Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wikileaks

DGDevin wrote:
wrote in message

This scum freely handed out classified information
that helps the enemy, puts US and coaltion soldiers at risk and will
likely cost Afghan civilians their lives and to you he's a hero? He
should wind up doing 20
years in jail along with the private that is the likely source of the
information, who at least is in the brig awaiting trial. It is a
good window into your value system though.

That information is classified is meaningless--the posted announcement
that the officers mess dining hall will be closed Monday afternoon so
the floor can be waxed is a classified document, pretty much everything
the military puts on paper is classified at some level. Gazillions of
documents end up classified not because they need to be secret, but
because that's how bureaucrats do things, and sometimes they do it to
cover their asses.

I agree that if people die because Wikileaks released documents
identifying those people then Wikileaks should be held to account for
that. Believing that your cause is just does is not a blank check to do
anything you please, although I suspect that is not a view Mr. Assange
holds based on his history.

And we have a winner! Way too much stuff is classified, including stuff
that has no legitimate reason to be. Perhaps if they only classified
stuff that really needed to be, people would take it more seriously?

(And yes, I have seen my share of red-bordered cover sheets and login
screens...)

--
aem sends...