Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Sewer/Water Policy

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 27, 1:51 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:54 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering
the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home?

In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc.
damage up to my property line next to the street. But, if the line
breaks on my property, I am stuck with a huge bill if this problem
occurs.
I can get coverage at $95 a year. Even though I may not need it for
20 years (and hopefully never), I would still be money ahead even if
I kept the policy all of these years. Backhoes, etc. are not cheap.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Hmm. My son had his sewer line replaced, about 70' from the house to
the city main line.

His neighbor (a Guatemalan) dug up the old stuff (some kind of thin,
black, plastic) laid in the '60s. The original was replaced with
some new plastic pipe about 6" in diameter - I think it was green -
with 3/8" thick walls, then covered it all back up.

Total cost was $450.

I'm glad my son has made friends in the immigrant community - they
do good work and have many contacts who will do similar good work in
other specialties off the books.

May I ask how your son even knew exactly where his sewer line was?
Most owners don t have the slightest idea where the sewer line is or
how deep it is in order to dig to replace it. You can have a plumber
locate it for you but around here in California they charge $300.00
just to find it for you.

I'm not sure, but I think he has access to it as it leaves the house. I
presume the digging started there and just followed the (alleged) pipe
the sanitary main.- Hide quoted text -

Virtually every sewer connection I have seen in houses/buildings under
construction over the past 60+ years run straight out to the sewer
line in the street, or up the back property line where the sewers are
run in the back lot line. I have never seen one run diagonally out to
the street or back lot line, as that would require more digging and
more piping.

I'm glad you said "virtually every" as opposed to "every". Mine runs out
at an angle of about 30 degrees and is a long run to the sewer as I'm the
first house on that line and it is the shortest distance. My next door
neighbor a couple of hundred feet away is on another line going in the
opposite direction. He is also uphill from me and the highest point on
that line.

I had the same plumber as Ed.

Actually mine runs on an angle to allow for the under basement drain run.
My original tap was on the other side of the lot but some one screwed up the
mains installation and it was not deep enough.

Colbyt