Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting sewer & water want to keep well too.

Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter?
Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. It's a
submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. They allow
us to keep it for outdoor use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 7:40�am, "Patrick C" wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter?
Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. �It's a
submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. �They allow
us to keep it for outdoor use.

did it ever freeze before? like during a vacation or other non use
time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:48:33 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote Re Getting sewer & water
want to keep well too.:

Patrick C wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting
down. It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the
yard. They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it
doubles every 4 years.

Good points. Around here county water is $4/1000 gals. To get 1000
gals from my well costs about $0.08 which includes amortizing the $600
it costs me to replace the pump and pressure tank every 20 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Patrick C" wrote in message
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter?
Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. It's a
submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. They
allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I have a well and county water. A couple of years ago my well froze up on
me do to lack of use over the winter so I hooked it to the toilet that gets
the most use. Haven't had any trouble since with that problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Patrick C wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting
down. It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the
yard. They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it
doubles every 4 years.

Good points. Around here county water is $4/1000 gals. To get 1000
gals from my well costs about $0.08 which includes amortizing the $600
it costs me to replace the pump and pressure tank every 20 years.

This is acceptable only if the water is good, and in many areas here,
it's simply undrinkable, hence the value and safety of public water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick C wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting
down. *It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the
yard. *They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it
doubles every 4 years.

Good points. Around here county water is $4/1000 gals. To get 1000
gals from my well costs about $0.08 which includes amortizing the $600
it costs me to replace the pump and pressure tank every 20 years.

Actually, in many cases, it's a moot point, because you can't "refuse"
public water and sewer. Many times when they run new sewers or
public water down the street, you are required to hook up to it,
whether you like it or not.

As to the well freezing because it's not used, that seems very
unlikely. And if it could happen, then something is very wrong with
the well plumbing to begin with. What would happen before, if you
went away for a week's vacation in Winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Patrick C wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting
down. It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the
yard. They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it
doubles every 4 years. In My old town they started charging for the
rain! Run off from your property into the storm drains will cost you.
They run it all through the treatment process now. They can kiss my
butt. I have my own water and sewer and always will even if I have to
move again.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

I don't think they will give me the option of not hooking up eventually.
And the longer we wait the more expensive it will be. It must cost to pump
the water and there's the cost of the salt for the softener which is a pain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sep 1, 7:40�am, "Patrick C" wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter?
Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. �It's a
submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. �They
allow
us to keep it for outdoor use.

did it ever freeze before? like during a vacation or other non use
time?

We went for a week or so and nothing happened, I don't remember how cold it
was. We're in northern Illinois.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick C wrote:
[...]

It never froze when we went for a week or so but don't remember how cold it
was. We live in northern Illinois.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .

"Patrick C" wrote in message
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down.
It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard.
They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I have a well and county water. A couple of years ago my well froze up on
me do to lack of use over the winter so I hooked it to the toilet that
gets the most use. Haven't had any trouble since with that problem.

Good idea but my well has a little iron and it would stain the toilet if I
didn't leave the softener hooked up which I want to get rid of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Patrick C" wrote in message
Good idea but my well has a little iron and it would stain the toilet if I
didn't leave the softener hooked up which I want to get rid of.

yea , mine too, I just live with it in order to keep the well working. May
have to replace the toilet if I ever sell the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 7:40 am, "Patrick C" wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter?
Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. It's a
submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. They allow
us to keep it for outdoor use.

It's a submersible pump with a 6" pipe sticking out of the ground? If
so then the water pipes should be below the freeze line. It'll be
fine.

Personally, I'd have it properly filled in and abandoned. I'm so
tired of well and septic that I'd pay anything for public utilities.

City water/swer, but home sewer pipe extremely high CompleteNewb Home Repair 5 January 31st 08 09:52 PM
Water and sewer bills dependent on water supply pipe diameter Bud H Home Repair 14 December 15th 07 05:04 AM
Storm water and sewer Lawrence Zarb UK diy 11 January 22nd 07 04:54 PM
PVC Sewer vs DWV kstar Home Repair 10 September 24th 06 08:12 PM
Sewer [email protected] UK diy 2 September 10th 04 02:30 PM