Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace spark plugs

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?
Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

Looking on the web ("spark plugs 2000 Malibu"), it seems as if the hardest
part is removing the sparkplug wires - they sometimes attach themselves like
a barnacle to the plugs. Plan on replacing the sparkplug wires along with
the plugs.

One poster said the easiest way to remove the back three was to drive the
car up on a ramp and attack the suckers from underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they
would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:41:59 -0700 (PDT), p4o2 wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

Is the Malibu like my 2001 Impala? I always wondered why they left
that big honking 'U' of steel on top of the engine. I thought it was
how they lifted the engine into place. Turns out it is to hook your
come-along to in order to pull the engine far enough forward to
replace the rear plugs.

The book said I'd need to drop the exhaust, remove a motor mount and
unhook some other stuff, but my mechanic told me that I could probably
get away without all that. He was right. The Malibu is smaller, so
you might not have that 'extra' 1/2 inch. I think I'd pay the $200
today.

Even with the motor pulled forward, I felt like a pretzel by the time
I got those 3 out.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/10 12:20 pm, LSMFT wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

I have no idea about the Malibu, but replacing the plugs in my Chrysler
300M was a piece of cake. I don't recall the price of the plugs at
AutoZone -- maybe $4 each.

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they
would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.

In fact inaccessible junction boxes are illegal in the USA -- at least
according to the last many editions of the National Electrical Code.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2010 11:41 AM, p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

I don't know but on my 2000 Taurus (which is a front wheel drive
vehicle) I've never even seen the back row of plugs. The firewall gets
in my way. The labor in servicing the plugs on that bank is more than
I'd want to mess with although I wouldn't hesitate on a rear wheel drive
engine.

But the fact that you can't see what you're working on makes all the
difference.... and more expensive, I'd assume.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2010 12:20 PM, LSMFT wrote:
p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they
would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.

You are placing the blame squarely in the wrong place. Having a pretty
good familiarity with internal workings of companies I can tell you it
wasn't the engineering dept that overtly made the crappy design.

The primary drivers of final product are the bean counters trying to
make a buck while building the cheap stuff that many demand and the
marketing folks world where form always trumps function.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:02:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:28:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

[...]

On a late 60's Chevy V-8, they did not yet have the "U" for lifting.

I had to un-bolt the motor mount, use a floor jack and then lift the
motor -- all for _one_ plug! Then wiggle my ears and hold my mouth
right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

I love it when the shop manual has no instructions for just the job at
hand. Ie: clutch job that has total engine removal as a step then
engine removal that has total transmission removal as one of the steps.
If you followed the steps you'd be taking the knob off the shifter and
dismantling the dashboard center console to do a clutch job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

I owned a car maybe 35 years ago which had a panel on the firewall under
the dash you removed to get at one or more spark plugs.

My memory is weak, I can't recall the year, make or model, just that
removable panel. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

Jim

Open trunk lid, put downseats, put hole saw on extention, drill 3
holes in firewall. Using long extention, remove 3 plugs. Replace plugs
and install firewall plugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/10 12:20 pm, LSMFT wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they
would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.

Picking on the Americans in this instance is not a good idea. Back in
the 1950s, the UK _Sunday Express_ newspaper had a review of a new
Rolls-Royce model on which to access the spark plugs (which in those
days needed to be replaced far, far more frequently than today's
100K-mile plugs) one had first to remove each front wheel in turn, then
remove an access panel that was secured by a large number of bolts. The
reviewer had contacted Rolls-Royce about this and criticized the design,
only to be told: "But Sir, doesn't your chauffeur look after this for you?"

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote in news:944c8425-fbe4-47a8-9e2f-bf171bbbd6e0
@j25g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

on some 6 cylinder engines getting at the back plugs requires raising the
engine up. Raising the engine is actually very easy when you know the
trick. You need to find which engine mount prevents the engine from
rotating - there is usually one that does that. You put the car in Park
without the parking brake on, remove the bolt to the engine block and push
the car forward about 2 or 3 inches. The engine will rotate upwards and
forwards. You kick a piece of wood under the wheel to keep the car from
rolling backwards. The engine will stay up nicely while you change the back
plugs. When you are done just kick the wood loose and the car will roll
back a bit and the engine will drop back down. Replace the mount bolt. That
sure beats trying to figure out how to jack up the engine.

That trick wouldn't work on a Plymouth Acclaim. There was room at the back
to get out two plugs but the third one was under the accesory mount. I got
it out with a universal jointed socket but it was a difficult job. The plug
had never been changed and was totally plugged with soot.

If you have the type of engine that rotates on it's mounts then the job is
simple. If it is like the Acclaim then its no wonder the garages want $191;
I would, too, because the job is a bugger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[...]

Just remember to do it with the engine cold and it's less than 1/10th
the issue it is with the engine hot!!!!

On my PT Cruiser 2.4, remove intake manifold.
On my wife's 2.5 Mystique - rem0ve intake manifold
On my old 3.8 Pontiac transport, remove ignition coils and swear one
blue streak.
On the 2 Ford Aerostar 3.0 engines I had a few years back, 2 from the
doghouse, 2 from under the left fender, and 2 from under the right
fender, or put it on the hoist and with the right combination of
extentions and flexes, change the whole works in 10 minutes - and
mabee a couple od scuffed knuckles.
Try it hot and you were asking for a trip to emerg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I miss my 71 Ford pickup. To change plugs (300 ci 6 cylinder) Open hood.
Climb over left front fender. Stand on ground between fender and engine.
change plugs. I can't even find some of the plugs on our Dodge Caravan and
Infiniti QX4 ....ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:02:28 -0500, wrote:

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

Jim

Sounds like VW timing belt. Remove wheel well, motor mount, jack up motor.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they
would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.

You are placing the blame squarely in the wrong place. Having a pretty
good familiarity with internal workings of companies I can tell you it
wasn't the engineering dept that overtly made the crappy design.

The primary drivers of final product are the bean counters trying to
make a buck while building the cheap stuff that many demand and the
marketing folks world where form always trumps function.

Does anybody remember "Unsafe at any speed", quoting the infamous
"Let 'em burn!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

Jim

Sounds like VW timing belt. Remove wheel well, motor mount, jack up motor.

Not looking forward to the job on the 2.4 liter PT Cruiser!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

WOW !!! Guess it is worth the $191.

BTW I am p4o2 (different computer).

I should have know this since I had the serpentine belt on the 2000
Malibu replaced and they had to remove a motor mount and lift the
engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Not looking forward to the job on the 2.4 liter PT Cruiser!!!!!!

Not sure of the motor size, but a fellow at work was quoted $ 1200 for the
timing belt on his PT Cruiser at a dealership. He drove it and the belt
broke. Got it replaced for only $ 850. Thing was he was about 150 miles
from home and had to get a ride back home and it took 3 days for the
independent shop to do the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/10 10:21 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible.

They ARE accessible. The normal maintenance interval for spark plugs
is 100,000 miles. They really don't need to be super-easily accessible
if you only have to change them every 100,000 miiles.

Actually, if the engine is not sucking oil down like it's on sale,
there's no reason to ever change them.

Even if the plugs don't get fouled by oil and carbon, the electrodes do
gradually erode. I'd bet that the gaps are somewhat wider after 100K
miles than when they were new.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 10/21/10 10:21 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible.

They ARE accessible. The normal maintenance interval for spark plugs
is 100,000 miles. They really don't need to be super-easily accessible
if you only have to change them every 100,000 miiles.

Actually, if the engine is not sucking oil down like it's on sale,
there's no reason to ever change them.

Even if the plugs don't get fouled by oil and carbon, the electrodes do
gradually erode. I'd bet that the gaps are somewhat wider after 100K
miles than when they were new.

Perce

Hmmm,
Platinum or Iridium plugs last LOMG time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:33*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Platinum or Iridium plugs last LOMG time!- Hide quoted text -

I have 127K on my 2002 Pathfinder. I monitor every drop of gasoline
that goes into the vehicle, and do a cumulative interval mileage check
every 4K or so. So far I have not had any decrease in mileage, so I
have to assume all cylinders are firing ok. I won't worry about
replacing the platinum plugs until I see the mileage showing signs of
decreasing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:41*am, p4o2 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

Rule of thumb: Never buy a vehicle where you can’t fit your whole body
under the hood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
[...]

I remember Nader's 'Unsafe' in the 60's- directed at the Corvair & GM.
'Let 'em burn' sounds like Ford on their 1970's Pinto. Are you
conflating, or did I miss something.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 10/21/10 10:21 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible.

They ARE accessible. The normal maintenance interval for spark plugs
is 100,000 miles. They really don't need to be super-easily accessible
if you only have to change them every 100,000 miiles.

Actually, if the engine is not sucking oil down like it's on sale,
there's no reason to ever change them.

Even if the plugs don't get fouled by oil and carbon, the electrodes do
gradually erode. I'd bet that the gaps are somewhat wider after 100K
miles than when they were new.

Don't bet a lot on that. Granted I waited until 140K- but on my
'95 Taurus they were widened a bit. I did my Impala right around
the 100K mark & the plugs looked like they had just a couple thousand
miles on them.

And then there are those gapless plugs that are becoming popular.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nestor Kelebay" wrote in message
roups.com...
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...gs-591810-.htm
Nestor Kelebay wrote:
Reno wrote:

I get annoyed sometimes when I hear about the way American cars are
designed and manufactured. My sister had a Ford Taurus and had to pay
over $700 to replace the fuel pump in it. That's cuz the fuel pump was
inside the gas tank, and they had to drop the gas tank out of the car to
replace that fuel pump.

I, on the other hand, had a Toyota Corolla at the time. The fuel sending
unit on that car went, and I got a replacement one from one of my local
auto wreckers. Toyota engineers and designers had the foresight to
provide a removable panel under the carpet in the trunk of my car situated
directly above the fuel sending unit. That little bit of thinking on
their part saved thousands of their customers a lot of money. That same
thinking on Ford's part would have saved their customers money too, but
they didn't include such a panel.

Some of the "shade tree mechanics" have learned to take a hole saw and cut
holes in the car to get at things like that and some things under the hood.
Saves a lot of time for them and money for the owner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

wrote in message

Not looking forward to the job on the 2.4 liter PT Cruiser!!!!!!

Not sure of the motor size, but a fellow at work was quoted $ 1200 for
the timing belt on his PT Cruiser at a dealership.

2.4L-4cyl motor

He drove it and
the belt broke. Got it replaced for only $ 850. Thing was he was
about 150 miles from home and had to get a ride back home and it took
3 days for the independent shop to do the work.

he's lucky he didn't have an interference engine. Then he would have had to
have the motor rebuilt,after some valves crashed into pistons.

I had a timing belt break on an 74 Civic CVCC,no damage,motor spun real
fast when cranking it. I forget what it cost to replace,but it wasn't much.
Maybe a couple $100.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible. ...

BS.

I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that
are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access
items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper,
cowl, and radiator.g

Jim

I felt that way on my BMW at first, every under the hood job seemed to
start" remove fluid and radiator" but the radiator really came out
easily and it really was the first step to doing anything near the
front of the engine. It turned out to be time well spent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:33:08 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

I had to throw my Iridiums away in less than 35,000 KM - was getting
random misfires throwing code. Replaced with OEM Champion Plats and
the missfires went away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/10 10:21 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts
should be accessible.

They ARE accessible. The normal maintenance interval for spark plugs
is 100,000 miles. They really don't need to be super-easily accessible
if you only have to change them every 100,000 miiles.

Actually, if the engine is not sucking oil down like it's on sale,
there's no reason to ever change them.

Even if the plugs don't get fouled by oil and carbon, the electrodes do
gradually erode. I'd bet that the gaps are somewhat wider after 100K
miles than when they were new.

Perce

that's true, the gaps do grow. But with the high energy systems we have
now (since about '74) the spark can jump a gap in excess of ONE INCH.
So there's really no need for an electrode on the plug at all. The only
reason for one is to keep the spark from jumping to the crown of the
piston.

--
Steve Barker

Speaking of broken spark plugs... JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] Home Repair 88 December 9th 09 02:57 PM
GE cooktop no spark - spark module or something else? autonut843 Home Repair 3 February 21st 06 01:11 AM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM
spark gen Nick Williams Electronics 1 October 16th 04 03:17 PM
spark gen Nick Williams Electronics 0 October 15th 04 01:15 PM