Posted to alt.home.repair

Default And the Kitchen Sink

I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at
some time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink
cut outs? The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have
a granite tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything,
Kohler claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

You'd better at least have the exact new sink in mind, or some extra tile to
rebuild it when you can't find a sink that fits.

Any sink will chip, dent, or scratch if you punish it hard enough. I like my
cast iron sink, but the gloss is long gone, and the bottom needs frequent
scrubbing with barkeeper's friend to get rid of the discoloration and stains
from scrubbing pots in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 10:32*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
* The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

* *And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

* *Jeff

Your question is somewhat confusing.

You have a sink that you would like to replace "at some time", yet you
are asking about "more or less standard dimensions".

If you are planning to use your current sink, aren't you "more or
less" stuck with the dimensions of that sink?

Take a stroll through a couple of Google Image pages for Kitchen Sinks
and look at the vast selection of shapes and sizes.

Do you really want to limit yourself to only those sinks that will fit
into the cut-out size you make now?

Unless you are willing to limit your choices to something that will
fit whatever size opening you make right now, I strongly suggest that
pick a sink *now* and finish the job, even if that hurts the budget.

It'll either cost you more in the long run or you're going to have to
"settle" for something you aren't in love with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

Jeff

I purchased a stainless steel sink for my kitchen remodel on Ebay
months before I installed it. They of course come with a template for
making the cutout. I would have the sink before I did anything major to
the counter top if it were my kitchen, as they come in many different
configurations. By the way, I got a great deal on my sink. Like buying
anything on Ebay, you need to do your homework before you buy something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 7:32*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
* The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

* *And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

* *Jeff

Granite tile? Hope you like all that grout. It also makes it more
difficult to get an undermounted sink, which would optimal.

Aside from that, I'd go shopping on the net and on specialty plumbing
shops for the biggest single-basin stainless steel sink that will fit
in your cabinetry. Stainless is easy to keep nice looking (baking
soda & dish soap paste / acid-based cleaners) and is probably going to
outlast chip-prone cast iron. You will never regret having lots of
uninterrupted sink space with everything going into a garbage disposal
for fast clean-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 10:32*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
* The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

* *And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

* *Jeff

There does not seem to be any advantage to cutting the countertop
before you have the sink in hand.

JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 11:40*am, mike wrote:
[...]

"Hope you like all that grout"

Now that you've brought that up, could somebody explain to me why
anyone would want to use anything but a perfectly smooth surface for a
kitchen counter?

Why would you want to put yourself through all the extra work it
itakes to wipe down the counter? Why would you want to have to worry
about grout sealer upkeep to prevent grape juice and spaghetti sauce
stains?

Did you ever notice what they use in commercial kitchens, even the
highest end, trendy restaurants? They sure don't have grouted tile on
their prep surfaces. Ever wonder why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:

I purchased a stainless steel sink for my kitchen remodel on Ebay
months before I installed it. They of course come with a template for
making the cutout. I would have the sink before I did anything major
to the counter top if it were my kitchen, as they come in many
different configurations. By the way, I got a great deal on my sink.
Like buying anything on Ebay, you need to do your homework before you
buy something.

I see stainless steel sinks about three times a month on my local (large)
Craigslist. Usually in the fifty-dollar range. Over the past two years, I've
bought two ($25 and $35). Both came with single-lever faucets and spray
hoses.

I'm pleased with both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2010 11:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at
some time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink
cut outs? The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .

Yes, sinks are more or less a standard size. Which is not to say you can't
get one a different size. Best to decide on the sink you want and compare
the size to the sink you have. Naturally, you need a new sink that mounts
the same way...drop in (probable) vs under mount.

Well, I asked someone at Builders Surplus, who sells a lot of sinks and
the standard cutout is 32 x 21.

_____________

This will have a granite tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut
later.

Sure it will. To make the opening larger, at least.
________________

And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything,
Kohler claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

I've never heard of a cast iron sink that wasn't covered ib porcelain so I
assume that is what you are talking about. Those sinks are made by heating
the cast iron then blowing glass beads on it so they fuse (melt). They do
the same thing to steel sinks but those are much lighter and tinnier.

Porcelain will be scratched by aluminum oxide ("sand"paper, ruby and
sapphire) and diamonds. Maybe by quartz too, depending on the porcelain. It
won't be scratched by steel or anything else you are likely to have in the
kitchen.

That's good enough for me. I bought this:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...bcat egory=36

$179 at the Borg.

And sure enough the cutout they suggest is within an 1/8 of an inch
smaller.

Jeff

The Kitchen Sink CommanderCody Home Repair 13 November 12th 09 11:16 PM
Old kItchen sink Willie The Wimp Home Repair 2 June 17th 09 06:21 PM
Old kItchen sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 17th 09 03:35 AM
Can a single mixer kitchen tap be used on a double kitchen sink??? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 23rd 05 10:26 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM