Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewer/Water Policy

I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs.

I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 11:01*pm, Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. *But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs..

I can get coverage at $95 a year. *Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. *Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate

Did you read the fine print on that “insurance policy”? If I’m not
mistaken the insurance company will choose the contractor that will do
the work. Which means he can charge what ever he wants and if it’s
over the limit of what the policy will pay then you’re stuck with the
cost anyway. How about doing a Google search on a key sentence on the
fine print and posting a link to it so we all here can take it apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 11:29 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 26, 11:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did read the fine print. The company is called, "National Water
Company", and if you type that in Google Search, it will pop up.

They cover up to $5,000 in coverage per occurrence, within $5,000
aggregate for Water Line Protection policy. The same applies for the
sewer line policy.

You are right, my ins. co. chose the contractor. I live in a very small
town, and this area has been trying to find a contractor for years. I
see a lot of this type of repair being done to sewer/water lines in this
town, but mostly around older homes. My home is only 13 years old, but
I understand newer homes have problems too.

Thanks for your input, and I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Like I said, I welcome all feedback.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 11:01 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Modern day underground pipelines and drains properly installed are not
likely to give trouble. The main thing is to be deep enough to avoid
damage due to frost and vehicles traveling over them.
The most important thing you can do is make sure there are no large
trees growing near to your pipes and more importantly your drains.
Prevent trucks driving over pipelines too if you can, especially in
wet weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering
the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem
occurs.
I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for
20 years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if
I kept the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Hmm. My son had his sewer line replaced, about 70' from the house to the
city main line.

His neighbor (a Guatemalan) dug up the old stuff (some kind of thin, black,
plastic) laid in the '60s. The original was replaced with some new plastic
pipe about 6" in diameter - I think it was green - with 3/8" thick walls,
then covered it all back up.

Total cost was $450.

I'm glad my son has made friends in the immigrant community - they do good
work and have many contacts who will do similar good work in other
specialties off the books.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 11:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Yes, my neighbor has a huge tree by my system which concerns me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2010 3:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I am quite sure they would have to be busting out concrete in my case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 05:54:51 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

I hear you, but around here you can't get away with unpermitted,
unlicensed outside sewer work.
The "officials" will see you doing it.
But folks should really ask around and keep their ears open for
getting some things done.
I've saved a lot of money that way.
These guys usually don't advertise, so you have to stay alert to find
them.
As far as those sewer lines, best insurance is to cut down any trees
around them.
Might keep leaves out of the gutters too.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2010 2:01 AM, Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

No

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs.

We have been getting lots of those solicitations from the water company.
I can understand why because there is big money to be made selling
"insurance". First it was generalized marketing. Recent ones have
fluffed it up to scare folks. Now they have pictures of a backhoe
digging up a lawn and claims like "it just cost your neighbor in
"Smithville" $13,000 to repair their water line...

I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Kate" wrote in message
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc. damage
up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line breaks on my
property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs.

I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate

At that rate, I'd have paid for $4500 over the years and not needed it yet.
I'd rather use my money for other things or put it into a "house repair"
account for when things do happen. That insurance company is making money
off of you can paying employees.

The electric company installed a new pole down from my house. They drilled
right through my sewer line and it backed up a few weeks later. Total cost
(paid by them) was $1350 for the repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

The last one of those policies I read before I started routinely trashing
them stated that "the repairs to the line was covered but the concrete,
landscaping and other incidentals were not".

Be sure you read the thing with a reconvicted mindset of how are they going
to screw me.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 3:54*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

May I ask how your son even knew exactly where his sewer line was?
Most owners don’t have the slightest idea where the sewer line is or
how deep it is in order to dig to replace it. You can have a plumber
locate it for you but around here in California they charge $300.00
just to find it for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

Kate wrote:
[...]

other incidentals

Scumbuckets probably included moving dirt around it as an incidental.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 4:37*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

just to find it for you.- Hide quoted text -

The usual way is to lift the inspection chamber lids & then you can
see the direction the drains take.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure, but I think he has access to it as it leaves the house. I
presume the digging started there and just followed the (alleged) pipe to
the sanitary main.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 1:51*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

the sanitary main.- Hide quoted text -

Virtually every sewer connection I have seen in houses/buildings under
construction over the past 60+ years run straight out to the sewer
line in the street, or up the back property line where the sewers are
run in the back lot line. I have never seen one run diagonally out to
the street or back lot line, as that would require more digging and
more piping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 27, 1:51 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you said "virtually every" as opposed to "every". Mine runs out
at an angle of about 30 degrees and is a long run to the sewer as I'm the
first house on that line and it is the shortest distance. My next door
neighbor a couple of hundred feet away is on another line going in the
opposite direction. He is also uphill from me and the highest point on that
line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 27, 1:51 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I had the same plumber as Ed.

Actually mine runs on an angle to allow for the under basement drain run.
My original tap was on the other side of the lot but some one screwed up the
mains installation and it was not deep enough.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

$95 per year does not sound unreasonable. I had to have a length of
underground pipe replaced a few years ago and IIRC the cost was about
$1400. Some other things to consider, though, are the deductible and the
whether the insurance company will raise your rates if a claim is filed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

My old house, the sewer line was broken when I bought it, it was
maybe two feet deep and made of 2' sections of 4 inch clay tile pipe. I
dug up about 15 feet of it and shoved three inch plastic sewerline in
into the old pipe hearing it crunch through the root balls at each of
the old joints until I got it most of the way to to the alley, then
plumbed it back to the old line coming out of the house. So far it's
worked for 20+ years. And my old steel water service line developed a
leak about 15 years ago, I dug a new trench by hand all 50 feet of it
taking my time and soaking the ground each night. I replaced it with
3/4 inch PVC from the meter and through the old hole in the wall into
the basement. Not a big deal really if you take your time and know what
you are doing. And park cars around to block the view so the city
doesn't bother you when you are doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2010 3:48 PM, Larry W wrote:
$95 per year does not sound unreasonable. I had to have a length of
underground pipe replaced a few years ago and IIRC the cost was about
$1400. Some other things to consider, though, are the deductible and the
whether the insurance company will raise your rates if a claim is filed.

No there is no deductible, and this is a separate policy from my
Homeowner's/Automobile policies. The agent told me to not hesitate if I
need to file a claim on my homeowner's policy.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2010 5:51 PM, Fat Dumb & Happy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is that I am not capable of doing any of this type of repair
work. I also live in a very small town and finding someone to do this
type of work can be a challenge when an emergency comes up.

Still, I appreciate your feedback and will still research this matter.

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
The problem is that I am not capable of doing any of this type of
repair work. I also live in a very small town and finding someone to
do this type of work can be a challenge when an emergency comes up.

Still, I appreciate your feedback and will still research this matter.

Many thanks.

I suspect EVERY town in America has a Guatemalan or two...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Our local water system is gravity fed from mountain reservoirs. So there
tends to be high pressure in the early AM. Like in many areas folks
started using black plastic tubing for water service lines. After some
years many of those lines started to fail because they can't withstand
the pressure surges. Now all new and replacement lines are K copper.

My buddies parents bought the water line and sewer line "insurance".
They have a plastic service line. The line failed right inside the wall
and flooded the basement. Insurance paid contractor shows up and cuts
out the split section and inserts a coupling and some clamps and
declares the job done. My buddy follows up and finds out they will only
do the least amount of work required. If the line breaks 20 more times
they will just put more bandaids on it. A few months later the line
failed in another spot and flooded the basement again.

My buddy hired a contractor and in less than two hours they installed a
brand new copper service line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:35:29 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Kate wrote:
The problem is that I am not capable of doing any of this type of
repair work. I also live in a very small town and finding someone to
do this type of work can be a challenge when an emergency comes up.

Still, I appreciate your feedback and will still research this matter.

Many thanks.

I suspect EVERY town in America has a Guatemalan or two...

Check the Home Depot parking lot in the morning. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a number of different residential properties -- a few that I own and
a few that the company where I work owns and that I oversee. I/We only have
the sewer/water policy on one of the properties.

The main reason that we got the policy on that property is that it is a very
old property and the sewer line runs out to the street right under a HUGE
old oak tree at the curb. In fact, I am surprised that we haven't had a
major problem before now. If they do have to replace the line, my guess is
that they will have to relocate it to bypass the tree and tie it into the
main at a different location. So, for that one property, it seems like it
is worthwhile to have the policy in place.

For the other properties there is no real obvious risk of damage, and access
to everything is fairly easy. So we decided not to pay for a policy on
those properties.

Another advantage of the policy that I do like is that they have a reduced
fee charge for routine drain cleaning if there is a sewer backup.
Apparently, if there is a backup, we call them and they send out a drain
cleaning service for a flat fee of $50, even if it is during off hours etc.
That's a lot less than it would cost for us to have to call someone out to
snake out the drain, and for $50 it's worth paying someone else rather than
for me to have to try to do it myself (which I have done in the past). We
have had several backups in the drain line in the past, mostly due to the
way it is pitched, and sometimes due to the tenant-ocuppants flushing paper
towels etc. down the toilet.

I am pretty sure that the policy does say that if they have to break out the
concrete sidewalk to fix the line, replacing that section of the sidewalk is
our responsibility. But that's not a big deal to replace a 4x4 section of
sidewalk.

Based on what you wrote about the neighbor's tree and the fact that you are
not able or would not want to do the repairs on your own, I think that it
may be worthwhile for you to just sign up for the plan and have one less
thing to worry about.

Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering
the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem
occurs.
I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for
20 years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if
I kept the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Our local water system is gravity fed from mountain reservoirs. So
there tends to be high pressure in the early AM. Like in many areas
folks started using black plastic tubing for water service lines.
After some years many of those lines started to fail because they
can't withstand the pressure surges. Now all new and replacement
lines are K copper.

Huh?

Did the mountain go down as the sun came up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc. damage
up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line breaks on my
property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs.

I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate

Don't try to flush too much poop down all at once, and you should be fine.
No insurance needed.

Good day!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Post-Roman?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message

"Modern day underground pipelines and drains properly
installed
are not likely to give trouble"

Underground pipelines have been in use for centuries.

Define "modern day".

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"DerbyDad03" wrote

They did however send a registered letter to my neighbor - not at my
request, but he was still ****ed at me - suggesting that he cut the
tree down because if it damaged my house they would go after his ins
co which could result in a rate increase for him. It would be "in his
best interest" to avoid the problem by cutting the tree down. Yeah,
like that'll work.

Screw him, protect yourself. You can legally cut the branches over your
property.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:10:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Post-Roman?

Right off hand I would call any PVC system "modern."
Don't know if municipalities/contractors are using PVC for feeder
lines from houses to main sewers.
But tile lines are prone to breakage and collapse, and the mortar
joints get infiltrated by tree roots.
I'm sure everything here underground is tile.
Inside, my house - circa 1959 - the sewer stack is cast iron, with
oakum stuffed/lead-filled joints.
Supply pipes are all galvanized steel.

Some of this is determined by code. When I was working as a plumber's
"assistant" in the early '80's PVC wasn't allowed in Chicago, for
sewer or supply.
Don't know what's changed.

If I ever redo my plumbing here I'm as likely to replace with
galvanized as copper, because I've worked with steel pipe all my life.
It's just stronger than copper, and no question about joints leaking.
But I might go with copper. Might depend on price.
Scale isn't a big issue here with Lake Michigan water.
So far I've got excellent flow.
I replaced all my galvanized in my last house when it got constricted.
That pipe was about 50 years old too.
Found the only serious scaling constriction in the piping from and
close to the water heater. The heat must encourage the minerals to
precipitate onto the pipe.

That water heater fed two families though, this one doesn't get as
much use.
I suspect constricted flow will show up on the hot water side, and
just replacing the outlet pipes there will fix it.
Depends on my energy level at the time.

Anyway, whenever I see PVC in a sewer system, that's "modern" to me.
I hear they use rubber boots with stainless steel band clamps to
connect cast iron stack pipe now, instead of oakum and lead.
Probably wouldn't call that "modern." Just an "advancement."

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 10:42*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"DerbyDad03" wrote

They did however send a registered letter to my neighbor - not at my
request, but he was still ****ed at me - suggesting that he cut the
tree down because if it damaged my house they would go after his ins
co which could result in a rate increase for him. It would be "in his
best interest" to avoid the problem by cutting the tree down. Yeah,
like that'll work.

Screw him, protect yourself. You can legally cut the branches over your
property.

I know what I can legally do, but I'll repeat what I said about
cutting the branches over my house:

"It's a huge expense because you can't get a bucket near what needs to
be trimmed so it would all have to be done from within the tree, tied
off from above, etc."

Not only would it cost me much more than I care to spend, but it would
all have to be done from within *his* tree, subjecting me to possibly
even more expense if his tree gets damaged.

Yes, I also know all about using a fully insured contractor, etc. but
it's just not something I want to pay for or get involved with. I know
what damage will be done if a branch comes down and I willing to have
my ins co pay for it. For what it would cost me to have the tree
trimmed, I can probably raise the roof on that section of the house
during the repair. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 10:58*am, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

That was in line with my thinking too. A lot depends on if it's 50
year old lines
or 4 year old ones. And if there are large trees nearby, sidewalks
or driveways
that have to be dealt with, etc. You also need to carefully read
the policy and
see what it covers, limits, etc. If it's relatively new lines, short
and an easy replacement
path, no way I'd buy the policy. But if it were 300ft of 50 year
old lines, with sidewalk, etc
and all that was covered, then I would buy it.