Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

On Oct 16, 11:15*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using *a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the frozen
north. *The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. *The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. *When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. *Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

In the heating season, I worry very much less about light bulbs
(incandescent) stayiong on when no one is going to be in the nearby
space for a period of time. WHen it is air-conditioning season, we
are very careful about leaving incandescent bulbs going any more than
necessary.