Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default And the Kitchen Sink

On Oct 8, 11:40*am, mike wrote:
On Oct 8, 7:32*am, Jeff Thies wrote:

* *I've got my kitchen base cabinets made and need to cut out for the
sink. I have an old stainless sink, that I would like to replace at some
time. Are there any more or less standard dimensions for sink cut outs?
* The outside standard seems to be 33" x 22" .This will have a granite
tile top on it, so it won't be possible to recut later.

* *And about the sink, what kind? Aside from a double, cast iron,
stainless, or something else. I'm hard on just about everything, Kohler
claims their cast iron won't chip, but what about scratches?

* *Jeff

Granite tile? *Hope you like all that grout. *It also makes it more
difficult to get an undermounted sink, which would optimal.

Aside from that, I'd go shopping on the net and on specialty plumbing
shops for the biggest single-basin stainless steel sink that will fit
in your cabinetry. *Stainless is easy to keep nice looking (baking
soda & dish soap paste / acid-based cleaners) and is probably going to
outlast chip-prone cast iron. *You will never regret having lots of
uninterrupted sink space with everything going into a garbage disposal
for fast clean-up.

"Hope you like all that grout"

Now that you've brought that up, could somebody explain to me why
anyone would want to use anything but a perfectly smooth surface for a
kitchen counter?

Why would you want to put yourself through all the extra work it
itakes to wipe down the counter? Why would you want to have to worry
about grout sealer upkeep to prevent grape juice and spaghetti sauce
stains?

Did you ever notice what they use in commercial kitchens, even the
highest end, trendy restaurants? They sure don't have grouted tile on
their prep surfaces. Ever wonder why?