Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Replace spark plugs

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:41:59 -0700 (PDT), p4o2 wrote:

Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?

I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told
it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?

Is the Malibu like my 2001 Impala? I always wondered why they left
that big honking 'U' of steel on top of the engine. I thought it was
how they lifted the engine into place. Turns out it is to hook your
come-along to in order to pull the engine far enough forward to
replace the rear plugs.

The book said I'd need to drop the exhaust, remove a motor mount and
unhook some other stuff, but my mechanic told me that I could probably
get away without all that. He was right. The Malibu is smaller, so
you might not have that 'extra' 1/2 inch. I think I'd pay the $200
today.

Even with the motor pulled forward, I felt like a pretzel by the time
I got those 3 out.

Jim