Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IKEA Kitchen Cabinets

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 6:19 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Pretty good, based on personal experience.

More specifically, I'd put Ikea cabinets in the upper ranks of
knock-down furniture. Not up there with custom-made real-wood cabinets,
of course, but much better than the usual crap one gets at other stores.
Hardware is high quality; cabinet components are well-made,
close-fitting, even if they're made of covered particle board. The
visible parts (doors, etc.) are real wood, nicely finished out of decent
stock. And there are a zillion variations possible. (If you're
interested in their stuff, it's worthwhile getting their catalog for
tables of available dimensions, finishes, etc.)

I've seen several kitchens made of Ikea stuff, and they all looked good.
As long as you're not counting on top-of-the-line custom cabinet
quality, they should suit you pretty well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had an IKEA desk and book cases for 15+ years. Also had a
number of their furniture items. Can not beat them for price and
quality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

-------------

Ikea uses non-standard sizes for their cabinets I do believe.

I wouldn't buy a kitchen from them but I've been told by one owner of them
they are more durable than they look, and the hardware like hinges are of
better quality ( I believe the hardware part).

Ikea sells a lot of knick knack and cleaver stuff for their cabinets but
they don't fit standard size cabinets. I hope Ikea doesn't sell Frigidaire
appliances though. They used to. Those appliances were bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

Somewhere between reasonable and firewood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 9:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

It's all euro style, of course. No face frames.

The IKEA stuff is made well but not out of expensive ingredients. It's
mostly laminate, but good quality laminate. A lot of it is very
interesting with all kinds of ingenious doors. The hardware is durable,
the designs are minimalist, and the construction is precise. From what
it is made, it should be junk, but it's not.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kitchen/10470/

I've bought a few things such as screw feet from them for my cabinets.
When I was buying a forstner bit to mount them at Highland Hardware the
sales clerk who was a woodworker said that he had IKEA furniture in his
house. He thought that well of it.

If you have never been in an IKEA, it is an experience. So large it
has a cafeteria. I've bought a bunch of stuff there. I'll probably buy
some kitchen lights there in the next day or two.

I've looked at a lot of kitchen cabinets lately, to see how they were
made. IKEA is different.

Jeff

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 9:48 PM, The Henchman wrote:
?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

-------------

Ikea uses non-standard sizes for their cabinets I do believe.

I wouldn't buy a kitchen from them but I've been told by one owner of
them they are more durable than they look, and the hardware like hinges
are of better quality ( I believe the hardware part).

Ikea sells a lot of knick knack and cleaver stuff for their cabinets but
they don't fit standard size cabinets. I hope Ikea doesn't sell
Frigidaire appliances though. They used to. Those appliances were bad.

Non North America standard. Remember where their design shop is. Their
desk drawers and accessories don't fit US office supplies, either.

Don't forget, in most of Europe, when people move, they take the kitchen
cabinets with them, along with the light fixtures. Different customs.
Knockdown cabinets make more sense over there.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 9:00 PM Jeff Thies spake thus:

If you have never been in an IKEA, it is an experience. So large it
has a cafeteria. I've bought a bunch of stuff there. I'll probably buy
some kitchen lights there in the next day or two.

The Swedish meatballs they serve are really good and very cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cc3b2b1$0$2444
:

On 10/23/2010 9:00 PM Jeff Thies spake thus:

If you have never been in an IKEA, it is an experience. So large it
has a cafeteria. I've bought a bunch of stuff there. I'll probably buy
some kitchen lights there in the next day or two.

The Swedish meatballs they serve are really good and very cheap.

Ikea is almost next doors, near the intersection of Rts 17 & 4 in Bergen
county, NJ. I have my own meatballs, but the gingerbread cookies are a
must for me. We have a fair amount of Ikea furniture. We love the Billy
bookcases, oak or beech. We put a lot of glass doors on them. Don't know
whether they are still available. We also have desks and cabinets for the
desks, but I think that style is not available anymore. We had a few
drawer cabinets that were less than optimal, especially the one that was
wide (almost 3 feet?? perhaps). Too flimsy

As David said, visiting one is an experience. Another Ikea is just about
next to Newark Airport ... smile

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 10:25*am, Han wrote:
[...]

The 5 closest IKEA stores to me are all between 250 and 275 miles
away.

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
The 5 closest IKEA stores to me are all between 250 and 275 miles

away.

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

Absolutely guaranteed to be a Malox moment. Great price for gas.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 12:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 24, 10:25 am, wrote:
David wrote in news:4cc3b2b1$0$2444
:

[...]

Well, don't do them all in one day!

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

I usually get the salmon and something lingon berry. My Sweedish
friend only gets the herring and has shown some disdain towards the
"Swedish" meatballs.

They are OK, breakfast is 99 cents.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 12:44*pm, Han wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0b052e8f-7c5b-4cd3-b471-
:

The 5 closest IKEA stores to me are all between 250 and 275 miles
away.

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

When we lived just east of Queens, we drove to Ikea in Elizabeth NJ a few
times. *Took probably almost as long as your 250 miles ... (I don't know
where you live)

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 12:44*pm, Han wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0b052e8f-7c5b-4cd3-b471-
:

The 5 closest IKEA stores to me are all between 250 and 275 miles
away.

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

When we lived just east of Queens, we drove to Ikea in Elizabeth NJ a few
times. *Took probably almost as long as your 250 miles ... (I don't know
where you live)

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

"Took probably almost as long as your 250 miles"

I grew up in Flushing, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

It's one of the main reasons I moved out of NYC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 05:03:04 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

Somewhere between reasonable and firewood.

Given that particle board doesn't burn well it's still about the best use for
the stuff (the plastic pieces likely will, anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 9:19*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen*
anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

They're fine. I'd have no qualms recommending them to someone, as
long as the someone wasn't expecting custom quality. As others have
said, their hardware is good. Their ledger strip hardware for hanging
wall cabinets is nice and strong and makes single handed installation
easy for even a noob. The drawers just snap together with no tools,
which makes you wonder about other knockdown drawers.

This web site is very good:
http://www.ikeafans.com/
The people on their have a lot of experience with the stuff and you'll
get a good idea of how their cabinets install and function.

The cafeteria food is a step up from your usual cafeteria, cheap, and
there seems to be a number of people who go there solely for the food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2010 5:04 PM RicodJour spake thus:

As others have said, their hardware is good. Their ledger strip
hardware for hanging wall cabinets is nice and strong and makes
single handed installation easy for even a noob.

Yep. I can testify to this, being such a noob. I've hung two sets of
Ikea cabinets using their "suspension rail". Just level and attach the
rail; attaching the cabinets is then super-easy. Once in place, you just
tighten two nuts inside the cabinet to secure it.

In the last installation the clients wanted me to install a couple of
book cabinets using the rail, but they had managed to lose some of the
hardware that was needed. We went to the local Ikea store (Emeryville),
where they gave us the missing hardware--and didn't charge us for it.

By the way, if anyone's interested in their kitchen cabinets, look for
the "Akurum" line in their catalog or online.