Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Religion

On Aug 27, 10:03*pm, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
On 08/27/2010 01:58 PM, h wrote: "Mysterious *wrote in message
Whether you choose to believe in God or not, one thing is true about the
Christian religion, it is a caring, helpful religion that has done a
lot of
good for humanity.

You're kidding, right?

I'm talking about the modern version of Christianity.

No less evil, misguided, and just plain dumb than it ever was. Some of the
sayings attributed to "Jesus" were just fine. None of those things exist
anywhere in Christianity.

I'm not saying you have to believe in God, Just believe in the good
that Christianity does. It helps a lot of people who would otherwise
suffer when thoughtless people refuse to offer a little help. When
with a little help their lives could improve and as a result,
everyones lives could be better. You might find yourself in a situation
someday where you need help and a little kindness from a caring person
could be just what you need to get by. That's what makes the Christian
religion better than Islam. Islam doesn't have any outreach programs for
people who need help. If one of them gets in a situation where their
life is messed up, they're shunned, banned, stoned to death, outcast, as
far as they care, you don't exist.

*The nature of life is People Make Mistakes*. Lets try to help those
less fortunate than ourselves, and set an example for other religions
and cultures to aspire to.

Support the people who are out there trying to make the world a
better place for everyone.

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

The problem yo are talking about arises from American society.
The religious aspect of it is one of the worst. Help is only offered
by these sects conditionally. A form of blackmail. As is all
missionary work.
In my experience the best people purport no religoin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 1:44*am, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
On 08/27/2010 07:07 PM, Not X wrote: On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:27:19 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

[snip]

Zero evidence? There were 700,000 eye-witnesses to God's manifestation
at Sinai, plus women, children, slaves, donkeys, and people who got on
the wrong bus. This phenomenon was finally written down in the Bible and
has remained unchanged for 3,000 years.

And ZERO evidence that book is anything other than propaganda...

BTW, if you're religious, I have no problem with that. It's those who
can't keep it to themselves that cause the problem.

[snip]

Trying to figure out if something actually happened 3,000 years ago
is difficult, if not impossible, until something conclusive actually
happens to prove one way or the other. I let people believe what they
want to believe as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or anything. If a
higher power did exist at that time, he did things that started
people on a path that after all this time has developed into groups
who want to make the world a better place without anything they can
put in their pocket to show for it. That's the kind of world I want
to live in. Faith gives people hope, and spirit to endure, what must
be endured.

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

Pretty convenient it happened 3000 years ago. With no evidence.
Like this Mormon book conveniently disappeared.
The modern miracles of science far surpass religious miracles.
Religion lives on an island of ignorance that is inhabited by the
credulous and simple minded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:15*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mysterious Traveler" wrote

I'm not saying you have to believe in God, Just believe in the good
that Christianity does. It helps a lot of people who would otherwise
suffer when thoughtless people refuse to offer a little help. When
with a little help their lives could improve and as a result,
everyones lives could be better.
Support the people who are out there trying to make the world a
better place for everyone.

That would be a little easier to take if it was not for the reality. *In the
news recently a couple of priests and ministers are arrested for embezzling
and/or misuse of church money. *I'm talking in the millions. *They you have
the priests with the little boys. *Not to say most priests are like that, a
couple have run off with the girlfriends and married. *In particular the one
that got a young girl he was counseling pregnant.

I just have run into too many hypocrites to get all warm and fuzzy about
Christians being better people than others. .

We have a priest over here that was involved in terrorism and the
manufacture of bombs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudy_bombing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:41*am, aemeijers wrote:
h wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
h wrote:

Umm, well, yeah, it's IMPOSSIBLE to respect religion and/or those who
"believe". Or to even take them seriously as adults. If you believe in
doG, you're a moron. I can't fix that. No one can fix stupid. Never said
I was a "great" thinker. Just a "thinker", as in, "my brain works".
Properly. Belief in doG is proof of no thought process whatsoever. Sorry.
It is what it is. Epic fail. doG...there was always one moron
"doG-believer" in every philosophy class I had to take for my first
masters degree. Every single one of them washed out. Dumb. Incapable of
rational thought. Annoying. Slowed down the whole class. Gone. Duh.
Respect doG believers? You MUST be kidding.
* * Well, let's see. * There is a list here
*http://www.adherents.com/people/100_scientists.html* * *or
*http://tinyurl.com/y3hmzb* * of scientists.
* Some have their religious affiliation listed. * Way at the bottom is a
list of scientists who are/were also Christians.

Duh. Morons all. PLONK!

Nah, just human. Can't remember the shrink name for it. 'Cognitive
dissonance' or something like that? *I've know several bible thumpers
over the years- very nice people for the most part, a few brilliant in
their career fields, but as soon as the subject turned to religion, all
the other compartments of the brain shut down, and they started spouting
the nonsense pounded into their unformed brain as a kid. I had a real
hard time once not breaking out laughing at a guy a worked with, when it
became clear he truly believed the crap about the earth only being 6400?
(or was it 4600?) years old. On normal subjects, including the stuff we
had to work on together, he was quite common-sense and practical. *I
quit talking with coworkers about religion after that.

(Side note- one of the many reasons I am not a big fan of
home-schooling. Although few parents in general are qualified to teach
their kids past second grade or so, the home-school population skews
pretty heavily toward the highly religious crowd. I have trouble
believing those kids are getting anything resembling a complete science
education.)

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

You might find this interesting.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-god-delusion
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 10:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mysterious Traveler" wrote

[...]

You seem to have SOME common sense and sanity about you (unlike h and
harry). We are all influenced by the outside world: internet; TV; the
printed word; and people we come in contact with. Essentially, our
minds haven't changed in hundreds of thousands of years...so now we
have time to think about things besides what might be ready to eat
us. We have developed into ego-centric demi-gods with little respect
for anything. There is more to life than ourselves. We can cite the
worst in people...or the best. We all have a choice...and to say
someone is stupid for what they believe is totally unproductive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message news:-
(Side note- one of the many reasons I am not a big fan of home-schooling.
Although few parents in general are qualified to teach their kids past
second grade or so, the home-school population skews pretty heavily toward
the highly religious crowd. I have trouble believing those kids are
getting anything resembling a complete science education.)

Oh yeah. It used to be (NY) that you had to have at least one masters to
home-school your kids. Now you don't even have to be a High School grad!
They published a home-school survey of our county last year, and 95% of the
families said they were fundamentalist Xtians, and had more than 3 (!) kids
being "schooled" at home. So...uneducated, delusional morons raising a whole
batch of uneducated, delusional morons. Fantastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:44:27 -0500, Mysterious Traveler wrote:

[snip]

Trying to figure out if something actually happened 3,000 years ago is
difficult, if not impossible, until something conclusive actually
happens to prove one way or the other.

You might notice I said nothing about any part of the bible being true or
not true. Propaganda has a style that's independent of truth.

I let people believe what they
want to believe as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or anything.

Strange. There's a different meaning foe "belief" here. I consider belief
to be a serious thing, that it depends on what (as far as I know) is
actually happening. "Wanting to believe" would be like wanting to have
brain damage (disruption to the ability to know things).

If a
higher power did exist at that time,

Perhaps. Some forms of a "higher power" are possible (but very unlikely
now). Some are contradictory (like the Christian idea with all those
"infinite" qualities) and can't exist.

BTW, we still have no evidence that one did exist, and what we do know
about the past is not consistent with one existing. Just a bunch of
people: some deluded, and others using delusion to manipulate people.

he did things that started people
on a path that after all this time has developed into groups who want to
make the world a better place without anything they can put in their
pocket to show for it.

There's no evidence for this (even if some "higher power" was present. It
could have tried to prevent that). People just want to live in a better
place, so they work toward it.

That's the kind of world I want to live in.

Without the delusions of higher powers (especially the anti-intellectual
ones like "doG".

Faith
gives people hope, and spirit to endure, what must be endured.

Faith in real things, yes.
Faith in delusions of omniscient mind-destroying monsters like "doG", no.

--
"I do not find in Christianity one redeeming feature." -- President
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Pretty convenient it happened 3000 years ago. With no evidence.

Supposedly (according to the believers), the supreme being is hiding it
all. This explains the humor about religion being an intelligence test.
Anyone who believes in god (with no available evidence) fails. That's the
way god wants it. He's deselecting the uninteresting people for Heaven.

Like
this Mormon book conveniently disappeared. The modern miracles of
science far surpass religious miracles.

I have a poster on the wall here. One side is labeled "science
discoveries" and lists a lot of things. The other side is labeled
"creation science discoveries" and is blank.

BTW, the poster is left over from the problems in Kansas schools.

Religion lives on an island of
ignorance that is inhabited by the credulous and simple minded.

Now I think of religion as an infectious mental disease. Good,
intelligent people can be infected, especially as young children who
haven't developed immunity yet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The attempt to force human beings to despise themselves...is what I
call hell" --Andre Malraux, La Condition Humaine
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

Now I think of religion as an infectious mental disease. Good,
intelligent people can be infected, especially as young children who
haven't developed immunity yet.

It was Loyola who said, "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give
you the man." Jesuits are particularly good at brainwashing because they
start on such young kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:23:38 -0400, "h" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message news:-
(Side note- one of the many reasons I am not a big fan of home-schooling.
Although few parents in general are qualified to teach their kids past
second grade or so, the home-school population skews pretty heavily toward
the highly religious crowd. I have trouble believing those kids are
getting anything resembling a complete science education.)

Oh yeah. It used to be (NY) that you had to have at least one masters to
home-school your kids. Now you don't even have to be a High School grad!
They published a home-school survey of our county last year, and 95% of the
families said they were fundamentalist Xtians, and had more than 3 (!) kids
being "schooled" at home. So...uneducated, delusional morons raising a whole
batch of uneducated, delusional morons. Fantastic.

And yet the kids of these "uneducated, delusional morons" consistently learn
more than the kids taught by the over-educated morons in public schools.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 28, 12:01*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

==
Yes, they consistently learn more narrow-minded bull**** about the
Earth being 60,000 years old and that mankind hung out with dinosaurs.
Ignorant parents teaching ignorant kids...the results are
predictable...more Jerry Falwell type clones. Yekkkkk.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:07:51 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

On Aug 28, 12:01*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Speaking of predictable, you Christian haters are the epitome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

These types are delusional people haters. Not just Christians
haters. They are missing something in life and want to blame someone.
It's very juvenile to look down on people and call them stupid. You
can at least raise yourself to the level of Carl Sagan or the like.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 28, 12:45*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:10*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

There is a difference between ignorant and stupid...learn the
difference.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:53*pm, Roy wrote:

==
There is a difference between ignorant and stupid...learn the
difference.

There are tons of PLONKED posters here who can't learn. They are
beyond that. Sad, but true. Just PLONK them and move on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In my experience the best people purport no religoin.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my experience the best people purport no religoin.- Hide quoted text -

No one with a working brain subscribes to any "religion". All of us
with working brains know this. "Religion" is an IQ test, and you
receive an "EPIC FAIL" if you believe in any sort of "doG-like-
imaginary-friend-construct". Just kill yourself, your infected family
members, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat. Until you are ALLLLLLL DEADDDDD.
Morons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

Zero evidence? There were 700,000 eye-witnesses to God's
manifestation at Sinai, plus women, children, slaves, donkeys, and
people who got on the wrong bus. This phenomenon was finally written
down in the Bible and has remained unchanged for 3,000 years.

As such, it has as much accuracy and believability as, for example,
the New York Times!

No, wait...- Hide quoted text -

Aha. Spouting you usual ill-informed ********.
Several hundred years after Christ, variourious synods of Antioch were
convened. Here the bible was edited and re-written. Large parts were
removed as they didn't fit in with then current predjudices. (For
example Jesus' female disciples.)
Extra-ordinary efforts were made to round up and destroy copies of the
bible deemed heretical. (And individuals). Neverthe less some have
come down to us in part .
There may be original copies of the bible in the vatican library but
htey ain't saying.
So the bible is just a bunch of medieval crap and predjudice.
As is Christianity that is based on it Esp. the Roman Catholic church
which was responsible for these lies.
The bible thumpers of the USA have just made religion into a well paid
career/business. Only the credulous and simple minded subscribe to
such bigoted lies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synod_of_Antioch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_Gospels

I wasn't referring to the New Testament. You'll note I said "700,000
eyewitnesses to God's manifestation at SINAI [emphasis added]". That event
took place shortly after Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt and perhaps a
thousand years before the events you describe.

Before you assert Biblical history, perhaps you should learn some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That would be a little easier to take if it was not for the reality. In
the news recently a couple of priests and ministers are arrested
for embezzling and/or misuse of church money. I'm talking in the
millions. They you have the priests with the little boys. Not to
say most priests are like that, a couple have run off with the
girlfriends and married. In particular the one that got a young girl
he was counseling pregnant.
I just have run into too many hypocrites to get all warm and fuzzy
about Christians being better people than others. .

As we are so often told, weather is not climate, nor are a handful of
pastors religion.

And hypocrisy gets a bad rap: Ninety-plus percent of gynecologists are men.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Hate is a destructive emotion. It's easy to see why they're life's losers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Not a matter of hate, and put away the broad brush. Religion is for
people who can't stand reality. An adult who knowingly chooses that
path, well, they had their chance. But to subject a kid to a biased
education free from significant aspects of modern science, well, that is
doing the kid no favors. Hopefully the kid will be bright enough to pick
it up on their own, or actually read all the books on the state-mandated
curriculum many states now have, in spite of their parental unit saying
it is wrong. I don't hate bible-thumpers- I feel sorry for them. They
miss so much, looking at life trough a narrow prism. You can be kind to
others and all that stuff without needing a mythology to justify it or
require it. Pragmatism suffices- 'play nice with others' is less work
than other ways of going through life. Or for the cynical, enlightened
self interest- you help somebody out when they are in a bind, maybe next
time you are between a rock and a hard place, they will remember and
help you out, or at least not go out of their way to harm you. (That
last sentence is why I am in favor of foreign aid oriented toward
self-help- seed and gardening tools and rural clinics and schools and
such, versus piles of money handed to the usually-corrupt PTB in
whatever backwater country. )

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message F

Funny, I used to think you were a total douche, but your stance on
"religion" has completely changed my mind. Maybe being relegated to
GoogleGroups for awhile was a good thing! UNPLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:36:55 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

It *is* a matter of hate. Just read what these people say here.

Religion is for
people who can't stand reality. An adult who knowingly chooses that
path, well, they had their chance. But to subject a kid to a biased
education free from significant aspects of modern science, well, that is
doing the kid no favors.

Strawman.

Hopefully the kid will be bright enough to pick
it up on their own, or actually read all the books on the state-mandated
curriculum many states now have, in spite of their parental unit saying
it is wrong. I don't hate bible-thumpers- I feel sorry for them.

....as they do for you.

They
miss so much, looking at life trough a narrow prism. You can be kind to
others and all that stuff without needing a mythology to justify it or
require it. Pragmatism suffices- 'play nice with others' is less work
than other ways of going through life. Or for the cynical, enlightened
self interest- you help somebody out when they are in a bind, maybe next
time you are between a rock and a hard place, they will remember and
help you out, or at least not go out of their way to harm you. (That
last sentence is why I am in favor of foreign aid oriented toward
self-help- seed and gardening tools and rural clinics and schools and
such, versus piles of money handed to the usually-corrupt PTB in
whatever backwater country. )

It could just as easily be argued that you're toe one looking at life through
a narrow prism, a bigoted narrow prism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 1:07*pm, Roy wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:01*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

You are very narrow in your example of Christians. The vast majority
do not believe the Earth is 60,000 years old.
The Christians take examples and teachings from the Old Testament but
rely on the New Testament for its basis.
Some of you are clearly prejudiced and distort your words and lives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
Not a matter of hate, and put away the broad brush. Religion is for people
who can't stand reality. An adult who knowingly chooses that path, well,
they had their chance. But to subject a kid to a biased education free
from significant aspects of modern science, well, that is doing the kid no
favors. Hopefully the kid will be bright enough to pick it up on their
own, or actually read all the books on the state-mandated curriculum many
states now have, in spite of their parental unit saying it is wrong. I
don't hate bible-thumpers- I feel sorry for them.

I did have 12 years of Catholic education, but I never seemed to "get it".
I take a bit of a different approach. I don't like organized religion.
Great fund raiser, but not much else.

I'm rather open minded on other matters. Is there a Supreme Being?
Possible, no one has proven either way. Ever have an Ant Farm when you were
a kid? Is life on earth (including humans) nothing more than the ant farm
of some higher power? Has that higher power visited us in the form of some
alien? Is there life on another planet? Given the size and complexity of
the universe, it is impossible to rule that out. That life could be far
different than what we know or can comprehend, superior intelligence
perhaps. Or not.

Are you dead when you die? I've seen some unexplained things that keep my
mind open to other possibilities. I don't know what all they may be, but so
far they have not asked me for donations in a weekly collection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2010 10:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote
[...]

Considering there are more people getting drunk, drugging, stealing,
and every other crime that never set foot in a church, I'll stay
with church.

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You might find yourself in a situation
someday where you need help and a little kindness from a caring person
could be just what you need to get by. That's what makes the Christian
religion better than Islam. Islam doesn't have any outreach programs for
people who need help. If one of them gets in a situation where their
life is messed up, they're shunned, banned, stoned to death, outcast, as
far as they care, you don't exist.

While I'm not a lover of any organized religion (especially Islam), I'm
afraid I've got to call you out on this last statement. One of Islam's
"five pillars" (the third one) is all about charity:

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/46/

"Giving charity to those who deserve it is part of Muslim character and
one of the Five Pillars of Islamic practice. Zakat is viewed as “compulsory
charity”; it is an obligation for those who have received their wealth from
God to respond to those members of the community in need."

Islam did not begin compulsory charity. Judaism has the tzedakah which both
obligates the wealthy to give to the poor and affirms the right of the poor
to receive these gifts. It is more a duty than an option. The Jews are
supposed to gave to all those in need, both neighbors and strangers. In
both religions (not surprisingly since they are descendants of Abraham) it
was your duty, if blessed, to bless others - to give away some of what God
gave to you.

When Christ came along, he broadened the original Jewish view of charity.
The needs of the poor became the responsibility of everyone, not just the
wealthy. Many consider this the birth of modern social welfare, both public
and private.
When Islam was born, Jewish and Christian philosophy heavily influenced
early Muslim thought. The Muslims divided charitable giving into two types:
the compulsory giving (zakat) and voluntary giving (sadaqah) for social
welfare.

That said, I still worry profoundly about the aspects of Islamic culture
that are at loggerheads with our own beliefs, particularly freedom of
speech. We can show a South Park episode making fun of Jesus with little
fanfare, but when Mohammed is ridiculed, fanatical Muslims go on killing
sprees. The issue now is that we've allowed enough Muslims into the country
to make it a problem that has very few good solutions. Remember, though, a
lot of Muslims are here to escape the fanatical regimes of their home lands.
Many have been of great assistance in tracking down their hard-core brethren
because they know fanatics are a threat to them as well as us non-Muslims.

I believe that most Muslims, like most Christians, are very, very
uncomfortable at seeing disparaging representations of their spiritual
leaders, but they wouldn't kill over it. It's the idiotic few that make
trouble for the rest. I do have a great fear that all this hatred will
become the foundation for a third WW. We've repeated Vietnam, we've come
awfully close to repeating the Great Depression. WWIII could easily be the
next on this list of "stupid things humanity does repeatedly." It's why I'd
much rather find a way to iron out our differences peacefully. There have
been long epochs of peace in the world - but it takes determination to
achieve such peace.

What worries me the most is how easily people use terms like "the war on
terror" as if it were a real war. Real wars are the ones where you wake up
in the morning wondering whether you and your family will be dragged out of
your house and be shot that day, or be dragged off to a resettlement camp or
find yourselves with new, unelected leaders determined to eventually drive
you from your homes and quite possibly to your graves.

Real war is men and women eating rats and sawdust bread during the siege of
Stalingrad. It's V1 and V2 rockets and waves of heavy bombers flying over
Britain, night after night, killing thousands and terrorizing millions.
Real war is having your entire city (Dresden, Hiroshima, London, Berlin or
Tokyo) nearly burned to the ground. Real war is losing everything you hold
dear: your family, your possessions, your house, your town, your country
and your entire way of life. Despite Pearl Harbor, the WTC and even the
British invasion and burning of the Whitehouse, the US has NOT experienced
the worst effects of real war. We've always managed to fight them on
someone ELSE'S home ground.

Ask an elderly Russian, Brit, German, Japanese person about the horrors of
war. When I see History Channel shows about WWII, I am always amazed at how
these old soldiers still choke up in tears when they remember the horror of
a real war. How they cry like babies when they think of young friends who
fought and died by their side. Dead friends who never had the chance to
build a life, a family or a career because they got their heads blown off on
some dinky little South Pacific island covered in black sand and worthless,
except as a grave for thousands of poor kids from Brooklyn, from Omaha, from
little towns and farms all across the country. I always wonder who died out
there in those bug-infested jungles: The guy who would have cured cancer?
The guy who would have discovered a new, pollution free energy source? The
next Abraham Lincoln? We'll never know for sure, but based on how many
already successful people died in the war, we've certainly robbed ourselves
of at least a few great men.

I wasn't really a peacenik until I married an Army reservist. Now that I've
met a lot of her friends I realize that people who are willing to die to
protect our country and way of life are a precious resource that we
shouldn't squander chasing shadows or acting out political agendas.
Contrary to the insane assertions I've read here that "people join the
military to kill, kill, kill", my wife joined to help, help, help and became
an expert at civil affairs and rebuilding war-ravaged countries. I've seen
her cry for days on end when someone in her unit or an old friend is killed.
Many of them were fellow Reservists, away from their "day job" here in the
states and definitely not special operators straight out of a Hollywood
movie, anxious to die in glory. They weren't even professional soldiers.
They were managers, cops, welders, nurses and engineers who had joined to be
emergency "muscle" but turned out to be primary war fighters in the new
all-volunteer Army. Sorry to hit you with this sermon, but it's been
simmering for a while since I read those comments about "they volunteered,
so it's OK for them to die."

The Pakistan floods, as terrible as they are, represent an enormous
opportunity to reach out to Islam and show that we know how to help.
Nothing builds allies more than offering a hand to people when they are so
deeply in need. That's REAL nation building, not forcing democracy on
people from the barrel of a gun. South Korea treats at least some American
veterans of the Korean conflict better than we do.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 5:12*am, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
[...]

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart- Hide quoted text -

Source of your statistics?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote

Considering there are more people getting drunk, drugging, stealing,
and every other crime that never set foot in a church, I'll stay
with church.

To me, it's merely a dark versus light/good versus evil thing. If everyone
would just try to do the right thing, this world would improve in about
twenty minutes.

For me to state that there is no God, and that my belief is the only true
and correct view of life that there is and can be is vanity. It is equally
as ludicrous to tell others that they are following the "wrong" religion,
and will all go to hell for it.

What if ..... after we die, and get in front of the Great Auditor, and find
out that the only true and correct religion was the one that worships cows,
and that we get an extra 10,000 for every cheeseburger we've ever eaten?

It's like this. I believe in God because of all the things I have seen in
my life, and the things that have happened to me, and they weren't all great
things. But I do know that after I die, I'm going off in a better direction
than those who say they know all the secrets of the universe because their
brains are so large and well developed and that there is no God, blah, blah,
blah.

And anyway, religion is what you do the other 167 hours a week.

And if I get up there, or just fade to black when I do die, and there is no
God, at least I won't have eternity to rue the decision to accept a God when
I had the chance, but knew too much to do so. And while I do live here, I
get the chance to do the right thing versus the wrong thing when given the
choice every few seconds, and that my life is better than if I was doing the
wrong thing all the time, and hanging around with all the bad people. Man,
those people work so hard at it, they could make lots of money if they
worked that hard at anything else.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
(snip)
And if I get up there, or just fade to black when I do die, and there is no
God, at least I won't have eternity to rue the decision to accept a God when
I had the chance, but knew too much to do so. And while I do live here, I
get the chance to do the right thing versus the wrong thing when given the
choice every few seconds, and that my life is better than if I was doing the
wrong thing all the time, and hanging around with all the bad people. Man,
those people work so hard at it, they could make lots of money if they
worked that hard at anything else.

So why does doing the right thing require believing in a God, and
supporting a church, and getting up early on Sunday? I try to play nice
with others and to do the right thing just because that is the easiest
way to go through life.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 8/28/2010 10:12 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I doubt the percentage of people exhibiting those traits is any better
among churchgoers. Offer some proof, or I will assume you are arguing
from false (or certainly, at least, unproven) premises.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 5:53*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Steve B wrote:

(snip)

[...]

If you can understand a support group then you have an idea what a
church community is like. Family and friends are there as an example
and maybe you can be an example to others.
Doing right doesn't need to be a thought process...it can be an
instant, inspired act.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
(snip)
[...]

I am not the one you have to explain ANYTHING to. If there is no God, it
won't matter. If there is, you'll have to explain it to Him. The bible
does say that faith alone and works alone and faith plus works alone won't
get you into heaven.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cjt" wrote in message
[...]

Faith is believing in things you can't see. No proof is required.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 8/29/2010 7:10 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 29, 5:53 pm, wrote:
Steve B wrote:

(snip)

[...]

So it's just an excuse to act as a support group? They why the god stuff?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 8/29/2010 8:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/28/2010 10:12 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
On 08/27/2010 10:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Mysterious wrote
[...]

That's a copout. You could have faith that there is NO god.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:34*am, cjt wrote:
On 8/29/2010 7:10 PM, Bob Villa wrote:

On Aug 29, 5:53 pm, *wrote:
Steve B wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Excuse is your word...mine would be choice. God is there because He
said He would be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cjt" wrote in message

So it's just an excuse to act as a support group? They why the god stuff?

Simple. They are incapable of doing the right thing just because it's right.
They need the fear of doG to be "scared" into doing the right thing because
they have no character or moral code. Mindless zombie robots all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 8:19*am, "h" wrote:
"cjt" wrote in message

So it's just an excuse to act as a support group? *They why the god stuff?

Simple. They are incapable of doing the right thing just because it's right.
They need the fear of doG to be "scared" into doing the right thing because
they have no character or moral code. Mindless zombie robots all.

Relax, take a few deep breaths...now empty your mind. Laxative works
wonders!

Cheaper True Religion Jeans - True Religion Mens Jeans Discount su UK diy 0 September 7th 09 07:17 AM
The True Religion hamada Home Repair 3 May 12th 08 03:21 AM
The true religion [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 31st 08 08:11 PM
The true religion Ahmedd Home Repair 0 March 17th 08 07:04 AM
The true religion Ahmedd Home Repair 5 March 17th 08 12:00 AM