Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing black gunk in sink drains

I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:
I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Thanks,

J.

Our sink train plug holds onto hair, and our drain gets nasty if there
is hair in it. Clean out hair, pour a pan of hot water with dish soap
and a little bleach down the drain once in a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:
I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Thanks,

J.

I have to ask what kind of stopper do you have in
the drain, a regular built in pull up and push
down fixture or do you just have a rubber stopper.
I don't see how you would know there was black
gunk in the drain if it is the former.

I personally don't care much what is in the drain
as long as it drains quickly. Maybe you should
switch to a modern built in stop mechanism or just
forget about what is in the drain.