Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storm water and sewer

Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Probably not officially, but I did!

A lot depends on whether or not the conservatory is subject to building
regs. If not, there's no BCO involved to tell you which gully to put the
downpipe into!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Almost certainly not in about 95% of areas.

It used to be done a lot, but its being phased out..rainwater is good
water. Shut infested sewage is not. Since we have very stringent
requirements in how we treat sewage in every sense of the word, mixing a
load of runoff water with it is deprecated.

rainwater needs to got to a soakaway, or to a proper storm drain system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Probably not officially, but I did!

A lot depends on whether or not the conservatory is subject to building
regs. If not, there's no BCO involved to tell you which gully to put the
downpipe into!

Tsk Tsk!

Orfully norty wot?

I wouldn't cos I have my own **** digester, and it would overflow it..

The pond takes most of teh gutter water..its practically overflowing
right now.

Natural ponds make great soakaways. You can keep fish in them too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Convenience doesn't come into it. Your BCO will no way let you do this
IF you have a storm drain available.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

Almost certainly not in about 95% of areas.
It used to be done a lot, but its being phased out..rainwater is good
water....

Do I infer correctly from this that 'they' route storm drain water
(gulleys they call them here) into reservoirs? Don't tell me they're
doing something right?

I'm sure that on our estate (1960s) our rain drains join the sewer
drains, at each house. Do they build them differently now?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm
drains

Convenience doesn't come into it. Your BCO will no way let you do this
IF you have a storm drain available.

Jon.

His BCO doesn't know about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm
drains

Almost certainly not in about 95% of areas.
It used to be done a lot, but its being phased out..rainwater is good
water....

Do I infer correctly from this that 'they' route storm drain water
(gulleys they call them here) into reservoirs? Don't tell me they're
doing something right?

I'm sure that on our estate (1960s) our rain drains join the sewer
drains, at each house. Do they build them differently now?

John

They've been building them split this way for about 25-35 yrs, depending on
where you live, certainly almost all houses older than 35-40 years old have
one drain that takes away everything in one pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm drains

If the house is older than 35-40 yrs, then yes, they all join up underground
anyway, newer houses have seperate rainwater and foulwater drains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm
drains

If the house is older than 35-40 yrs, then yes, they all join up
underground anyway, newer houses have seperate rainwater and
foulwater drains.

Our house was built in 1907 and has a separate sewer system. For these sorts
of systems built at the time, it was normal for the front (w.r.t. the road)
guttering from your roof to go into the separate system, however I guess due
to cost implications the rear guttering was still normally routed into the
foul.
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jonathan Pearson" writes:
Phil L wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Is it allowable to drain the rainwater from my conservatory into the
main sewer, as this is more conveniently located than the storm
drains

If the house is older than 35-40 yrs, then yes, they all join up
underground anyway, newer houses have seperate rainwater and
foulwater drains.

Our house was built in 1907 and has a separate sewer system. For these sorts
of systems built at the time, it was normal for the front (w.r.t. the road)
guttering from your roof to go into the separate system, however I guess due
to cost implications the rear guttering was still normally routed into the
foul.

It has almost nothing to do with the age of the house, but
is related to the age and density of the area as a whole.
In older dense urban areas, you are likely to have a single
victorian sewer system designed for both surface and foul
water. In less dense areas where there was space for separate
surface and foul drainage, or areas with newer infrastructure,
you'll find them separate. Two home counties residential areas
I know which were layed out in 1875 and 1895 both have separate
systems, whereas as area in London layed out in 1875 has a
single system, and a row of 5 year old houses also have all
their surface and foul combined into it. (With no space for
soakaways and no other infrastrure provided, there isn't
much choice.)

To the OP: you will have to ask your sewage company if they will
allow rainwater drainage into the sewer system. A friend did this
recently for an extension where it would have been difficult to
route the guttering to a soakaway (extension was on top of old
soakaway), and much to my surprise, the sewage company were fine
with this. They needed to know the horizontal surface area which
would drain into the sewer, in order to ensure it had adequate
capacity without risk of the sewer flooding in a downpour.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that

experience with adding yard drainage basin, 150' run to storm sewer tie in? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 03:43 AM
Lost water after ice storm helpmehelpme Home Repair 3 December 3rd 06 04:54 PM
There was a storm brewing.. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 5 March 29th 06 08:29 AM
Storm door Paul Home Repair 4 October 14th 04 01:41 AM
Storm water inspection chamber? Tony Halmarack UK diy 2 August 3rd 04 02:20 PM