Posted to alt.home.repair

Default looking for a knife

I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. I appreciate
the responses in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 27, 11:33*am, "nefletch" wrote:
I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. *I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. *I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. *The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. *I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. *Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. *I appreciate
the responses in advance.

I can tell you what *not* to buy... I had a CRKT pocketknife with a
stainless blade that someone gave me as a gift, and it dulled very
quickly.

I just lost it a week or so ago and gave up and bought a cheapo
Schrade from Tractor Supply. Haven't used it enough to assess how
long it keeps an edge, but it was razor sharp out of the box.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 27, 1:50*pm, N8N wrote:
[...]

My woods pack has a CRKT M-16. Found it to be a very good all around
knife that does keep an edge. Everyday use it's the box cutter folding
knife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. I appreciate
the responses in advance.

I like the folders that take the replaceable cutting blades. DO NOT buy the
one with the pushbutton release, but the one with the clothespin type safety
closure. For opening boxes and cutting banding, they are great, and quickly
sharpened by inserting a new blade. Other knives are good, as recommended,
but more $$$, and you have to carry a sharpening stone, and eventually, they
wear down. Plus, if you lose one, you have to pony up more $$$, whereas the
folders with the replaceable blades are not as spendy.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the tools section of Home Depot, I bought a pocket type
knife. has a blade that slides out, and has "break away"
blade. I never break it, I've been resharpening the same
blade for several years. It's not obviously a knife, looks
more like a yellow highlighter.

Some Dollar Tree places like that have disposable break off
knives, that come with a little knife that looks more like a
tape measure. I wired one like that to alligator clip, and
clipped to the lapel of my shirt when I worked at a factory
and opened a lot of boxes.

For cutting plastic straps, EMT bandage shears are the cats
meow. You can get a belt holster for bandage shears, also.

As to the no knives rule, it's time to shoot all the
attorneys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. I
also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. I appreciate
the responses in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Gerber caron-steel folder I bought at Wlmart for $20-25. It
keeps an edge reasonably well. I use it most often for cutting paper,
so I keep a pretty fine edge on it that dulls a but quicker than I
would like when cutting anything more substantial. Don't put as fine
an edge on it if you cut a lot of banding.

More importantly to me than how often I have to sharpen is that I can
easily open/close it with one hand.

I don't see it on their web site, but it looks similar to this one,
but without the skeletal handle.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Par...Knife/11071296
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:54:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As to the no knives rule, it's time to shoot all the
attorneys.

Start with the ones that banned dodgeball.

http://www.fecrecpark.com/dodgeball1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in
scommunications:

I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. I appreciate
the responses in advance.

Get a box cutter. One that uses single edge razor blades,cheap to
replace,VERY sharp. One I have is thinner than a pocket knife.

Cold Steel,Columbia Knife and Tool(aka CKRT),Benchmade,all make good
folding knives,perhaps a bit pricier than you want.
Gerber,too,and you can find them at WalMart.

Or go to a gun show,they usually have some vendors who specialize in
knives. and boxes of cheap knives abound there.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 8:33 AM nefletch spake thus:

I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. I appreciate
the responses in advance.

Barlow knife. Got mine (a Craftsman) years ago, don't even remember
where. I think Sears may still sell them.

Perfect size, folds, two blades of good steel.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message ...

Box cutters used to be the way to go, but thanx to our fascist govt
and the Dept Homeland Security, it's now unpatriotic to have good
tools.

I've known people who actually lived under fascist governments, you have no
clue or you wouldn't throw around the word so casually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message

I can tell you what *not* to buy... I had a CRKT pocketknife with a
stainless blade that someone gave me as a gift, and it dulled very
quickly.

I have several CRKT knives and like them just fine. They hire top designers
and offer some nice knives at reasonable prices, at least the ones made in
Taiwan have been good for me, haven't tried any of the ones made in China.

They use several different kinds of stainless steel, some perhaps better at
holding an edge than others. Of course cutting cardboard and plastic is a
great way to dull a blade, that's a job for a box-cutter. If the original
poster has to open a lot of boxes and so on then he should ask his employer
to provide him with a box-cutter with replaceable blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
cations...

If you really need a cutting tool for work, ask your boss to provide you
with one.

uuuuhhhhmmmmm, let me guess. You lean to the left politically, and
you believe that the unions are our savior..

Or he's smart enough to have figured out that if the employer provides a
tool then they can't fire an employee for having one at work. That's just
the sort of thing a union is good at, protecting against arbitrary
dismissal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-28, DGDevin wrote:

I've known people who actually lived under fascist governments, you have no
clue or you wouldn't throw around the word so casually.

There are bad fascist govts and worse fascist govts. The US currently
fits the technical definition in practice, if not theory and/or
political assertion.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have two on me now.

A Gerber Skeletal, cost $29 and a Swiss with a bunch of stuff on it,
cost about $60.

The Gerber is what I use most often. It is easier to open and has a
pocket clip. I use it daily like you and I sharpen it once every
several weeks.

The Swiss holds an edge better and longer but is not convenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 27, 11:33*am, "nefletch" wrote:
I originally tried this post in a knife newsgroup, oops,
wrong crowd for a do-it-yourselfer.....so I thought
I would ask the newsgroup who were a little more
like myself, all comments appreciated.

I like to carry a small, thin knife for every day use. *I also
use it at work to open boxes, cut plastic banding, etc. *I
am not supposed to have a knife at work, but my work is
easier with one. *The current one I have is a folder, very
thin, and cheap. *I hate how the blade dulls after a few
uses. *Looking for recommendations for decent quality
knife that will hold an edge, but am not interested in
spending a ton of money for a pocket knife. *I appreciate
the responses in advance.

I have been using a key chain knife for some time. I can't live
without it, and sometimes
it opens in my pocket. Perhaps one that does not open like a
switchblade
would be better. I have sharpened it maybe once or twice after several
years.
http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...ive-KS1600.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 1:47*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
Or he's smart enough to have figured out that if the employer provides a
tool then they can't fire an employee for having one at work.

Oh yes they can. If company policy says "you can't bring in a knife"
and you bring in a knife, they can fire your ass even if the company
is a knife manufacturer.

It's called *letter of the law* which is what I thought was one of the
things conservatives stood for...

*That's just
the sort of thing a union is good at, protecting against arbitrary
dismissal.

They're also good at protecting against dismissal with good cause. You
can be a total jack-off, a total screw-up, but if you're a card-
carrying union member you're set for life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it is mostly used for opening boxes, what about a regular boxcutter
or utility/razor knife? If the common type is too bulky there is a version
that is flat, just a few inches long, and takes a regular utility blade.

Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-14SFG Special Forces Folding Veff Serrated Blade Knife [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 11:21 AM
Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design Owen Lawrence Woodworking 12 July 29th 06 07:34 PM
Another knife Tim Williams Metalworking 1 October 5th 05 03:52 PM
knife box Par Woodworking 10 September 26th 05 07:25 AM
New knife Tim Williams Metalworking 6 June 24th 05 03:39 AM