Old April 6th 05, 04:33 AM
Todd Fatheree

Default Building kitchen cabinets - any cost savings?

We're sometime this year going to embark on a major addition to our home.
Part of that will include a completely new kitchen. For other items I've
built, mainly furniture, I've never looked at it as much as saving money
(which I'm sure I haven't) as I have at getting something exactly like I
want and the satisfaction of building something myself. However, I have
this sneaking suspicion that there's a lot of markup in kitchen cabinets and
that perhaps there is not only the opportunity to make something the way I
want, but also to save some bucks. So, I'm wondering if anyone who has
built kitchen cabinets ever broke down the cost to buy vs. the cost to make
(assuming, of course, that your own time has no value ;-). SWMBO isn't
exactly on board with my little project, but if I can same some money on
cabinets, I might be able to trade her for a fancy schmancy fridge. I've
built cabinets for the shop in exactly the same way I would build base and
upper kitchen cabinets, so I'm confident I could make them.

todd

Old April 6th 05, 05:05 AM
jo4hn

Todd Fatheree wrote:

[...]

When we built a couple years ago, I thought about building the kitchen
cabinets. I looked at prices from mail order outfits, including those
that supplied melamine or ply boxes and you add the fronts. As far a
price goes, I could save a bit just based on the wood and hardware costs
(the prefab boxes were probably a wash if you don't mind melamine). The
major difference was time. If I build them, it's going to take a fair
amount of time (I'm basically lazy). Plus I had a bunch of built ins
for books and electronics and the shop cabinets that I needed. We took
a vote and it was 2-zip to go with some Orange Borg cabinets. They
proved to be quite satisfactory (self installed) and LOML could unpack
all the cooking stuff the day we moved in. :-)

my opinion only,
jo4hn
Old April 6th 05, 05:06 AM
Leon

I do kitchen cabinets and my prices are quite reasonable. I typically
charge 4 to 5 times my cost in materials. I beat the pants off of similar
prefab cabinet pricing and installation. If you can do it, you will come
out thousands ahead.

Old April 6th 05, 05:12 AM
Todd Fatheree

"jo4hn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Todd Fatheree wrote:

[...]

Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'll certainly have
other projects that I can do, so I need to choose my projects wisely. We
don't even have a rough design from the architect yet, so I don't have
anything to take to the local Borg to have them whip up a design to get a
ballpark on. I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

todd

Old April 6th 05, 05:16 AM
Todd Fatheree

Nothing like having you and jo4hn on opposite ends of the spectrum! ;-) To
be honest, I figured it would work out closer to your end, but I guess I'll
have to work the numbers both ways.

todd

m...

Old April 6th 05, 05:35 AM
Robatoy

"Leon" wrote:

I do kitchen cabinets and my prices are quite reasonable. I typically
charge 4 to 5 times my cost in materials. I beat the pants off of similar
prefab cabinet pricing and installation. If you can do it, you will come
out thousands ahead.

I'm installing a solid surface countertop, Thursday, on a set of
cabinets bought from HD. When I took the template last week, I got into
a lenghty discussion with the home-owner about the saving etc.
He popped open his laptop and showed me about a dozen spreadsheets. That
couple sure did their homework. Very revealing, to say the least.
Bottom line?
They ended up with a new 16ga undermount stainless steel sink, 20 feet
of solid surface material (mine) installed, a set of Kohler taps and all
the taxes paid...basically for free.
You bet your a*ss it's worth it. They learned as they went along....took
their time.

A jigsaw and a cordless drill. Period.

He did mention he had some issues regarding the sizes of the cabinets he
ordered, delaying the completion by about 3 weeks. Home Depot's fault on
2 cabinets, one fault his, and one mislabelled.
Old April 6th 05, 06:24 AM
Michael White

Todd Fatheree ) wrote on Tuesday 05 April 2005 10:33 pm:

[...]

I just recently had to replace the kitchen cabinet underneath the sink due
to water damage. At first, I looked into replacing it. I figured I'd look
for the cheapest one the same size, and re-use the old front (too old to
match any more). It looked like about $300 or so, because no one was
willing to part with just the back.

So I re-built. A single 4x8 sheet of decent 3/4" cabinet plywood cost me
about $45 at Lowes and was more that enough. Going 1/2" should be even
cheaper and more than good enough for most other applications. I used some
contaminated polyurethane I had lying around as a sort of
stain/waterproofing. I damaged the face some when I removed it from the
old cabinet, and spent $7 or so on wood filler and a matching stain.

As for the face, that's something that depends on exactly what you want.
Painted MDF is cheap and easy and works fine in some environments. Maybe
cost you a total of $55 for a 34" -cabinet with materials and all (hinges,
paint, handles, etc...). Start using some really nice hardwood, and your
costs can go up significantly. You'll have to price that yourself.

Also, don't forget any time you'll need for router work (prep and actual
work), along with the necessary purchase of new bits.

Another thought - what about re-using and re-finishing your old cabinet
faces? That'll really cut your costs.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Old April 6th 05, 10:21 AM
Unisaw A-100

I (we) have a $30,000 kitchen (1). I (we) spent around
$15,000 (ish).

(1) Actually it's hard to say. I (we) never had it priced
out but from what I (we) have seen the project would have
been somewhere between $25,000 and $35,000.

UA100
Old April 6th 05, 01:33 PM
Swingman

[...]

Absolutely worth it, IMO ... and it's not so much the "markup", but the
customized _quality_ you can impart to the boxes that you simply can't
easily find at any price these days. Even if you sub out the doors and
drawer fronts, you will unquestionably come out ahead with custom,
built-for-your-space, boxes.

Building roughly a house a year (in the $700K range) the past few years, as
of a couple of years ago I started doing the kitchens myself as well (AAMOF,
I am working on one as we speak), and wouldn't take the time out of a very
busy schedule to do it without good reason. I can unequivocally, hands down
beat the subs in this area with regard to their workmanship, and in the
process stick an extra $5 - $15K in my pocket for a few weeks work (even
with subbing out the doors and drawer fronts to a local custom door company,
or as I did on my house, supplying them with the materials and have them use
their shapers to mill the door and drawer fronts parts for my assembly).

Give it serious consideration ... if you have a copy of CutList Plust and
can open .dwg files, I'll be glad to send you the files on the current
kitchen I am working on at the moment so that you can see for yourself what
is involved.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Old April 6th 05, 01:40 PM
Al Reid

"Swingman" wrote in message ...

Give it serious consideration ... if you have a copy of CutList Plust and
can open .dwg files, I'll be glad to send you the files on the current
kitchen I am working on at the moment so that you can see for yourself what
is involved.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman,

I've been working on plans for a kitchen remodel myself. I would appreciate it if you could send me your .dwg files to look at.

My email addy is areidjr at reid-home dot com.

TIA,

--

Al Reid

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Likely Extension / Building Cost? rbb UK diy 1 July 25th 03 08:24 PM