Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wives don't understand home repair.

On Dec 23, 10:07*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:32:47 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

She's not in the Central time zone, either. *My wife is getting me a Delta
18-900L drill press but she doesn't know it yet. *;-)

Jeez...I'm lucky if I get a replacement *belt* for my drill press. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:29:23 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
Wives don't understand home repair.

W: What are you doing today?
H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.

Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours
because:

To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic
portion
I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.

To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate
the
fan
assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the
plaster,
need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.

And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.

Geez. I knew what I had to do!

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather
than leaving her in the dark?

--
Colbyt

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

I built a house. I'd take my wife there daily or every other day to
see
the
progress. What I was seeking was her approval. During the framing
process,
she could grasp nothing except that the workmen had left their lunch
sandwich wrappers and Coke cans on the floor. She did not notice that
they
had framed several walls, or put the trusses on, etc. It got worse,
with
her picking apart every minute detail, every scarred stud, every
hanging
wire that was awaiting a receptacle. I finally just had to bring her
once a
week, or at the end of a stage of construction where she could see a
final
result, i.e. after the drywall was up, after the painting was done,
after
the cabinets were hung, etc.

When we explain or even describe what we are doing, it's just a search
for
approval, and that's not going to happen because most women don't
understand
that it really does take seven hours to put in a little insulation
when
you
run into things that you never expected before you popped the first
bit
of
sheetrock off. So stop seeking it, and bring them in when the job is
done
enough so she can see definite progress, or that stage is covered up,
and
there's just some sort of finished work to cover the internal exposed
parts.

And don't turn it over to her until you say so, or she'll have the
pots
in
the cabinets before you even have the range/stove/oven installed.

AND tell her not to talk to the hired help. That's your job.

HTH

Steve

Balls.

Sorry, I mean, "It depends on the wife".

Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and
my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there
with him on every project. I've got pictures of me working
concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter
saw. Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself,
so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something
he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it),
run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find
in the mess that's his shop, etc.

Because I don't understand all the details, I sometimes
get a little panicky when things don't look as I expect,
but sometimes when I say "Hey, that doesn't look quite
right", he says "It isn't. Thanks for pointing that out."
More often he says, "It's right; just wait until
the next bit is done. Here's how they'll fit together..."

He wants to put in a pulldown attic stair and estimated
one hard weekend for the installation and another, easier
one for the paint and trim. I said, "Nothing in this house
ever goes to plan; let's count on four weekends."
If I'm wrong, we get a weekend or two off.

Cindy Hamilton

I've been biting my tongue...

Show me a statement like "Wives don't understand..." and I'll show you
someone who has a sexist, one-dimensional view of the world. Are there
women who don't understand traditional male roles like construction?
Sure. Are there men who prolong adolescence well into retirement?
Sure. Stereotypes always have at least some small element of truth.
But those who focus on the stereotypes miss most of the real world.

In my experience, narrow, uni-dimensional people do not pair up with
enlightened, multi-dimensional people. I'm quite sure that men who
complain about their airhead wives are more or less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum. Conversely, women
who complain about their immature husbands, are more ur less equally
uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum.

These people find each other for a reason. The more enlightened people
won't have them.

Women don't understand that when it comes to carrying heavy ****, and
doing
repetitive hard things, that they mostly just can't do it. If they COULD,
you would have already seen them all over construction sites, on drill
floors, and iron working. They may understand it better than men, so much
so that they can tell men exactly how it SHOULD be done, but leave them
alone to do it, and it will end up not finished because they ...........
whine, snivel, snork ........ just can't hoist up a piece of drywall and
nail it to the ceiling, or carry that 4 x 12 x 15' up the ladder and to
the
peak, or unload three tons of bagged concrete USING ONE PERSON. When they
do that, they are equal. In the meantime, they're good for the limited
things they are good for, and then, failing miserably at those or
performing
marginally.

"No try. Do or not do." - Yoda -

HTH, but I doubt it. Now, go unload that pickup truck with 4,800# of tile
in it by yourself, and buy a vowel.

Get a clue!

Sheesh.

And get out of the ****ing way and go get busy baking cookies, or here's
$20, go get your nails done.

And FYI, I'd rather be teamed up with the female you deride. The one who
is
not into multi-tasking. The less than multi-dimensional one. The one who
does not consider herself an illuminati, and the rest of the world,
particularly men, dull bulbs. What, exactly, is the word for the women's
equivalent of misogynist? That is a woman who hates men. No, not a
lesbian. Give me a Sarah Palin type any day. One who will go sleep on
the
ground in a tent, be silently cold, who will shoot and gut a moose, yet be
kind and tender at the right moments, and not gushing estrogen and
platitudes or corrections to other people about things that she,
personally,
cannot do. And so what if she's good at sex. That would make her just
about perfect.

I rest my case.

Good. Now go take your wife out to dinner.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 23, 10:07 pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:32:47 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

She's not in the Central time zone, either. My wife is getting me a Delta
18-900L drill press but she doesn't know it yet. ;-)

Jeez...I'm lucky if I get a replacement *belt* for my drill press. ;-)

You got a DRILL PRESS? I had some sort of a hamster device, but the
hamsters died one day while cutting some stainless steel. Some people are
just lucky.

Steve ............

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Heather Mills" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Dec 22, 9:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From my experiences, women just want to see results.

[...]

The Defense Never Rests -- F. Lee Bailey
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:38:39 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

I've had two instances recently where a woman gave up on a task
that took me less than a second to complete. No explaining that! Not
without no end of expaining and no satisfactory end result.

Read a map?

Men are much better at spatial relationships. For a couple of million years,
the hunters who could more accurately judge the flight of a spear brought
home more food, thereby ensuring the survival of his offspring and,
perforce, passing the gene on.

Yup. My wife has absolutely zero spatial aptitude. If two roads don't cross
she asks if one can take the second to get to the other side of the first.
When we moved to a large(er) city for a contracting job (Akron, OH) I got her
a GPS because I knew she'd be perpetually lost otherwise.

Map reading is one residual of that gene. A male usually rotates the map in
his head; most women have an easier time rotating the map itself.

That doesn't even help. She just can't "get" the relationship between the map
and reality. The "box" tells her, "turn right in 2 miles" and if it's wrong
(not unusual) she's toast. I gave up on her navigation 40 years ago.

[Conversely, women, who had no evolutionary advantage for a spatial
relationship gene, didn't select for that trait. They had another. Females
were the "gatherers" in the society. The female who "enjoyed" gathering, and
did it better than her contemporaries, stood a better chance of her children
surviving (on nuts and berries) when the men-folk staggered back home
empty-handed and smelling of beer. This gene has NOT fallen away and
explains why women enjoy shopping!]

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:45:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 23, 10:07*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:32:47 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

She's not in the Central time zone, either. *My wife is getting me a Delta
18-900L drill press but she doesn't know it yet. *;-)

Jeez...I'm lucky if I get a replacement *belt* for my drill press. ;-)

What, does it keep falling down? I hate it when that happens! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 4:55*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/23/2010 10:02 PM, wrote:

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:26:05 -0800 (PST), *wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve *wrote:

* Give me a Sarah Palin type any day.

You can have her. *I prefer my wimmins intelligent and articulate,
thanks. *Preferably with a little mechanical aptitude and
outdoorsiness, but still.

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi is more your style.

Nope, that wasn't a *political* statement. Palin's idiocy, illiteracy,
and ignorance just grates on me however.

nate

Take away her looks and she would be instantly exposed for the empty-
headed bubble brain she is. That she thinks she has a hope in hell of
ever being president only shows her moronicity (see I can make up
words too, can I be president?)

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

Take away her looks and she would be instantly exposed for the empty-
headed bubble brain she is.

What the hell have you been smoking or drinking? Looks?

She isn't butt**** ugly but I would not chase it in a bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 05:22 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Harry wrote in message

Take away her looks and she would be instantly exposed for the empty-
headed bubble brain she is.

What the hell have you been smoking or drinking? Looks?

She isn't butt**** ugly but I would not chase it in a bar.

Agree, but her looks are the best thing she's got going for her.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, I don't. In fact, *politically* I may have more in common with her
than you think. She's just a mouthbreathing idiot, and I find that
grating at best.

nate

I ........ uh .......er .......... find ........ aaaa .......... errrrr
............. Mr. .................. uh ......... err ........... Obama
.......................... um .............. to ........... ah ..............
er ........... ummmmmm .................. be ............. ah ........ um
.................... err ................ ....................
......................... ................... ....................... way
................ ah ................ um ............ er
.....................more .............. ah .......... err
............................ um ............................................
ah ................. ..................... .................
...................... .............. grating.
..................................... er ......... um ................. un
...........................uh ............................dribble
......................... slobber ................... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 08:35 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 19:13:07 -0500, Nate wrote:

On 12/25/2010 06:56 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 09:47:48 -0500, Nate wrote:

On 12/24/2010 12:25 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:55:22 -0500, Nate wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

Give me a Sarah Palin type any day.

You can have her. I prefer my wimmins intelligent and articulate,
thanks. Preferably with a little mechanical aptitude and
outdoorsiness, but still.

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi is more your style.

Nope, that wasn't a *political* statement. Palin's idiocy, illiteracy,
and ignorance just grates on me however.

Liar. It *was* a political statement (as was mine).

I realize that you may find this hard to believe, but it really wasn't a
political statement. I just can't stand her. Listening to her speak is
like being forced to listen to Justin Bieber on endless repeat. How
anyone could find that admirable escapes me.

Because, politically, you hate what (you think) she stands for. That *is* a
political statement.

No, I don't. In fact, *politically* I may have more in common with her
than you think. She's just a mouthbreathing idiot, and I find that
grating at best.

Then you're just clueless.

You're going to argue that she's actually intelligent and articulate
then? I don't think in that case that we have anything more to discuss,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
Map reading is one residual of that gene. A male usually rotates the
map in his head; most women have an easier time rotating the map
itself.

[Conversely, women, who had no evolutionary advantage for a spatial
relationship gene, didn't select for that trait. They had another.
Females were the "gatherers" in the society. The female who
"enjoyed" gathering, and did it better than her contemporaries,
stood a better chance of her children surviving (on nuts and
berries) when the men-folk staggered back home empty-handed and
smelling of beer. This gene has NOT fallen away and explains why
women enjoy shopping!]

Wow. What a total crock.

Could be. But for those who scoff at evolution and hold that the world was
created 4,800 years ago, I'll remind them it was MOSES (a male) who led the
Israelites to the promised land (admittedly after wandering around in the
wrong direction for 40 years), not his wife Zipporah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry wrote in message

Take away her looks and she would be instantly exposed for the
empty- headed bubble brain she is.

What the hell have you been smoking or drinking? Looks?

She isn't butt**** ugly but I would not chase it in a bar.

Agree, but her looks are the best thing she's got going for her.

I agree. She's a stunner for a woman who's 70 (born March 26, 1940).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 09:19:22 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

h wrote:
[...]

He didn't stop for gas and ask directions, like she told him to. I'm sure he
didn't get any for at least 39 of those years. ...might also explain the
burning bush thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

I certainly don't think she's unusually stupid or inarticulate. She doesn't
need a TelePrompTer to give a speech. She does have a message that is rather
important right now. No, she's not my fav and I would hope for better as a
candidate. There are certainly a *LOT* worse. Picking on her is stupid,
though the left will characterize anyone on the right as stupid and the left
as the second coming. It's a meter showing just how afraid the left is of any
particular candidate.

The fact that you have political commonality with her and still fall into the
leftist's trap shoes how clueless you are.

I don't think in that case that we have anything more to discuss,

Perhaps not. You can killfile me any time you want. Need help running away?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 20:09:41 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

A *perfect* Obama quote, sans TelePrompTer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 12:24 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:30:22 -0500, Nate wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

Are we talking about the same person? Stupid might be debatable (some
intelligent people do not know how to speak well,) but inarticulate is
definitely not.

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker, I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

Different definitions, I suppose. Hardly a reason for such bile on the left.

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker,

The point is to get across an idea. Being a professor of English isn't a job
requirement.

I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

Gratuitous ad hominem noted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 01:40 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:02:13 -0500, Nate wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

dude, don't you get it? I'm not a leftist. I'm an intellectual snob.
I'd vote for Goldwater today were he alive and running for office. I
still have nothing but contempt and pity for Palin and those who support
her.

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker,

The point is to get across an idea. Being a professor of English isn't a job
requirement.

Having a working knowledge of the English language is, however.

I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

Gratuitous ad hominem noted.

Not ad hominem at all. Only someone without a working knowledge of
English beyond a second-grade level could *not* notice Palin's glaring
deficiencies.

It's embarrassing to me that my own countrymen are so intellectually
devoid that people have actually taken her seriously. She's a ****ing
caricature, a SNL skit of a politician made real, and the sooner she
fades into obscurity the better, for all involved.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

Perhaps not, but you certainly let them do your thinking for you.

I'm an intellectual snob.

Game, set, and match.

I'd vote for Goldwater today were he alive and running for office. I
still have nothing but contempt and pity for Palin and those who support
her.

Your leftism is as obvious as the nose on your face. Deny it all you want.

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker,

The point is to get across an idea. Being a professor of English isn't a job
requirement.

Having a working knowledge of the English language is, however.

Clueless. It's about communication.

I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

Gratuitous ad hominem noted.

Not ad hominem at all. Only someone without a working knowledge of
English beyond a second-grade level could *not* notice Palin's glaring
deficiencies.

What a liar.

It's embarrassing to me that my own countrymen are so intellectually
devoid that people have actually taken her seriously. She's a ****ing
caricature, a SNL skit of a politician made real, and the sooner she
fades into obscurity the better, for all involved.

Her ideas *are* serious. ...and we better do something about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 04:50 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:08:17 -0500, Nate wrote:

On Dec 23, 11:29 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

En anglais, s'il vous plait?

I'd vote for Goldwater today were he alive and running for office. I
still have nothing but contempt and pity for Palin and those who support
her.

Your leftism is as obvious as the nose on your face. Deny it all you want.

I do.

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker,

The point is to get across an idea. Being a professor of English isn't a job
requirement.

Having a working knowledge of the English language is, however.

Clueless. It's about communication.

Yes. She is unable to communicate in a coherent manner. Therefore she
fails.

I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

Gratuitous ad hominem noted.

Not ad hominem at all. Only someone without a working knowledge of
English beyond a second-grade level could *not* notice Palin's glaring
deficiencies.

What a liar.

Yes you are.

It's embarrassing to me that my own countrymen are so intellectually
devoid that people have actually taken her seriously. She's a ****ing
caricature, a SNL skit of a politician made real, and the sooner she
fades into obscurity the better, for all involved.

Her ideas *are* serious. ...and we better do something about it.

She has no ****ing ideas, you dimwit. As I said, she's a caricature of
a politician, and to be precise, she is a caricature of everything that
is WRONG with the Republican party. Please do us all a favor and never
vote again, as you clearly are not intelligent enough to make adult
decisions. I'm sick and tired of the country that I love being ruined
by jingoistic, flag-waving, bible-thumping "love it or leave it"
religious right tyrants on one side and by well-intentioned but naive
liberals who want to help everyone and save everyone from themselves
with no thought as to where all the resources for their misguided
policies are going to come from on the other.

Unfortunately, Palin falls squarely into the first camp that I describe
above, and she's an idiot besides. What this country needs is fiscal
conservatism, state's rights, and personal freedoms with NONE of this
religious bull**** or being in bed with big business interests.
Preferably someone who I'd trust to have dinner with a foreign head of
state without making too many embarrassing gaffes. Palin fails on all
counts, and at least Obama can handle the last without tripping on his
own tongue, even if he is a liberal.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

h wrote:
[...]

No he spent way too much time burning the bush and not enough time
navigating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker, I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

nate

Could you define "public speaker"? Does reading from a teleprompter, and
not being able to speak intelligently if that fails constitute a good
"public speaker"?

Just wondering what type of measuring device you're using there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 21:35:48 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

If you think that she is even *competent* as a public speaker, I'm going
to assume that you didn't do particularly well in English?

nate

Could you define "public speaker"? Does reading from a teleprompter, and
not being able to speak intelligently if that fails constitute a good
"public speaker"?

Just wondering what type of measuring device you're using there.

One that measures from the left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23 2010, 10:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

Dual birthday-Christmas present. I'm not made of money,
after all.

He had a nice week off between Christmas and New Years
puttering around the shop. (When he wasn't making
multiple repairs to garage doors. It's really not fair
that his opener should fail just days after my spring
broke. Stupid plastic gear.)

Cindy
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Lately, he's been rearranging the shop so he can
hook up the Grizzly band saw I got him for
Christmas.

You must be in a different time zone. It's only 23 Dec. in California.

Dual birthday-Christmas present. *I'm not made of money,
after all.

He had a nice week off between Christmas and New Years
puttering around the shop. *(When he wasn't making
multiple repairs to garage doors. *It's really not fair
that his opener should fail just days after my spring
broke. *Stupid plastic gear.)

Cindy

Up here near Spokane, Wa we have been under an Arctic high, temps down
near zero with highs only mid teens for over a week. Garage door
failed right off when I was clearing a snow drift. Had to disconnect
the opener. It would only start to close then reverse. Got a break
in the weather yesterday and checked it out.
Cleaned sensors, check this check that.

Discoverd that it worked just fine as long as kept my boot out of the
sensor path.

Doesn't take much to keep this senior citizen amused

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Has the temp risen since the failure?

If my GDO (no sensors) is right on the edge of the down or up force
required for "decent" weather, it will sometimes balk (in one or the
other direction) when it gets cold. Things stiffen up a bit and the U/
D force settings sense an obstruction and do their thing.

I set mine a little stronger in the winter and then lighten them up in
the spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Discoverd that it worked just fine as long as kept my boot out of the
sensor path.

Doesn't take much to keep this senior citizen amused

I assume since you're posting a problem's description, you're seeking a
solution?

I mounted my sensors on the motor unit, on the ceiling, pointing at each
other. No further problems with alignment, dirt, obstructions, etc. Works
swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 2:38*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Discoverd that it worked just fine as long as kept my boot out of the
sensor path.

Doesn't take much to keep this senior citizen amused

I assume since you're posting a problem's description, you're seeking a
solution?

I mounted my sensors on the motor unit, on the ceiling, pointing at each
other. No further problems with alignment, dirt, obstructions, etc. Works
swell.

Great minds think alike. DH mounted the sensors on my side
that way (garage came with two doors and one opener, so he
installed one on my side). If/when he replaces the
opener on his side, I imagine he'll do the same.

Meanwhile, if I get my boot in the way of "his" sensor, the light
on the opener flashes to tell me I've been clumsy.

I figure when I'm too old to get out of the way of the door,
I'll be too old to drive, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

the spring.- Hide quoted text -

Temps been hovering in the same region all the time. When the door
first refused I was cleaning a snowdrift away. Then when I found the
"problem", thought back, yep, boot in the beam.

I have a problem with mine every winter, have to ease off the tension
so it doesn't quite hit the stop. Probably a case of frost heave
(very old garage with cracked up concrete slab).

Harry K