Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lost water after ice storm

We had an ice storm, and lost our electric for about 10 hours.{luckily)
Some will be out for several days. My problem is when electric came back
on, we had water for a few hours, but then nothing. I have a crawl space
under house, went under to check around, thought maybe broken pipe or
something. All was dry. But found a fuse box with cartridge fuses. Took
them out and had them cheched at hardware store. 1 was good the other bad
so bought 2 new ones and replaced. Now a low buzzing comes from box, lasts
for about 5 seconds and stops. Does it about every minute or two.
Thanks for your help
Posted to alt.home.repair

helpmehelpme wrote:
We had an ice storm, and lost our electric for about 10
hours.{luckily) Some will be out for several days. My problem is when
electric came back on, we had water for a few hours, but then
nothing. I have a crawl space under house, went under to check
around, thought maybe broken pipe or something. All was dry. But
found a fuse box with cartridge fuses. Took them out and had them
cheched at hardware store. 1 was good the other bad so bought 2 new
ones and replaced. Now a low buzzing comes from box, lasts for about
5 seconds and stops. Does it about every
minute or two. Thanks for your help

I guess it would be good to know what those fuses operate. Do you have
water now? Are you on a well? Could you have a sump pump that the fuse
protected? Was it a 240V or 120V circuit?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

helpmehelpme wrote:
We had an ice storm, and lost our electric for about 10 hours.{luckily)
Some will be out for several days. My problem is when electric came back
on, we had water for a few hours, but then nothing. I have a crawl space
under house, went under to check around, thought maybe broken pipe or
something. All was dry. But found a fuse box with cartridge fuses. Took
them out and had them cheched at hardware store. 1 was good the other bad
so bought 2 new ones and replaced. Now a low buzzing comes from box, lasts
for about 5 seconds and stops. Does it about every minute or two.
Thanks for your help

Well, don't have much of anything to go on...what's the fuse box the
fuse for would be at least one useful piece of information. Are you on
municipal water or your own well? Is there a pressure pump?

Obviously if whatever is on the box blew a fuse, something caused it to
happen. But, nothing in what you've provided even connects the box to
the water supply -- it might be a sump pump that froze up and is trying
to start.

I'd suggest cutting the power at this point at this time until you
determine what it is to avoid possible damage to whatever it is and
continue your investigation into root causes. In such a case with such
massive power outages and all the associated problems, it's going to be
hard to get service people in a timely manner, but probably ought to
get on the list of someone -- who isn't for sure to tell you although
plumber/well service would probably be the first guess depending on
whether it is well or municipal water.

If it's still bitter cold, that it appears dry doesn't mean you still
aren't frozen nor that there isn't a break somewhere--that will show up
when it warms up (or you find the frozen place and thaw it out) if so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used to have that every year, only in the upstairs , but dependably
it would happen if the temperature dropped below 30 f. I cured it this
year by insulating all the pipes between the buried pipes and the
interior walls, best 4 hours we ever spent. I used commercial grade
rubber insulation. Those don't have the split to install like the DIY
stuff, but you can split it with a utility knife and lock it with
electrical ties. We just had a good storm, with lows in the teens, and
not a hick-up. We used to not have water in that part of the house till
the first above 40 day.