Tim Williams

Default New knife

http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife2.jpg

13 1/4" overall length, 7" of sharp cutting edge (though it could stand to
be ground steeper... the hell with it, all that manual labor!). Pretty
weighty (all solid construction, haven't weighed it) so seems good for
chopping.

Yes I had to cut an ugly-ass notch in the handle (made of 25% Zn brass plus
maybe 5% lead and tin) to fit the blade tang, since my as-cast core didn't
work quite right. Still needs some other finishing work, though it could be
acceptable in the current dirty condition.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

JohnM

Tim Williams wrote:
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife2.jpg

13 1/4" overall length, 7" of sharp cutting edge (though it could stand to
be ground steeper... the hell with it, all that manual labor!). Pretty
weighty (all solid construction, haven't weighed it) so seems good for
chopping.

Yes I had to cut an ugly-ass notch in the handle (made of 25% Zn brass plus
maybe 5% lead and tin) to fit the blade tang, since my as-cast core didn't
work quite right. Still needs some other finishing work, though it could be
acceptable in the current dirty condition.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Very cool.. Did you leave the tip squared off just so it wouldn't be
pointy in a bad way? What alloy do you have?

I like a drop-point knife, there's times when you need that point and I
prefer it to be tougn.

For the next one, pound out some Damascus from steel banding- I think
that'd make a very nice blade.

John
Tim Williams

"JohnM" wrote in message
Very cool.. Did you leave the tip squared off just so it wouldn't be
pointy in a bad way? What alloy do you have?

Was thinking of pulling the diagonal down to make a sharp tip actually. I
forget what the blade was, a chisel or something. Probably 1080 or so.

For the next one, pound out some Damascus from steel banding- I think
that'd make a very nice blade.

Haven't had some in a while, but isn't that like 1040-1060 or so? Would at
least need to be carburized then.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Jeff Wisnia

Tim Williams wrote:
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...rassKnife2.jpg

13 1/4" overall length, 7" of sharp cutting edge (though it could stand to
be ground steeper... the hell with it, all that manual labor!). Pretty
weighty (all solid construction, haven't weighed it) so seems good for
chopping.

Yes I had to cut an ugly-ass notch in the handle (made of 25% Zn brass plus
maybe 5% lead and tin) to fit the blade tang, since my as-cast core didn't
work quite right. Still needs some other finishing work, though it could be
acceptable in the current dirty condition.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

I love the appearance oif that beastie!

Just like some ladies I've been pleased to know, it has that "lived in
look".

And, backgrounding it with schematics which combine semiconductors with
triode vacuum tubes adds penache to the overall "retro" appearance. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

JohnM

Tim Williams wrote:
"JohnM" wrote in message

Very cool.. Did you leave the tip squared off just so it wouldn't be
pointy in a bad way? What alloy do you have?

Was thinking of pulling the diagonal down to make a sharp tip actually. I
forget what the blade was, a chisel or something. Probably 1080 or so.

You could nick the edge back for a tanto tip..

I've made scrapers from old wood chisels, nice steel in some of them.

For the next one, pound out some Damascus from steel banding- I think
that'd make a very nice blade.

Haven't had some in a while, but isn't that like 1040-1060 or so? Would at
least need to be carburized then.

It's pretty soft as is but I thought it had a goodly carbon content..
maybe it is just soft stuff, if so there might be little to be done with
it. There's a lot of cool sources for edged tools that if one weren't
ideal just try something else; some piston rings seem interesting, steel
cable, spring steel, the shifting stick in out of a pickup or truck
transmission, files, etc. I've got some interesting stuff, I was told it
was a low carbon spring steel. It's strange to forge, it seems to get
pretty soft around 900F and then harder again up to around 1500F (if I
try to bend it, it'd rather bend back where it's not red).. Tough stuff,
someday I'm going to make a blade from it. Tried a piece for a cutting
tool in the lathe- fuel oil quench with no temper worked pretty good..

John

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Gunner

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:11:20 -0400, JohnM wrote:

[...]

Pick up a few used power hacksaw blades. They make excellent knives.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
JohnM

Gunner wrote:

Pick up a few used power hacksaw blades. They make excellent knives.

That's a good one I've not thought of.

John

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Sharpening a reel lawn mower? toller Home Repair 5 May 5th 05 12:02 PM
Riving knife modification? Richard Moore Woodworking 1 April 30th 05 08:38 PM
Riving knife for Unisaw Eric Anderson Woodworking 8 November 18th 04 01:06 PM
Window Glazing Jay Pique Woodworking 21 December 8th 03 07:12 PM
Japanese saw blade for knife blank? Bruce C. Metalworking 5 September 12th 03 05:31 AM