Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wives don't understand home repair.

Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion I
need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I need
to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt

Never complain, never explain.

What are you doing today?
Nothing, and you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 7:43*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

m...

Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt

Never complain, never explain.

What are you doing today?
Nothing, and you?

Steve- Hide quoted text -

did the OP make the needed 3 trips to the store for a variety of minor
but critically need supplies
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 7:43 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt

Never complain, never explain.

What are you doing today?
Nothing, and you?

Genius!

Women think differently than men. It is much better that they both just
operate on their own systems and not try to get the other to change
over. So, nothing....

I've had two instances recently where a woman gave up on a task that
took me less than a second to complete. No explaining that! Not without
no end of expaining and no satisfactory end result.

Jeff

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

On 12/22/2010 7:43 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
m...
[...]

Found this over in a diabetes group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezVib_giTFo

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

I built a house. I'd take my wife there daily or every other day to see the
progress. What I was seeking was her approval. During the framing process,
she could grasp nothing except that the workmen had left their lunch
sandwich wrappers and Coke cans on the floor. She did not notice that they
had framed several walls, or put the trusses on, etc. It got worse, with
her picking apart every minute detail, every scarred stud, every hanging
wire that was awaiting a receptacle. I finally just had to bring her once a
week, or at the end of a stage of construction where she could see a final
result, i.e. after the drywall was up, after the painting was done, after
the cabinets were hung, etc.

When we explain or even describe what we are doing, it's just a search for
approval, and that's not going to happen because most women don't understand
that it really does take seven hours to put in a little insulation when you
run into things that you never expected before you popped the first bit of
sheetrock off. So stop seeking it, and bring them in when the job is done
enough so she can see definite progress, or that stage is covered up, and
there's just some sort of finished work to cover the internal exposed parts.

And don't turn it over to her until you say so, or she'll have the pots in
the cabinets before you even have the range/stove/oven installed.

AND tell her not to talk to the hired help. That's your job.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 9:35*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Balls.

Sorry, I mean, "It depends on the wife".

Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Because I don't understand all the details, I sometimes
get a little panicky when things don't look as I expect,
but sometimes when I say "Hey, that doesn't look quite
right", he says "It isn't. Thanks for pointing that out."
More often he says, "It's right; just wait until
the next bit is done. Here's how they'll fit together..."

He wants to put in a pulldown attic stair and estimated
one hard weekend for the installation and another, easier
one for the paint and trim. I said, "Nothing in this house
ever goes to plan; let's count on four weekends."
If I'm wrong, we get a weekend or two off.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours
because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic
portion I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate
the fan assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim
the plaster, I need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the
mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

in my house, it's always a factor of 3: cost, time, number of trips to the
hardware store, or all of the above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

I've been biting my tongue...

Show me a statement like "Wives don't understand..." and I'll show you
someone who has a sexist, one-dimensional view of the world. Are there
women who don't understand traditional male roles like construction?
Sure. Are there men who prolong adolescence well into retirement?
Sure. Stereotypes always have at least some small element of truth.
But those who focus on the stereotypes miss most of the real world.

In my experience, narrow, uni-dimensional people do not pair up with
enlightened, multi-dimensional people. I'm quite sure that men who
complain about their airhead wives are more or less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum. Conversely, women
who complain about their immature husbands, are more ur less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum.

These people find each other for a reason. The more enlightened people
won't have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heather Mills wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Such statements are not sexist, they are generalizations that are
accurate for 90%+ of the population.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:37:06 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Yes, they are.

they are generalizations that are
accurate for 90%+ of the population.

No, they are not. Perhaps 90% of the population with which you
associate, but, as I said, people self select.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 8:25 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 12/22/2010 7:43 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
m...
[...]

No, not quite ) Hubby and I WOULD do things the same way IF I were as
strong as he and IF he cleaned up the mess I made ) I can do a lot of
stuff around the house, but have to "engineer" it a lot more because he
was much stronger than I. And more patient. He fiddled around trying
to solder a new outside faucet for FOUR HOURS, but couldn't get the
water out of the pipe. I would have offered help sooner, but really
wanted to see how dang long he would mess with it. He had the faucet
open of course, but I finally went out and opened one that was lower
than the one he worked on )

I've had two instances recently where a woman gave up on a task that
took me less than a second to complete. No explaining that! Not without
no end of expaining and no satisfactory end result.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 1:46*pm, "EXT" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

ster.com...

wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Nope, sorry. Saying that a woman's place is in the home is sexist,
saying that women generally don't understand construction is not.

they are generalizations that are
accurate for 90%+ of the population.

No, they are not. Perhaps 90% of the population with which you
associate, but, as I said, people self select.

You go get a pool of 1,000 randomly selected women and see how many in
that pool understand construction. When you find the answer is -zero-
expand your pool to 10,000 and perhaps you'll find one or two. Do the
same for any other common generalization and you will find similar
truth.

These days, you could randomly select 1,000 males and see how many
understand construction, you may find more than with women but you also may
find very few. The same with car repairs. Those who have never done
construction nor auto mechanics will have no concept of what it entails, no
matter their sex. Women often base their decisions on visual appeal -- *
e.g.. makeup, house decorating, color of a car, clothing while men often
ignore these things and look behind the facade. The problem with these
"often do's" is that it fails to apply to everyone, we are all a mix of
emotion, logic and reason and what we think applies to one may not apply to
another.

My wife understands construction because I taught her about it, now she
enjoys participating in all parts of it, even to mixing concrete and helping
in the pour, but now because she has health issues and little physical
strength, she will now work mainly on planning and support.

Good for you guys! ^L^

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 2:16*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 21, 9:18*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion I
need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I need
to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Her: What are you doing today?
Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic,
but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent
duct. To install the duct I need to...
Her: Nevermind...I'll see you when you're done.

or

Her: What are you doing today?
Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic,
but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent
duct. To install the duct I need to...
Her: Hold on...do you think you'll be done by 3?
Me: Don't know. Why?

...then we discuss what's going on and come to some sort of
compromise.

It's been working for 25+ years so no need to change it now.

And then there's:

"I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic"

He gets up there, discovers some stuff that he didn't realize
needed to be done, and is up there for most of the day on
a 30-minute project. That gets me hollering up the access
hatch, "Are you ok? Anything I can do to help? Do you
need a drink of water?"

That feature creep is especially common in an older
house. Ours is 62; not terribly old, but not a spring
chicken either. At least it's only had four owners
(including us).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

I would offer to open the door for you but I can tell that you are the type
who would be offended by that.

That would be the same type who does not recognize a joke when they see
because the chip on their shoulder is blocking their view of the world.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 21, 9:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

------- reply ---------------

After I came home I cooked her a nice comfort food dinner. I am a well
trained husband.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:09:56 -0800, Heather Mills
wrote:

In my experience, narrow, uni-dimensional people do not pair up with
enlightened, multi-dimensional people. I'm quite sure that men who
complain about their airhead wives are more or less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum. Conversely, women
who complain about their immature husbands, are more ur less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum.

These people find each other for a reason. The more enlightened people
won't have them.

If one spouse is a "uni" and one spouse is a "multi", can they take
medication for a remedy?

"Go change my flat tire, come back and make me a sandwich. Then sit on
my knee and tell me why you're leaving."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Got a boat? What color is it? You clean fish? G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 10:26*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Dec 22, 9:35*am, "Steve B" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

So how come you're not cleaning his shop for him?

That might save you a few trips to the store. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 9:58*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:26*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35*am, "Steve B" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic..

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

I do help him clean, but I tend to put things away in
the wrong drawers. My latest was putting a
self-centering drill bit in the drawer with the taps.
Luckily, I was on hand when he needed the bit.

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas. In fact, he's probably pulling wire
right now.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 4:52*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Heather Mills" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Or, because Usenet is lousy at transmitting subtext and
body language.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. *I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. *Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Got a boat? What color is it? You clean fish? G

No boat. Never cleaned fish, except for gutting smelt
with a pair of scissors. I'm currently spoken for,
but I can add you to the waiting list. Some guy on
rec.food.cooking also made an offer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 6:18*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion I
need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. *To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. *Before I can trim the plaster, I need
to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. *I knew what I had to do!

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

That's Patrick F. McManus's "law of sequences" where he proves you
can't get anything done and should go fishing instead.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

Women don't understand that when it comes to carrying heavy ****, and doing
repetitive hard things, that they mostly just can't do it. If they COULD,
you would have already seen them all over construction sites, on drill
floors, and iron working. They may understand it better than men, so much
so that they can tell men exactly how it SHOULD be done, but leave them
alone to do it, and it will end up not finished because they ...........
whine, snivel, snork ........ just can't hoist up a piece of drywall and
nail it to the ceiling, or carry that 4 x 12 x 15' up the ladder and to the
peak, or unload three tons of bagged concrete USING ONE PERSON. When they
do that, they are equal. In the meantime, they're good for the limited
things they are good for, and then, failing miserably at those or performing
marginally.

"No try. Do or not do." - Yoda -

HTH, but I doubt it. Now, go unload that pickup truck with 4,800# of tile
in it by yourself, and buy a vowel.

Get a clue!

Sheesh.

And get out of the ****ing way and go get busy baking cookies, or here's
$20, go get your nails done.

And FYI, I'd rather be teamed up with the female you deride. The one who is
not into multi-tasking. The less than multi-dimensional one. The one who
does not consider herself an illuminati, and the rest of the world,
particularly men, dull bulbs. What, exactly, is the word for the women's
equivalent of misogynist? That is a woman who hates men. No, not a
lesbian. Give me a Sarah Palin type any day. One who will go sleep on the
ground in a tent, be silently cold, who will shoot and gut a moose, yet be
kind and tender at the right moments, and not gushing estrogen and
platitudes or corrections to other people about things that she, personally,
cannot do. And so what if she's good at sex. That would make her just
about perfect.

Ah, Christmas is coming. One can hope.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In my experience, narrow, uni-dimensional people do not pair up with
enlightened, multi-dimensional people. I'm quite sure that men who
complain about their airhead wives are more or less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum. Conversely, women
who complain about their immature husbands, are more ur less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum.

These people find each other for a reason. The more enlightened
people
won't have them.

If one spouse is a "uni" and one spouse is a "multi", can they take
medication for a remedy?

"Go change my flat tire, come back and make me a sandwich. Then sit on
my knee and tell me why you're leaving."

Oren, are you single?

Steve wink

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Got a boat? What color is it? You clean fish? G

Please be sure to post picture of boat.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas. In fact, he's probably pulling wire
right now.

Cindy Hamilton

Do you have any sisters?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

So how come you're not cleaning his shop for him?

I do help him clean, but I tend to put things away in
the wrong drawers. My latest was putting a
self-centering drill bit in the drawer with the taps.
Luckily, I was on hand when he needed the bit.

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas. In fact, he's probably pulling wire
right now.

Cindy Hamilton

We lived in a condo with no garage, so hubby's lifetime collection of
tools had to find a place....under the bed was for his collection of
computer parts...so he got the front closet, part of the master b.r.
closet, part of the laundry room, back seat of his car, trunk of my car,
and other creative storage spots. He usually left tools laying around
when finished with them, so I put them away (eventually). His drill
bits or screw driver heads could be anywhere, so I rounded those up as
well. Finally organized his tools..huge wrenches and pry bars in the
wicker chest in liv. rm., etc. He got rather bothered by that, which I
expected, but whenever HE couldn't find his stuff, I could ) I hid my
tools under bed in guest room...never to be touched by anyone )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 3:09*pm, Heather Mills wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:05:38 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

You go get a pool of 1,000 randomly selected women and see how many in
that pool understand construction. When you find the answer is -zero-
expand your pool to 10,000 and perhaps you'll find one or two. Do the
same for any other common generalization and you will find similar
truth.

Perhaps, but the number of males who "understand construction" (as
opposed to say they do) would also be very low.

If there is a difference, I think males know less, because so much, or
most, or all of what they think they know about "construction" is
wrong.

Women seem to not be so adverse to uttering the phrase "I don't know".
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 22, 10:46*am, Heather Mills wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:
On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

I realize this is completely anecdotal and a sample size of one, but I
have come to realize that my ex absorbed pretty much none of the
things that I tried to teach her about home repair/maintenance while
we were together. So *some* females just don't have the right mindset
(although they may be quite capable in other fields.)

On the flip side, I can think of several female EC PM's that I have
worked with and other than voice pitch and other physical differences
really didn't notice anything different from the male ones that I'm
used to.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 23, 11:29*am, "Steve B" wrote:

*Give me a Sarah Palin type any day. *

You can have her. I prefer my wimmins intelligent and articulate,
thanks. Preferably with a little mechanical aptitude and
outdoorsiness, but still.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. *I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. *Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Got a boat? What color is it? You clean fish? G

No boat. Never cleaned fish, except for gutting smelt
with a pair of scissors. I'm currently spoken for,
but I can add you to the waiting list. Some guy on
rec.food.cooking also made an offer.

Cindy Hamilton

I can't be on your list, sorry. My wife would disapprove.

Gucci hand bags, how thick is your wallet? G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2010 17:39:09 GMT, Earl wrote:

So how come you're not cleaning his shop for him?

He made the mess, he can clean it.

"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 11:29*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Heather Mills" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

And you know all about her - how?

From the articles and TV shows she's on? From her reality show on TLC?

This one?

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...urrentPage=all

Same:

http://tinyurl.com/SarahsShow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:29:23 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

I rest my case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:26:05 -0800 (PST), N8N wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29*am, "Steve B" wrote:

*Give me a Sarah Palin type any day. *

You can have her. I prefer my wimmins intelligent and articulate,
thanks. Preferably with a little mechanical aptitude and
outdoorsiness, but still.

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi is more your style.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:32:47 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

She's not in the Central time zone, either. My wife is getting me a Delta
18-900L drill press but she doesn't know it yet. ;-)