Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jarkat2002

Default Ikea kitchen cabinets - advice?

So the price is a plus. However, the one thing I have noticed is that
Ikea's doors are not solid wood, they are birch or oak veneer over
particle board with a solid beech edge (the beech handles wear better,
according to the customer service person I spoke to). I believe Home
Depot's doors are solid wood. Also, Ikea doesn't seem to have the
cabinet variety of sizes etc. that Home Depot and other places have,
however we have a pretty standard kitchen so that doesn't really
affect us that much. Also, we are planning on staying in this house
for 6 - 10 years, but you never can tell - so does anyone know whether
an Ikea kitchen would be a problem for resale?

While I didn't have Ikea brand cabinets, I did have the ones covered w/ veneer
and particle board core. Kitchens get hot and steamy (at least mine does
and found that within a year the veneer started to buckle and warp. I wouldn't
go w/ particle board core / veneer again. But that's just MHO
~Kat

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
Lucky Numbers 1, 4, 19, 24, 29
Dorot29701

My house was built in 1983 and I too have been cabinet shopping. My cabinets
are the particle board covered with formica type - they have held up quite well
considering. They aren't very pretty but they aren't coming apart because of
hot steam either.

I am considering a custom cabinet job now. The cabinets are made out of 3/4
in. plywood, covered in a "mica" - or I could get wooden doors for a lot more
money. The doors are made by a company in Ft. Lauderdale called Door Mark Inc.
Has anyone on here had any personal experience with them? The sample I saw
looked real good.I'm not the greatest house keeper and when I had cabinets that
were wood with lacquer finish - they were a PITA to keep clean.

Dorothy
drifter

I have Ikea book cases that I bought 20 years ago and they have held up
well but remember the Idea bookcases aren't very wide. All of Ikea's
products are glued sawdust. And so is Home Depot. Not bad, not good,
just is. Everything made out of glued sawdust sags in time. I have
very cheap Home Depot cupboards, about 120.00 Canadian a set and yes the
shelving sags. You don't say how much but the impression I get is that
cupboards can cost 3 to 10,000 dollars in a kitchen redo. If I was
going to spend that kind of money, I would go the library and get out a
book on building a set of cupboards, use good wood and do it myself,
whether you are a woman or a man. Basic beautiful cupboards aren't that
difficult to make. You need a skill saw, ruler, tape measure and little
else, say a hundred dollars worth of tools.

Millie wrote:

Hi, we are considering using Ikea's kitchen cabinets to remodel our
kitchen. We received estimates from Home Depot and from several custom
cabinet makers as well as Ikea, but the Ikea price fits better into
our budget and the Home Depot /custom cabinet people didn't seem to be
much better quality than Ikea, although they were more expensive.

Also, we like the new modern style better, which Ikea does and Home
Depot does not, and custom guys tell us they do not do the aluminum
frame glass doors. We could order some modern european frameless
cabinets from Italy (which is what Ikea is copying), but we are now
talking major $$$.

So the price is a plus. However, the one thing I have noticed is that
Ikea's doors are not solid wood, they are birch or oak veneer over
particle board with a solid beech edge (the beech handles wear better,
according to the customer service person I spoke to). I believe Home
Depot's doors are solid wood. Also, Ikea doesn't seem to have the
cabinet variety of sizes etc. that Home Depot and other places have,
however we have a pretty standard kitchen so that doesn't really
affect us that much. Also, we are planning on staying in this house
for 6 - 10 years, but you never can tell - so does anyone know whether
an Ikea kitchen would be a problem for resale?

Also can anyone can give us any advice on how Ikea kitchens hold up
over time? Has anyone used granite as a countertop on them- the Ikea
people say it will hold up, but I'd love to hear from someone who
actually did it...

If we do go with Ikea, we are planning on using the Nexus birch or oak
doors with the Avsikt glass doors with a granite countertop.

TIA

M.

D. Gerasimatos

In article , drifter wrote:

I have Ikea book cases that I bought 20 years ago and they have held up
well but remember the Idea bookcases aren't very wide. All of Ikea's
products are glued sawdust.

Not necessarily true. There are a lot of IKEA products made of solid wood,
usually pine.

Dimitri

Cindy, CA

drifter wrote in message ...
I have Ikea book cases that I bought 20 years ago and they have held up
well but remember the Idea bookcases aren't very wide. All of Ikea's
products are glued sawdust. And so is Home Depot.

The least expensive products are made of MDF, but not the
expensive/better quality stuff. Look at all price ranges.. you'll see
the differences.