Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

Heh!

[BERLIN] Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a
legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs -- by
producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and
selling them as "heatballs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/...many_heatballs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best idea I've heard in ages. Well done, sir!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Heh!

[BERLIN] Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up
with a
legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs --
by
producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and
selling them as "heatballs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/...many_heatballs

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Heh!

[BERLIN] Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up
with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light
bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating
devices" and selling them as "heatballs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/...many_heatballs

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat in
a small space.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many folks use light bulbs to heat well houses, and other places. I
reccomend two bulbs, in case one blows a filament.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Heh!

[BERLIN] Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up
with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light
bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small
heating
devices" and selling them as "heatballs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/...many_heatballs

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide
heat in
a small space.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 9:28*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Many folks use light bulbs to heat well houses, and other places. I
reccomend two bulbs, in case one blows a filament.

What two bulbs do in the privacy of their own sockets is none of your
business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the frozen
north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 11:15*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using *a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the frozen
north. *The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. *The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. *When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. *Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

In the heating season, I worry very much less about light bulbs
(incandescent) stayiong on when no one is going to be in the nearby
space for a period of time. WHen it is air-conditioning season, we
are very careful about leaving incandescent bulbs going any more than
necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
DGDevin spewed forth:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide
heat in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the
frozen north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the
trailers had insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that
were powered by the camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat
from those bulbs kept the propane from turning into a gel and not
flowing to the heaters.
The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint
as to why such bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we
switched to CFLs our electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power
vs. pay less for power, hmmmm, tough call.

but shouldn't the market be the one that effects the change and not gvmt?
I know lots of people don't like choice, but things are getting ridiculous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 12:15*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
[...]

When you weren't working did you hang out in bars and listen to the
piano?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:16 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

but shouldn't the market be the one that effects the change and not gvmt?
I know lots of people don't like choice, but things are getting ridiculous.

It's talk like that that will get you added the hate list the fool in
the White House is compiling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

In case no one gets this, it's a reference to Billy Joel. DD, face it,
we're from a generation whose references are becoming more and more obscure.
My teacher friend says kids don't know about a lot of things we take for
granted - the most surprising of late that they didn't know anything about
the Challenger disaster. But "Piano Man?"

Before I got married, I dated someone about 25 years younger than me *once*
and realized how out of tune 1 generation can make you: "This is the same
song my Dad listens to!" or "This is just like my Dad's car" to "Who was
Soupy Sales?" If a show didn't make it to Nickelodeon or endless reruns on
WGN, it faded from history. I am always surprised to see the hundreds
(thousands?) of one season or less TV shows that are listed.

You can probably guess when someone was born by whether they recognize
certain TV shows from their youth. I come from the "Voyage to the Bottom of
the Sea/Disney/Bonanza/The FBI" Sunday night TV generation. I can't quite
place any other shows to a particular day but those shows seem to stick in
my mind as family TV night shows. I think "The Man from Uncle" would have
been Thursdays. Now think of how meaningless the above is for someone born
in 1990. (-: We're getting old and in the way, but only the good die young.

To keep this on thread, this is the time of the year when we pull a lot of
CFL's and replace them with incandescents just because the savings equation
changes so much when the spill heat is recoverable in terms of room heating.
Year long we don't use CFLs in stairwells, in the bathroom nor in the
overheads because they are X-10 controlled devices without a neutral wire
and the bulbs flash intolerably while on.

Now that I think about it, when I switch over to "winter mode" today I might
try 2 CFL's and one low wattage incandescent in a three bulb overhead
fixture just to see if a tungsten bulb leaks enough current to allow the
X-10 switch to operate normally. That would be an interesting experiment
although I suspect the light would be noticeable asymetric with that sort of
bulb mix.

But I have to agree, running CFLs in the summer really does save a LOT of
electricity because the AC doesn't have to absorb all the spill heat from
tungsten bulbs by running longer.

I wonder how many cultural references in "We Didn't Start the Fire" would be
meaningful to today's kids? Hmmm, doesn't look too good, DD. "Johnie Ray?
Sugar Ray Peyton Place?" They'd ask "Where's Sookie?"

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe
Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye"
Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye
Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, dacron
Dien Bien Phu falls, "Rock Around the Clock"
Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev
Princess Grace, "Peyton Place", trouble in the Suez
Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai"
Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather homicide, children of thalidomide
Buddy Holly, "Ben Hur", space monkey, Mafia
Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
U-2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo
Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion
"Lawrence of Arabia", British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson
Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say
Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
"Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and roll, cola wars, I can't take it anymore

(My favorite was always "Space Monkey Mafia" )

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 1:57*pm, "ChairMan" wrote:
DGDevin spewed forth:

Pay more for power
vs. pay less for power, hmmmm, tough call.

but shouldn't the market be the one that effects the change and not gvmt?
I know lots of people don't like choice, but things are getting ridiculous.

Here's an example of the 'free' market making a choice.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/1...s-decay-months

Remember:
A). There is no such thing as a free market
B). Decisions are rarely made with full information
C). People shouldn't get old and die...especially me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide
heat in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the
frozen north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the
trailers had insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that
were powered by the camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat
from those bulbs kept the propane from turning into a gel and not
flowing to the heaters.
The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint
as to why such bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we
switched to CFLs our electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power
vs. pay less for power, hmmmm, tough call.

How many CFLs would it take to keep your Propane from going bad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, that's what you modernists say. God made Bulbs, and Sockets.
Homosocketuality is a grave transgression. As also is blowing
filaments among unmarried bulbs.

Just cause it's consenting adults, doesn't mean socketual behaviour is
acceptable unto the source of all power.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Many folks use light bulbs to heat well houses, and other places. I
reccomend two bulbs, in case one blows a filament.

What two bulbs do in the privacy of their own sockets is none of your
business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you mean jellied diesel? I don't think propane has that problem.

I can easily imagine power bill being lower with CFL. Which is fine,
if all you want is light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the
frozen
north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers
had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by
the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat from those bulbs kept
the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why
such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have government permission to ask that question? You could be
considered unpatriotic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ChairMan" wrote in message
. com...

but shouldn't the market be the one that effects the change and not
gvmt?
I know lots of people don't like choice, but things are getting
ridiculous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Up here, in the summer time we don't use lights much, and in the
winter we need the heat anyway - so what's wrong with incandescent
lighting? If I'm sitting reading in the evening and the lamp is giving
both heat and light I can be comfortable with the thermostat at a
lower setting as the lamp produces radiant heating - warming me in
it's beam without having to heat the whole house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 20:05:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Do you mean jellied diesel? I don't think propane has that problem.

I can easily imagine power bill being lower with CFL. Which is fine,
if all you want is light.

Below a certain temperature propane won't vapourize, but that's
something like -45.
No gelling with propane.
Deisel and furnace oil are a totally different situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 6:51*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

What I love doing is pointing out to my "kids" (18 - 24) how many of
"their" songs are remakes of songs from my generation. I love pointing
out to them that many of the artists that they listen to fit into one
of 2 groups:

1 - They don't know how to write quality music so they remix the great
songs from my generation.
2 - They know how to write quality music, but they also recognize
quality writing when they see it and give tribute by remixing it.

Somehow I doubt that too many of the new songs they listen to will be
remixed by the next generation of musicians. If it's crap now, it'll
still be crap in 20 years. I'm not putting down all music of today,
because there are a lot of talented writers/performers out there, and
I like some of the same stuff my kids do. However, when I see them
enjoying Eminem sampling "Big Brother and The Holding Company" or
Silvertide rocking Dylan's "Maggie's Farm", I have to point out to
them whose music they are listening to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If they're interested, this is a great way to learn about those
references.

The song, with images linked to Wikipedia.

Check it out...

http://yeli.us/Flash/Fire.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:15:16 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the frozen
north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

Nonsense. A 100W incandescent bulb will put out exactly the same heat as a
100W fluorescent; 100W.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

WHAT???? A 100W CFL puts out far more light energy than a 100W incandescent
bulb. What you probably mean is that they draw the same amount of
electrical current, but for instance a CFL rated at 23W is considered the
equivalent in light energy to a 100W tungsten bulb. Now think of how dim a
25W incandescent bulb is an you have an idea of the difference in how much
of that energy is being lost as heat, not light, in a tungsten bulb.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 00:13:00 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

Read what was written.

What you probably mean is that they draw the same amount of
electrical current, but for instance a CFL rated at 23W is considered the
equivalent in light energy to a 100W tungsten bulb.

No, that's not what I meant, but it's a result of the same.

Now think of how dim a
25W incandescent bulb is an you have an idea of the difference in how much
of that energy is being lost as heat, not light, in a tungsten bulb.

You really need to brush up on your reading comprehension.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 1:41*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 00:13:00 -0400, "Robert Green"

wrote:
news

wrote:

[...]

And you're playing with semantics. It was clear what DGDevin meant.
Communication is more than just taking every word
literally...especially in a newsgroup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:04:32 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 17, 1:41*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 00:13:00 -0400, "Robert Green"

wrote:
wrote in message
news On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:15:16 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

[...]

No, I'm not. A 100W heater was needed and an incandescent bulb works just as
well as a 100W heater or 100W fluorescent.

It was clear what DGDevin meant.

It was clear he didn't know what he was saying, rather just flew off into his
usual leftist's screed.

Communication is more than just taking every word
literally...especially in a newsgroup.

It's more than AGW 24/7, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You're imagining that...he said no such thing. This is exactly what
he wrote:
"The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why
such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call. "

Robert Green's choice of words confused the issue, but DG's thrust
was that CFLs cost less for the same amount of light. They're more
efficient. You'll spend less to light up the place. Little argument
there, right?

For the record, I'm not crazy about CFLs due to the mercury in them,
but there's little argument that they're a step in the right direction
regardless of anyone's take on politics.

Communication is more than just taking every word
literally...especially in a newsgroup.

It's more than AGW 24/7, too.

Agreed. Who brought up the subject?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:33:14 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

he wrote:
"The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why
such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call. "

Come on, you're not that stupid. This whole paragraph is out of place, as
well as being wrong. It was a *HEATER* that was needed here, so the whole
subject of light vs. heat was wrong. The only thing that matters is heat.
They're using a light bulb not because it's inefficient, rather because it's
CHEAP. It puts out *exactly* the same heat as any other 100W load, yet DGD
had to get his digs in at the (irrelevant) light output, and he was wrong.

Robert Green's choice of words confused the issue, but DG's thrust
was that CFLs cost less for the same amount of light. They're more
efficient. You'll spend less to light up the place. Little argument
there, right?

But that's *WRONG*. Heat is what was wanted. Both are equally efficient at
producing heat. The *light* argument was the confusing issue (it confused
you). ...and a red herring.

For the record, I'm not crazy about CFLs due to the mercury in them,
but there's little argument that they're a step in the right direction
regardless of anyone's take on politics.

I'm not crazy about them for many reasons. In general, they suck and I won't
use them.

Communication is more than just taking every word
literally...especially in a newsgroup.

It's more than AGW 24/7, too.

Agreed. Who brought up the subject?

That's the whole thrust behind CFLs - the reason DGD brought the canard into
the discussion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:34:04 -0500, "
wrote:

[...]

But (when it works) more light
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But the 23 watt CFL is putting out extremely close to the same amount
of HEAT that the 25 watt Incandescent is. (about 23/25ths +/- a few
percent)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:04:32 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using Â*a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide
heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the
frozen
north. Â*The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. Â*The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. Â*When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Â*Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

Nonsense. Â*A 100W incandescent bulb will put out exactly the same heat as
100W fluorescent; 100W.

WHAT???? Â*A 100W CFL puts out far more light energy than a 100W incandescent
bulb.

Read what was written.

What you probably mean is that they draw the same amount of
electrical current, but for instance a CFL rated at 23W is considered the
equivalent in light energy to a 100W tungsten bulb.

No, that's not what I meant, but it's a result of the same.

Now think of how dim a
25W incandescent bulb is an you have an idea of the difference in how much
of that energy is being lost as heat, not light, in a tungsten bulb.

You really need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

And you're playing with semantics. It was clear what DGDevin meant.
Communication is more than just taking every word
literally...especially in a newsgroup.

If that's the case, what he SAID and what he MEANT were worlds apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 06:06:04 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

[snip]

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide
heat in a small space.

Jon

I have a relative who uses 3 bulbs to keep plants in a small greenhouse
from freezing.

--
69 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I don't believe in god because I don't believe in Mother Goose." --
Clarence Darrow
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, you folks up north in Maryland, dunno how you stand the cold.
Y'all come back now, heah?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:16 -0500,

Up here, in the summer time we don't use lights much, and in the
winter we need the heat anyway - so what's wrong with incandescent
lighting? If I'm sitting reading in the evening and the lamp is giving
both heat and light I can be comfortable with the thermostat at a
lower setting as the lamp produces radiant heating - warming me in
it's beam without having to heat the whole house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess that the fluorescents put out less heat, and more light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message news
Nonsense. A 100W incandescent bulb will put out exactly the same heat
as a
100W fluorescent; 100W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:02:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'd guess that the fluorescents put out less heat, and more light.

Your guess would be wrong. Think about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'd guess that the fluorescents put out less heat, and more light.

Your guess would be wrong. *Think about it.

For a given input power, say 25 watts, the compact fluorescent puts
out more light energy than the 25 watt incandescent light bulb.
Unless there is a new law of thermodynamics, if the compact
fluorescent light puts out more light energy, it must put out less
heat energy. Now, we can argue the amount of the difference, but
there is a difference in the heat output between two 25 watt devices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

What I love doing is pointing out to my "kids" (18 - 24) how many of
"their" songs are remakes of songs from my generation. I love pointing
out to them that many of the artists that they listen to fit into one
of 2 groups:

Heh!

Around the office the young whipper-snappers had never heard of the concept
of a "Campaign Song."

So I go to my local music store and look virtually EVERYWHERE. In
desperation I approached the clerk with the least amount of metal in his
face and asked if he could help me find "The M.T.A." by the Kingston Trio.

"Cool, dude. Follow me."

He walked over to a rack, extended his hand without even looking, and
plucked the CD out of the bin. Exactly what I wanted.

You'll never guess the section in which it was filed. Wait for it now...
"Classics."

I was under the impression that "Classics" included, you know, Frank Sinatra
and Bing Crosby.