Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

Default Possible solution for stinky kitchen sink drains?

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:45:33 -0700, Abe wrote:

I'm having a stinky kitchen drain problem. It's a double bowl kitchen
sink with a food disposer on one side. The black ABS drain pipes are
gunked up with rot/slime. I've already tried flushing with bleach. but
that doesn't do the job.

I'm hoping not to have to disassemble the drains to clean the pipes,
and am thinking of using some sort of foaming cleaner. I was intrigued
by a foaming toilet cleaner advertised on TV by that Billy Mays guy,
specifically because it is also a disinfectant (I think).

Any opinions about this approach? Anyone care to share a cure that has
worked?

Thanks,
Abe

If the ABS from the disposal is not pitched / slanted towards the
drain you could have water backing towards the disposal and sitting
in the pipe - hence rot/slime.

I would investigate and clean the pipes. Biggest part of the job is
getting everything out from under the sink, so one can work.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 09:20:48 -0700, Abe wrote:

If the ABS from the disposal is not pitched / slanted towards the
drain you could have water backing towards the disposal and sitting
in the pipe - hence rot/slime.
I would investigate and clean the pipes. Biggest part of the job is
getting everything out from under the sink, so one can work.

The slope is fine. Good thought though.

Dishwasher vent (top of sink) clogged???

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:17:26 -0700, Abe wrote:

Dishwasher vent (top of sink) clogged???

Nope. Open and flowing freely. It's just buildup.

Fill the disposal with ice cubes and then run it, cycle this once or
twice... a "cootie" in the disposal....??

Ordinarily, IMO when things are right, drain cleaners are not
necessary, but some might benefit from the use. M-80 (kidding)?

Oren