Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Sewer/Water Policy

I have a number of different residential properties -- a few that I own and
a few that the company where I work owns and that I oversee. I/We only have
the sewer/water policy on one of the properties.

The main reason that we got the policy on that property is that it is a very
old property and the sewer line runs out to the street right under a HUGE
old oak tree at the curb. In fact, I am surprised that we haven't had a
major problem before now. If they do have to replace the line, my guess is
that they will have to relocate it to bypass the tree and tie it into the
main at a different location. So, for that one property, it seems like it
is worthwhile to have the policy in place.

For the other properties there is no real obvious risk of damage, and access
to everything is fairly easy. So we decided not to pay for a policy on
those properties.

Another advantage of the policy that I do like is that they have a reduced
fee charge for routine drain cleaning if there is a sewer backup.
Apparently, if there is a backup, we call them and they send out a drain
cleaning service for a flat fee of $50, even if it is during off hours etc.
That's a lot less than it would cost for us to have to call someone out to
snake out the drain, and for $50 it's worth paying someone else rather than
for me to have to try to do it myself (which I have done in the past). We
have had several backups in the drain line in the past, mostly due to the
way it is pitched, and sometimes due to the tenant-ocuppants flushing paper
towels etc. down the toilet.

I am pretty sure that the policy does say that if they have to break out the
concrete sidewalk to fix the line, replacing that section of the sidewalk is
our responsibility. But that's not a big deal to replace a 4x4 section of
sidewalk.

Based on what you wrote about the neighbor's tree and the fact that you are
not able or would not want to do the repairs on your own, I think that it
may be worthwhile for you to just sign up for the plan and have one less
thing to worry about.

Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering
the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem
occurs.
I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for
20 years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if
I kept the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate