses related to the
project?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's both a question of price, and also convenience. Having
to drain 100 foot lengths of hose each time I use it, is a
bit of work. The job I've got lined up, would have to run
hose across a bit of parking lot, and there is a risk of
someone driving over a coupling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules Richardson" wrote
in message ...

How do the prices stack up for 50' v 100' v 200' etc.? At
least if one
50' section breaks you're not replacing the entire run - but
then maybe
50' lengths are far more expensive per foot than longer
hoses?

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kinked hose reduces the water flow. Over 400 foot run, that
can really mess up a job. So, maybe the more expensive hose
works better. Probably so.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

The only thing I would point out is that the cheaper hoses
have a tendecy to
kink even when new. On a 50 or 100 foot run I accept that
as the cost of
doing business.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be surprised if tire stores have rims. But, who can
tell? Usually people take home the same rims that they
bring. Maybe an auto wrecking yard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

One can get free rims at a tire store? Seriously? I'm
looking for
some way to store one of my backyard hoses & don't want to
spring for
a second cart.
Please advise. Tx

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

The hose will be used, occasionally, and always away from
home. Put the hose in the van, drive it to the store, and
travel water from the ground level hose faucet to the roof
level HVAC unit that needs cleaning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

I would buy the less expensive hose and get a good reel for
it.
Reasoning is: more substantial hose would be very heavy and
harder to
manage. The lighter hose will reel in easier, be lighter,
and would
store on the reel. Having that length of lighter hose
without a reel
would lead to more twists and kinks. Unhitch it from the
faucet before
reeling it up so it empties and doesn't burst if it freezes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:13:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I mean this in the nicest way, really:

If $60 needs to be placed on a CC and carried as long term debt

Where'd the "long term" come from? It's still a debt no matter how long
it takes to pay it back. Personally I hate putting stuff on credit cards
even if I know it'll be paid off in a month.

cheers

Jules

We run $3-$7k a month on credit cards, all paid for the first statement, no
interest. Those plane tickets sure pile up in a hurry.

I take cash - or Home Depot gift cards if there is a discount. I
get from 1-5% back. Then sometimes a 10% off gift card.

If I was a better book keeper I could tell you what the CC folks are
paying *me*--- but I can guarantee they haven't gotten a dime of my
money in decades.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

for the water it uses or any other expenses related to the project?- Hide quoted text -

Same thing struck me. He is talking about buying 4, 50' sections.
Difference between the cheap and the 'good' is only abotu $24 using
his figures.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 10:26*am, Shaun Eli
wrote:
Hoses tend to break where people crease them to cut off water flow
(instead of using the faucet), when they're run over by something
(lawn mower) or when they're full of water with a closed nozzle/
sprayer on the end and then left out in the hot sun (water expands).
If none of those apply then it's way cheaper to get the cheap hose and
if necessary keep an extra 50' as a spare (unless of course running to
the store if it breaks is an option, then you don't need the spare).

If hoses didn't last a dozen uses nobody would own hoses.

I'm still using the cheap, yellow flexible things. Haven't replaced
one in years and they stay out year round, draped over anything
convenient or just lay on the ground. Yes, they kink by just looking
at them but it only takes a few seconds to walk the lenght and unkink
after stretching them out.

Harry K

Garden hose MiamiCuse Home Repair 22 July 16th 09 05:13 AM
Best Garden Hose Wayne Boatwright[_4_] Home Repair 17 May 23rd 09 07:25 PM
Hose adapter - Facuet to Garden Hose? MP Home Repair 7 July 26th 07 02:43 AM
How to fix my garden hose? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 09:29 PM
Air Hose as Garden Hose?? Derek Metalworking 11 March 23rd 05 09:25 AM