Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Sewer/Water Policy

On 12/27/2010 2:01 AM, Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the
sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

No

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem occurs.

We have been getting lots of those solicitations from the water company.
I can understand why because there is big money to be made selling
"insurance". First it was generalized marketing. Recent ones have
fluffed it up to scare folks. Now they have pictures of a backhoe
digging up a lawn and claims like "it just cost your neighbor in
"Smithville" $13,000 to repair their water line...

I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for 20
years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if I kept
the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kate