Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:37:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:34:04 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:15:16 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to provide heat
in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in the frozen
north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for the trailers had
insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs that were powered by the
camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The heat from those bulbs kept the
propane from turning into a gel and not flowing to the heaters.

The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as opposed to
light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint as to why such
bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we switched to CFLs our
electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power vs. pay less for power,
hmmmm, tough call.

Nonsense. A 100W incandescent bulb will put out exactly the same heat as a
100W fluorescent; 100W.

But (when it works) more light

In the closed box light isn't so important. Light = heat, very quickly.

Your "when it works" is an important point. When it's cold (i.e. when the
device is needed - "oil fields in the frozen north") the CFL won't.