Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wikileaks

I see the CIA is after the Wikileaks man.
First he is accused of rape & then the charge is withdrawn.
They'll think of something else.

Steve Walker wrote:
The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Steve Walker wrote:

*The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

*Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

Yeah, they were bound to cook up something. Hope he can keep ahead of
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

Yeah, they were bound to cook up something. Hope he can keep ahead of
them.

===========

If the CIA does as good a job as they did with their WMD "findings", Assange
has nothing to worry about. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

Yeah, they were bound to cook up something. Hope he can keep ahead of
them.

===========

If the CIA does as good a job as they did with their WMD "findings", Assange
has nothing to worry about. :-)

Farm it out to The Mossad, they'll stop him.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

There's no reason to stop him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message

They'll think up something else.

Perhaps, although Sweden doesn't seem like the kind of place with a
government that would carry water for the CIA. It's also possible there
were grounds for the allegations. Scott Ritter claimed charges that he went
online to arrange a meeting with someone he thought was an underage girl
(but who was really a cop) were due to his criticism of the Bush
administration's decision to invade Iraq. Presumably that claim has
somewhat less credibility since last year he was busted for the same
activity a third time.

Approval of someone's politics shouldn't make us assume that any charge
against that person must be false. Assange isn't exactly a saint; although
hackers might think of themselves as folk heroes even when they're breaking
the law. But he gets the same presumption of innocence as anyone, and since
the charges have been withdrawn he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

I was being fecesious[sic].

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

That's what I'm thinking. Or the Russians. They would have killed
him with radioactive material or rican by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Poisoned Rice Krispies? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

*Steve Walker wrote:

*The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

*Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

This relates to home repair how?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

ricin (with raisins)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

This relates to home repair how?

Joe

It's from "OT" Harry. Didn't you notice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Walker wrote:

The pressure to shut Wikileaks down has been immense, how very
convenient that this allegation should now come to light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047025
*
*

Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and
molestation...
*
*
Warrant cancelled without explanation......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

They'll think up something else.

Yeah, they were bound to cook up something. *Hope he can keep ahead of
them.

===========

If the CIA does as good a job as they did with their WMD "findings", Assange
has nothing to worry about. :-)

I see where the Swedes backed off; dropped the "charges". Be
interesting to be privy to the diplomatic goings-on behind the scenes!
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
I see the CIA is after the Wikileaks man.
First he is accused of rape & then the charge is withdrawn.
They'll think of something else.

Yes, they probably will.

Our Secretary of State said "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2010 9:20 AM harry spake thus:

I see the CIA is after the Wikileaks man.
First he is accused of rape & then the charge is withdrawn.
They'll think of something else.

Ackshooly, it's the Pentagon, not the CIA, from what I read (though it's
hard to believe they don't have their dirty fingerprints all over this
one too).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2010 2:04 PM DGDevin spake thus:

Approval of someone's politics shouldn't make us assume that any charge
against that person must be false. Assange isn't exactly a saint; although
hackers might think of themselves as folk heroes even when they're breaking
the law. But he gets the same presumption of innocence as anyone, and since
the charges have been withdrawn he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Just curious what you know about Assange that makes you say he's "not
exactly a saint". I ask out of ignorance, as I don't know much about the
guy; I'm planning on doing some research online but haven't done so yet.

I do consider him a hero for what he's done. This doesn't mean, of
course, that he doesn't have flaws or imperfections, as you alluded to.
But to me it's the important things that people do, not the picayune
human foibles they may be subject to, that matter in the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

There's no reason to stop him.- Hide quoted text -

So, you're OK with this scum freely handing out classified information
that helps the enemy, puts US and coaltion soldiers at risk and will
likely cost Afghan civilians their lives? He should wind up doing 20
years in jail along with the private that is the likely source of the
information, who at least is in the brig awaiting trial. And if he
had a mysterious accident along the way, that might be a good thing
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 1:53*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/21/2010 2:04 PM DGDevin spake thus:

Approval of someone's politics shouldn't make us assume that any charge
against that person must be false. *Assange isn't exactly a saint; although
hackers might think of themselves as folk heroes even when they're breaking
the law. *But he gets the same presumption of innocence as anyone, and since
the charges have been withdrawn he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Just curious what you know about Assange that makes you say he's "not
exactly a saint". I ask out of ignorance, as I don't know much about the
guy; I'm planning on doing some research online but haven't done so yet.

I do consider him a hero for what he's done.

This scum freely handed out classified information
that helps the enemy, puts US and coaltion soldiers at risk and will
likely cost Afghan civilians their lives and to you he's a hero? He
should wind up doing 20
years in jail along with the private that is the likely source of the
information, who at least is in the brig awaiting trial. It is a
good window into your value system though.

This doesn't mean, of
course, that he doesn't have flaws or imperfections, as you alluded to.
But to me it's the important things that people do, not the picayune
human foibles they may be subject to, that matter in the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Aug 21, 4:26 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Let's call his deeds "Reason #3" for all these bad things which may happen.
I don't see Reason #3 as being any worse than reasons #1 and #2. If I need
to explain those other reasons, you're not qualified to speak about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

-snip-

So, you're OK with this scum freely handing out classified information
that helps the enemy, puts US and coaltion soldiers at risk and will
likely cost Afghan civilians their lives? He should wind up doing 20
years in jail along with the private that is the likely source of the
information, who at least is in the brig awaiting trial. And if he
had a mysterious accident along the way, that might be a good thing
too.

===========

Let's call his deeds "Reason #3" for all these bad things which may happen.
I don't see Reason #3 as being any worse than reasons #1 and #2. If I need
to explain those other reasons, you're not qualified to speak about this.

Assange is the lowest of the low. For nothing other than personal
gain he has jeopardized hundreds, or thousands of lives, and made the
entire mission of the US in Afghanistan a more difficult one.

He compare these leaks to the Pentagon papers, yet, other than the
specifics, which were deleted from public reports to save lives, there
is nothing new in these papers.

There is nothing to be gained by his leaks and heavily edited videos
other than his own self-aggrandizement.

He is scum.

Jim
[and if we need 'qualifications' - I'll cite my 1 year of combat
experience and 3 years of holding a Top Secret clearance--- What do
you bring to the table?]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

-snip-

[...]

My tax returns. I paid for one war which was fought incorrectly, and another
which was undertaken based on faith, which has no place in foreign policy.

We are still paying for the war which was fought incorrectly, and I'm not
talking about money in this sentence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

It's goals vs. process. In the main, liberals are after the results -
methods be damned, "the end justifies the means" type of thinking.
Conservatives look first at the method, "no good can come from an immoral
act."

To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing understanding),
so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 8:48*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

-snip-

[...]

talking about money in this sentence.- Hide quoted text -

So, following your logic, it's then up to every individual to
personally decide when it's OK to ignore law and hand over classified
information. Just because you think a war was fought incorrectly
doesn't give you any special rights. The Rosenbergs thought that the
USSR deserved to have US nuclear secrets. They got what they
deserved.

In the case of scum Assange, he published the names of Afghans who
were helping and working with the USA and coalition forces. What do
you think that does for their life expectancy? But if one bomb aimed
at a valid target missed it's mark and killed some Afghan civilians by
mistake, you'd be here blaming the USA for being satan, wouldn't you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

-snip-

[...]

=============

No (answering your last question). You make too many assumptions based on
what you hear from Hush Bimbo the mattress salesman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 1:17*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 21, 4:26 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

.. .

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message
-snip-

[...]

mistake, you'd be here blaming the USA for being satan, wouldn't you?- Hide quoted text -

The USA IS the Great Satan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 21, 4:26 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

The information is years old & of no benifit to anyone.
Except it's interesting to know what war crimes the USA has been
commiting. Reasons to ut Bush and Bliar on tial.

===========

Bush was too dumb to blame for this. Wolfowitz & Rumsfeld should be the
first in the pillories. Wolfowitz in particular is like a tumor that won't
go away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:44:41 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Assange is the lowest of the low. For nothing other than personal
gain he has jeopardized hundreds, or thousands of lives, and made the
entire mission of the US in Afghanistan a more difficult one.

Bull****. I'd be impressed if you could name a *single* life affected
by the leak. Other than politicians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Assange is the lowest of the low. For nothing other than personal
gain he has jeopardized hundreds, or thousands of lives, and made the
entire mission of the US in Afghanistan a more difficult one.

Bull****. I'd be impressed if you could name a *single* life affected
by the leak. Other than politicians.

Hopefully, it will affect the lives of the clowns who didn't implement the
best possible incryption. Probably the same types of clowns who let this
happen:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009...curity-breach/

I love it when my tax dollars pay for nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:44:41 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Assange is the lowest of the low. For nothing other than personal
gain he has jeopardized hundreds, or thousands of lives, and made the
entire mission of the US in Afghanistan a more difficult one.

Bull****. I'd be impressed if you could name a *single* life affected
by the leak. Other than politicians.

How has it affected a single politician? What was the *new* news in
them- other than the specifics that had been redacted to save lives?

Don't you think that every Afghani civilian who was courageous enough
to provide info to the Americans and was named in those documents is
in danger-- along with his family?

Many of those civilians who are just acting as interpreters don't even
let their families know what they are doing.

There were also operational procedures that were included in the
documents that tip our hand, make intel gathering more difficult, and
could cost American lives.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Just curious what you know about Assange that makes you say he's "not
exactly a saint".

He's a hacker, a convicted hacker at that (early 90s). He also wrote
software that allows hackers to search for insecure computer systems they
can exploit. He considers hacking a victimless crime provided the hackers
don't damage the computer systems they access (illegally)--that and the
apparent paranoia in which he has lived for a couple of decades make him
seem a bit brittle to me, if you know what I mean by that. It's also worth
noting that only one of the complaints of sexual misconduct brought against
him in Sweden has been dropped. I read one news story in which one of the
two woman who made complaints against him described him as having a "skewed"
attitude towards women and of not knowing how to take no for an answer.

I ask out of ignorance, as I don't know much about the guy; I'm planning
on doing some research online but haven't done so yet.

I do consider him a hero for what he's done. This doesn't mean, of course,
that he doesn't have flaws or imperfections, as you alluded to. But to me
it's the important things that people do, not the picayune human foibles
they may be subject to, that matter in the end.

Don't get me wrong, IMO "Question Authority" should be printed on everyone's
birth certificate. I think Wikileaks has served the public interest on many
occasions, in general Wikileaks strikes me as a good idea. But that doesn't
mean anyone who twists the establishment's tail gets a free pass for
anything else he's done.

There is also a responsibility not to do harm in releasing
information--Philip Agee comes to mind here. If people working with the
govt. and NATO in Afghanistan end up dead as a result of Wikileaks releasing
files that identify those people, then I don't see how Wikileaks doesn't
have blood on its hands.

Here's a good article:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

This scum freely handed out classified information
that helps the enemy, puts US and coaltion soldiers at risk and will
likely cost Afghan civilians their lives and to you he's a hero? He
should wind up doing 20
years in jail along with the private that is the likely source of the
information, who at least is in the brig awaiting trial. It is a
good window into your value system though.

That information is classified is meaningless--the posted announcement that
the officers mess dining hall will be closed Monday afternoon so the floor
can be waxed is a classified document, pretty much everything the military
puts on paper is classified at some level. Gazillions of documents end up
classified not because they need to be secret, but because that's how
bureaucrats do things, and sometimes they do it to cover their asses.

I agree that if people die because Wikileaks released documents identifying
those people then Wikileaks should be held to account for that. Believing
that your cause is just does is not a blank check to do anything you please,
although I suspect that is not a view Mr. Assange holds based on his
history.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

It's goals vs. process. In the main, liberals are after the results -
methods be damned, "the end justifies the means" type of thinking.
Conservatives look first at the method, "no good can come from an immoral
act."

What a painfully simplistic analysis, not to mention hopelessly biased.

To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing
understanding), so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.

You mean like the loss of 4,400+ American lives (not to mention those of
allies and Iraqis) for the goal of finding WMDs that didn't exist? Just how
immoral an act is starting a war on false pretenses?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2010 8:21 AM, harry wrote:
On Aug 23, 1:55 pm, wrote:
On Aug 23, 8:48 am,
wrote:

"Jim wrote in message

wrote in message
-snip-

[...]

Hissssssssss!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing
understanding), so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.

You mean like the loss of 4,400+ American lives (not to mention those
of allies and Iraqis) for the goal of finding WMDs that didn't exist?
Just how immoral an act is starting a war on false pretenses?

We NEED a war every ten to fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear sharp.

Those that died were, to the man or woman, volunteers. They signed up
knowing the risk of death or serious injury, much like a mountain climber,
sky diver, race car driver, or Ralph, the guy who married my ex-wife. They
assumed these risks for the opportunity to kill people and blow things up
(Ralph, are you listening?).

It is, of course, regrettable that they died, but they died doing something
they loved. Fully 85% of those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan
re-enlisted at the first opportunity. (The remaining 15% retired, were
invalided out, or married harridans.)

These folks are our warrior class. Waging war is what they were born to do,
what they trained to do, what they NEED to do. They do it for their
country's sake, for their family's sake, for honor's sake, for glory's sake.

This is something the cowards that dwell among us cannot understand and will
not accept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

And we have a winner! Way too much stuff is classified, including stuff
that has no legitimate reason to be. Perhaps if they only classified
stuff that really needed to be, people would take it more seriously?

(And yes, I have seen my share of red-bordered cover sheets and login
screens...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
DGDevin wrote:

To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing
understanding), so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.

You mean like the loss of 4,400+ American lives (not to mention those
of allies and Iraqis) for the goal of finding WMDs that didn't exist?
Just how immoral an act is starting a war on false pretenses?

We NEED a war every ten to fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear
sharp.

That's cool. But we need new rules. Any elected slob who votes for a war -
all their eligible living relatives go into combat first, and they're given
the most dangerous possible jobs. The ones no soldier wants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
DGDevin wrote:
To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing
understanding), so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.
You mean like the loss of 4,400+ American lives (not to mention those
of allies and Iraqis) for the goal of finding WMDs that didn't exist?
Just how immoral an act is starting a war on false pretenses?

We NEED a war every ten to fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear
sharp.

That's cool. But we need new rules. Any elected slob who votes for a war -
all their eligible living relatives go into combat first, and they're given
the most dangerous possible jobs. The ones no soldier wants.

Why make the relatives suffer just because they are unlucky enough to
have a politician in the family? I say we bring back the custom of the
kings and general leading from the front lines.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
DGDevin wrote:
To liberals, ending the war is the goal (for reasons passing
understanding), so the loss of a few lives is irrelevant.
You mean like the loss of 4,400+ American lives (not to mention those
of allies and Iraqis) for the goal of finding WMDs that didn't exist?
Just how immoral an act is starting a war on false pretenses?
We NEED a war every ten to fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear
sharp.

That's cool. But we need new rules. Any elected slob who votes for a
war - all their eligible living relatives go into combat first, and
they're given the most dangerous possible jobs. The ones no soldier
wants.

Why make the relatives suffer just because they are unlucky enough to have
a politician in the family?

Because I like the idea of treating our elected slobs and their families to
as much heartbreak as possible. I'm nasty that way. I'd add one thing: No
formal visit from the military if a senator's relative is killed in combat.
Instead, they'd get a post card from Disneyworld, inscribed on the back with
"Hi! Your daughter's dead! Have a nice day."

Our elected slobs need to start taking responsibility for their decisions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

What a repugnant interpretation. So the lives of thousands of young
Americans can be thrown away for what was at best a mistake, at worst a
calculated lie. And you figure that's okay because the bravery of those who
died somehow excuses their pointless sacrifice. Presumably the tens of
thousands wounded (physically and mentally) and the enormous damage to the
military, the national economy, and national prestige around the world would
also be dismissed as insignificant. Needless to say those who dismiss such
a waste of life are safe at home, in no danger of being sent overseas
themselves. What's that phrase? Ah yes, "chicken hawk"--someone who is
never dismayed by the spilling of other people's blood during the sharpening
of that spear....