Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Ikea kitchen cabinets construction

Sorry to keep going on about Ikea kitchens but I've got another question
regarding how the cabinets are constructed. I know they have very little, if
any, clearance at the back of them but how is the back actually formed.

Is it simply hardboard nailed onto the back (much like flat pack furniture)
or does it fit in a rebate in the sides and base (like a drawer bottom) or
is the back a more solid piece that is held in place by corner blocks,
dowels etc

We are finally going to get to Ikea to look at the ranges tomorrow but I'm
trying to cover as much as possible before then as I'm bound to forget
whilst in store and I really don't want to have to go back again just to
look !

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
Sorry to keep going on about Ikea kitchens but I've got another
question regarding how the cabinets are constructed. I know they have
very little, if any, clearance at the back of them but how is the
back actually formed.

Is it simply hardboard nailed onto the back (much like flat pack
furniture) or does it fit in a rebate in the sides and base (like a
drawer bottom) or is the back a more solid piece that is held in
place by corner blocks, dowels etc

We are finally going to get to Ikea to look at the ranges tomorrow
but I'm trying to cover as much as possible before then as I'm bound
to forget whilst in store and I really don't want to have to go back
again just to look !

Thanks

Jim

Most if not all units have a recess to pass pipes ect behind.
The backs on all units are hardboard fitted into rebates at each end of the
unit.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Jim wrote:
Sorry to keep going on about Ikea kitchens but I've got another
question regarding how the cabinets are constructed. I know they have
very little, if any, clearance at the back of them but how is the
back actually formed.

Is it simply hardboard nailed onto the back (much like flat pack
furniture) or does it fit in a rebate in the sides and base (like a
drawer bottom) or is the back a more solid piece that is held in
place by corner blocks, dowels etc

We are finally going to get to Ikea to look at the ranges tomorrow
but I'm trying to cover as much as possible before then as I'm bound
to forget whilst in store and I really don't want to have to go back
again just to look !

Thanks

Jim

Most if not all units have a recess to pass pipes ect behind.

Ikea units don't apparently. Swedish plumbers don't route services that way
it seems. I haven't ever seen an Ikea unit so I can't personally comment on
what the backs are like.

The backs on all units are hardboard fitted into rebates at each end of
the
unit.

Are you talking specifically about Ikea units?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jim" writes:
Sorry to keep going on about Ikea kitchens but I've got another question
regarding how the cabinets are constructed. I know they have very little, if
any, clearance at the back of them but how is the back actually formed.

Is it simply hardboard nailed onto the back (much like flat pack furniture)
or does it fit in a rebate in the sides and base (like a drawer bottom) or
is the back a more solid piece that is held in place by corner blocks,
dowels etc

We are finally going to get to Ikea to look at the ranges tomorrow but I'm
trying to cover as much as possible before then as I'm bound to forget
whilst in store and I really don't want to have to go back again just to
look !

Back is hardboard nailed on. It fits in a recess which is the same
thickness as the hardboard, making the back flush with the wall.
You don't need to fit the backs at all if the wall is good enough
for a cupboard. The back does provide a significant part of the
unit's rigidity whilst fitting units, so without it, you will need
to be careful getting units in place and making sure they are
square before fixing to the wall, and you may need extra wall
fixing points.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Jim" writes:

//snip//

Back is hardboard nailed on. It fits in a recess which is the same
thickness as the hardboard, making the back flush with the wall.
You don't need to fit the backs at all if the wall is good enough
for a cupboard.

We left the backs off ours & painted the wall & sealed the
chipboard-wall butt joint with a flexible silicone frame sealing
compound. leaves no space for spiders & webs & stops the
hardboard-wall side going black from condensation. & yes, condensation
will form even if the wall is dry - you'd have to hemetically seal the
joints to avoid it.

Far better job than the old units which had such a backing.

Also fitted removable click-in-place kick boards under the units so the
underneath of the units could be cleansed (plastic floor tiles all the
way to the back of the units plus 100mm upstand at the floor-wall
junction).

The back does provide a significant part of the
unit's rigidity whilst fitting units, so without it, you will need
to be careful getting units in place and making sure they are
square before fixing to the wall, and you may need extra wall
fixing points.

I used 6mm hex head coach screws (mostly x 50mm long) on washers to fix
the brackets into 8mm wall plugs in the wall. Made for a really strong
grip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Jim wrote:
Is it simply hardboard nailed onto the back (much like flat pack
furniture) or does it fit in a rebate in the sides and base (like a
drawer bottom) or is the back a more solid piece that is held in
place by corner blocks, dowels etc

Most if not all units have a recess to pass pipes ect behind.
The backs on all units are hardboard fitted into rebates at each end of the
unit.

Ikea units do not have a service space. The hardboard back is nailed on.
The back isn't essential when all the units are in place as a
combination of being all bolted together side by side and angle brackets
onto the back wall will make the whole set solid. Personally I prefer
the IKea system, wastes less space, no gaps for rodents etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
Sorry to keep going on about Ikea kitchens but I've got another question
regarding how the cabinets are constructed. I know they have very little, if
any, clearance at the back of them but how is the back actually formed.

No service space but if you want/need one theres nothing to stop you
blocking the units out from the wall and using an oversized worktop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately the kitchen is quite narrow so oversize worktops probably
won't work.
However I've just bought a table saw so putting rebates in the sides a few
inches in may be the first practical use it gets !

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Jim" contains these words:

Unfortunately the kitchen is quite narrow so oversize worktops probably
won't work.

Last place we lived was so narrow I had to remove 3" from the backs of
the units otherwise the doors would have hit the sink on the other side
of the kitchen.

Made the cupboards a lot easier to keep tidy!

--
Skipweasel

Building kitchen cabinets - any cost savings? Todd Fatheree Woodworking 128 July 15th 05 05:42 AM
Kitchen cabinets question Patrick Bitton Woodworking 12 March 19th 05 03:35 PM
Kitchen cabinets Alexander Galkin Woodworking 13 March 5th 05 01:28 PM
Kitchen cabinets Lynn Home Ownership 16 March 23rd 04 04:51 PM
Cabinets, Let the buyer beware Clifford Keele Home Repair 18 June 25th 03 04:40 PM