Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Drains

I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 2:16*am, Kate wrote:
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

unless the sinks are high end pedastals or something.

if you remodeling a room just replace it all..........

otherwise minor issues with reused stuff looks bad, and detracts from
the entire job
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

There is always a risk but in most cases with careful work it is minimal.
The greatest risk is in the removal of the old. Treat with Liquid wrench or
similar, let it sit a day or two then carefully remove the old unit. Clean
well before installing the new; plastic and liquid wrench don't play well
together.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 8:05*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

There is always a risk but in most cases with careful work it is minimal.
The greatest risk is in the removal of the old. *Treat with Liquid wrench or
similar, let it sit a day or two then carefully remove the old unit. *Clean
well before installing the new; plastic and liquid wrench don't play well
together.

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Hi Kate:

We've missed you for a few weeks. With everything that you have been
doing, the sink drains should be easy. I would suggest going to a big
hardware store and look at the various pieces of plumbing for drains.
All of them will have a rubber gasket on the bottom side of the drain
to help seal them against leaking. You put the drain pipe thru the
sink opening, with some sealer (I use sikicone rubber) on the bottom
of the tailpiece that goes inside the sink, then put on the gasket and
the securing nut and push them up to the threaded portion of the tail
piece and tighten snugly, The sealant should be squishing out a
little at both the top and bottom. Wipe of the excess and finish
conecting the remaining pipes and turn on the water. It really is
easy and you should be able to do it in well uner an hour. Use the
pieces you remove to size the replacement pipes. Unless a goriila
installed your present pipes, undoing the nuts and removing the old
pipes should not be difficult, unless the house is 100 years old. Do
what Colby suggests if the old pipes don't remove easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 10:41*am, Alexander Riehm
wrote:
On Aug 19, 8:05*am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message

[...]

what Colby suggests if the old pipes don't remove easily.- Hide quoted text -

Unless there is something very unusual it's very easy to replace the
drains, especially when they have to be removed anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have found on disassembly that
rust, corrosion, and crud were all that was holding it together, and once it
is disassembled, it might not go back on and not leak. You can replace with
metal, but the new plastic is functional, cheap, available, and easy to work
with.

Steve

free books while they last!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 11:10*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have found on disassembly that
rust, corrosion, and crud were all that was holding it together, and once it
is disassembled, it might not go back on and not leak. *You can replace with
metal, but the new plastic is functional, cheap, available, and easy to work
with.

She wants to keep the sinks and lose the drain assemblies. There will
be no problem doing that. If the drain is totally munged, it can
always be cut out with reasonable care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Drains Update

On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

Everyone:

Thanks so much for all of your great feedback. I went to Home Depot
today and I purchased three sinks, and three new faucets. I decided I
did not want to put money into new cabinets and vanity tops, and use the
old sinks. The sinks were only $39 each, and almost like what I have.

I just felt this makes it all so much easier.

I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.

Thanks again. What a great group of knowledgeable people.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 1:47*am, Kate wrote:
On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:

I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but
replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

Everyone:

Thanks so much for all of your great feedback. *I went to Home Depot
today and I purchased three sinks, and three new faucets. *I decided I
did not want to put money into new cabinets and vanity tops, and use the
old sinks. *The sinks were only $39 each, and almost like what I have.

I just felt this makes it all so much easier.

I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.

Thanks again. *What a great group of knowledgeable people.

Thanks for posting the update. I often wonder how something turned
out afterward, but people rarely post an update. Glad it worked out
for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 6:24*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Kate wrote:
On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks,
but replace the metal drains.

Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?

Many thanks.

Kate

Everyone:

Thanks so much for all of your great feedback. *I went to Home Depot
today and I purchased three sinks, and three new faucets. *I decided I
did not want to put money into new cabinets and vanity tops, and use
the old sinks. *The sinks were only $39 each, and almost like what I
have.
I just felt this makes it all so much easier.

I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.

Faucets are easy too. *Put them on the sink (through the countertop holes)
before you put in the sink. *Once the sink is in, just connect the supply
lines on the faucet to the water inlets.

Install the supply lines on the mixing valves before placing the sink
in the counter. Dry fit everything before permanently mounting the
sink. It makes it even easier. No plumber needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 8:45*am, keith wrote:
On Aug 20, 6:24*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:

I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.

Faucets are easy too. *Put them on the sink (through the countertop holes)
before you put in the sink. *Once the sink is in, just connect the supply
lines on the faucet to the water inlets.

Install the supply lines on the mixing valves before placing the sink
in the counter. Dry fit everything before permanently mounting the
sink. *It makes it even easier. *No plumber needed.

And here's a straightforward video on how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb98_FARbRc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 5:45 AM, keith wrote:
On Aug 20, 6:24 am, wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

You make it sound easy. I may just try this. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 5:52 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 20, 8:45 am, wrote:
On Aug 20, 6:24 am, wrote:
On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:

I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.

Faucets are easy too. Put them on the sink (through the countertop holes)
before you put in the sink. Once the sink is in, just connect the supply
lines on the faucet to the water inlets.

Install the supply lines on the mixing valves before placing the sink
in the counter. Dry fit everything before permanently mounting the
sink. It makes it even easier. No plumber needed.

And here's a straightforward video on how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb98_FARbRc

Perfect. What a great video. I am not sure I could do this, but may
try it.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 5:26 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 20, 1:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I will let you know how the project turned out after it is
finished. I am still getting bids, and it will take about a month to
get the cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 20, 1:47 am, Kate wrote:
[...]

Splurging once in a while is okay, especially for stuff you will be
staring at 2-3 times a day. If the old sinks are basically sound, please
don't trash them- donate them to Habitat ReStore or similar. Some poor
DIY or landlord will use them to upgrade a bathroom that was even worse
than yours, so two people will benefit from your purchase. It's a karma
thing.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 2:48 PM, aemeijers wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 20, 1:47 am, Kate wrote:
[...]

True. I am giving them to an elderly couple I know that own a log cabin
apartment building. This man is 84 and works night and day on his
building. It is quite the show place, and he is pleased as punch to get
them. He even likes the faucets. The pride he takes in this building
is amazing. While I am sure he can afford new ones, I just feel good
about doing this. They are good people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in
:

On Aug 20, 6:24 am, wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Before you start, make sure the valves under the sink are not frozen and
that they shut the water totally off. If any of that is an issue you may
have to shut all the water off either at the meter or the valve right
after the meter.